Post stroke follow up

Blown away - such talent, any of the top 4 would make worthy winners ?

? ?

Loved Kevin and Stacey then Faye and Giovanni. Lauren did really well but not quite,,,,, wonder who will go out? 

I think it will be between Lauren and Charles to leave this week. ☹

I agree absolutely amazing 

I absolutely agree! But,,,,who will the dance off be against? ???

Hi Danny, sorry you seem to be having a bad time at the moment.

The anxiety you are experiencing is so similar to what I had following the stroke I had in February. I used to wake at about 1am and was unable to get back to sleep. This made me so anxious but you have to remember this is an effect of the stroke you have had. My GP started me on an antidepressant which I take at night and it has really helped with my sleep and anxiety, I now sleep for about 7.5hrs a night and my anxiety levels are much better which helps me a lot.

Your commute to work sounds really hard and is probably not helping you so maybe if you get your sleep pattern sorted things may settle a bit for you.

There are lots of people on here who will be able to offer advice and just a listening ear which is sometimes just what you need.

Hope this may help and all the best with your recovery.

Ann

I think that knowing nothing about football is a sign of intelligence. Us soccer hooligans are quite dense. My Mum was born outside Tottenham Hotspurs ground so have to suport them a bit. And I went to Watford a lot, even had a season ticket. Watford is the nearest team to Harrow, where I have lived most of my life. Our house in Harrow has an excellent view of Wembley stadium. Wembley doesnt have a proper team, its just a stadium. Wembley used to be a large park. Barnet football team have recently moved to Harrow, very near my Harrow house and Harrow have moved to Ruislip. Wealdtone (Harrow) have moved to Harefield. All clear ????

Tinnitus I had always thought meant continuous, but I think I am wrong. I get noise in my ear some of the time and apparently thats tinnitus. I too have a friend who has it continuously and its a nightmare, she doesnt sleep well, her awareness is spoilt and she has to be careful when in noisy areas. She has some magic headphones that cut out all noise. 

Try baking an apple cake. Its very forgiving and I started with that. Then I did bread pudding because I like bread pudding. Again, its baking by numbers so I get that OK as well, although it took three goes before I got the flavours exactly what I fancied. I tried rock cakes (I like them) and they were hopeless. Even the birds rejected them.

I dont do the sponges etc . Living in a village means dozens of clever people bake cakes with ease. Several men also bake. They even have competitions for best cake. 

Not going to Church this morning. Its a weird service where we sit around tables and drink coffee. I will wait till next week when we have a more typical service. Car is looking happy, it knows I will be home and it is likely to get a warm shampoo and set.

Had breakfast in bed today. Thats usual for Sunday, but our dear cat came and joined us (very rare). He walked to and fro getting petting from both us and then curled up on the bed but snuggled up to Rosemary. He is still there now. He does have us on a piece of string, but I would do anything for him. He doesnt mind the SF. He just carries on regardless. Despite being a hunting cat and out all night, he very often will join us in whatever room we sit.He has helped me through the stroke recovery.

This isnt getting the car washed

Colin

Lots of food for thought to keep me occupied, Colin!! Not quite sure how today will pan out, as my husband's ear infection seems to have returned, he's very nauseous even when he's not moving.  I hoped antibiotics were dealing with it, and hopefully this is just a blip.  

Hope your car enjoys its pamper session   ? ?

You’re right when you say ears can be a problem post stroke. I’ve had tinnitus most of the time since the stroke and it’s a real pain to wake up with it and have it all day. It’s can become louder if you get anxious as well. 

I’ve noticed the tinnitus gets worse when we’ve been out in the car for some reason, whether it’s due to the road noise or engine noise I’m not sure.

I had a hearing test at our local hospital on July 17th which told them my hearing was reduced and am still waiting for an appointment to be fitted with a hearing aid which should help with the tinnitus - apparently the waiting time is up to 7 months. It’s disgraceful really but I think they count on people getting sick of waiting and go private for their treatment.

When I was at work (I worked in Cardiology in an NHS hospital until I took early retirement ) we had a waiting time which could be no longer than 6 weeks. We had to work overtime to keep the waiting times down. Maybe ENT departments are not subject to waiting times.

I have to say I’m getting better at switching off to the noise than at first when I found it quite distressing.

Hope you’re keeping well.

Ann

Dear Ann

Yes, thank you, I am not too bad at all. Had a very good morning, did far too much, and now I am suffering for it. But overall I am not too bad.

The noise thing is hard to follow. Aphasia is such a cinderella problem. And the ear things quite inexplicable. I had a big problem with any form of echo and I just had to work this out for myself. Movement such as travel can also be an issue and eye movement, again travelling, can be part of the problem.

When I lived in Harrow I attended Northwick Park and their audiology department was large and well equipped. And busy. The whole department has closed and the soundproof boxes left to rot. No doubt its all about trying to balance the budgets.

Long waiting times are unacceptable. It is a real nonsense, it doesnt help the staff to have a huge back log. Cancelled appointments and long waits really belong to a time when medical help was a privilidge. If we need to add a penny to our tax rate then why dont we do it.

Interesting that you are able to turn off a little. Maybe you turned off automatically pre stroke and now its a procedure for your brain to relearn.

Things do improve as we plod through this slow and difficult journey

Best wishes

Colin

Danny. id say be careful of doing too much work wise especially. listen to your mind and body, in my experience when iv overdone things it tells me off, big time. things can creep up, then bang, crash, wallop. I believe I rushed back to work too quick. after developing epilepsy, my new stroke side effect, first one resulting in being carried out of work by paramedics.new medications seem to keep the big fits at bay. ( it's a rare side effect, don't worry). 2 mental health crisis breakdowns. 

I decided my plan of part time work with a view to increasing it. brain said no. so iv given up on that one. so iv gone into early retirement. we are all different, occasionalmy some can soon get back to lots of work even full time. many cannot, even part time can be a struggle, over working these injured brains, not good. the live area of brain has to work extra hard. 

pushing through overdoing things can be costly, in my experience. 

cheers. v.

Good morning all!

Thanks for all the responses and advice. Received the diagnosis this week that I have severe Carpal Tunnel syndrome on my right side which was side affected by the stroke which hopefully accounts for the tingling and strange sensations in my arm, hand and bicep! I’ve never been happy to receive the diagnosis of an ailment before but at least there is something I can do about this. I had treatment for it from a sports massage therapist a couple of days ago and felt immediate benefits.

Yesterday I had my first appointment with the NHS Neuro Physio who seems to think my leg problem isn’t directly attributable to the stroke and hopefully can be improved with more exercise. 

It seems like I’m on a bit of a roll so managed to find my consultant’s secretary’s phone number. I called and explained that I hadn’t had any follow up following the initial appointment (where he didn’t even have my records). After checking I was informed that Dr ********* didn’t intend seeing me again despite him saying that he would need to as he hadn’t seen my records etc. One thing that hasn’t been affected by the stroke is my memory, my wife was with me as well and distinctly remembers this. Anyway she promised to leave a message for the good doctor with my phone number and he may possibly call me. I informed her that if he didn’t, I would be looking at making a formal complaint. It probably wasn’t the way to make friends and influence people, but to be honest I have lost all confidence in him and would prefer to be seen by someone else.

Still no news on my other tests - the 24hr monitor and the trans thoracic echocardiogram. I am assuming that no news is good news! Fingers crossed.

Just need to sort out the insomnia now and hopefully the anxiety will reduce.

Wishing you all a great weekend.

Danny

Excellent progress Danny. You have sorted put so much.

Colin

Thanks Colin, things seem a bit brighter now. I forgot to mention in my response to your last post that I support Coventry City FC so it’s generally stressful and has been for the past 20 years or so. Take care.

Danny

hi,,  thank u for post,, can u suggest a helpful hobby please,, thank u, do u mind me asking,, did u have vocational therapy pls, thanks