Post stroke fatigue

Dear Dennis

I havent heard the description of heightened emotions. But yes most of us get huge emotional changes. Roller coaster at first, but for me things settled down over about two years. The stroke association term this "emotionality" and they have a good leaflet to tell us about it.

A lot of us cry without much logic. very hard for us males. And a few laugh at things that are not amusing.

As John says, there is an expectation that we will "get better" and go back to "normal". At the very best we will go back to a new normal.

I am fascinated that this horrid corona thing descibes a "new normal". They have stolen our phrase.

Things will improve over time, it is a very slow process

Colin

I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering. I think once we have had a stroke of any type our lives change forever in some or other. Us fellow sufferers understand and "get" each other and know what it feels like despite our problems not being identical to each other. 

I do believe that the best bit of advice I was ever given was to listen to what my body needs. That was given by my stroke consultant when I expressed my concerns over sleeping so much in the months following my stroke! I kind of felt guilty for sleeping so much. 

I can honestly say that it took a full 12 months for me to begin feeling like my "old self". I gradually realised I wasn't tired like I used to be. Don't get me wrong I do still get tired but have always been a bit of a tired person, it's usually just by evening although I do have days when I just have to have a daytime nap. 

I think we have to realise that most of us will never be quite as good as we used to be but as with the Covid restrictions we have to get used to a "new normal"! 
For you it is still early days and I'm sure you will continue to improve slowly, please give it time and be patient with yourself and avoid at all costs doing too much as otherwise you will just set yourself back again.

Take care

Elaine

Hi my stroke was 3 years ago and I still have problems controlling emotions, I can cry at something on the TV and yes I am also alot more short tempered with everyone including myself, when I find I can't do things that used to come easy to me, I drop things a lot more now as well, I would be very rich if I had a swear box and that's something I never did before my stroke. It's very strange how things can effect us.  I still get stroke fatigue and find that if I have to get on the floor to wipe something etc, I can not get up I have to crawl to the nearest chair!  It is very frustrating, still onwards and upwards. Wendy

Hello Angela. I have written you a post on your contact page. I have enjoyed your two books so much. Laughter on one page tears on the next. I am 78 and 10 months ago had 4 strokes. I can't walk very well as one stroke was the balance of the  cerebellum. I have also lost some of the sight in left vision. I think that you are wonderful. Keep smiling. Love judyx

Yes am afraid the stroke fatigue can get to you at anytime anywhere. I had my stroke in March this year and although with constant exercising I still have days when I can do little. I find I go out to a shop just little things and halve way round the tiredness comes over me in waves! Very frustrating and struggle to get back home. I have found the forum helpful in reconising that you are not alone and stroke fatigue can be with you for a long time, Is it your brain still recovering. I hope it gets better for you. I do keep trying to think positive but when you are used to doing such a lot of things its frustrating having to adapt.My sympathy is with you I know how you feel. Hopefully when covid is better we can attend groups and feel better talking to other people who experience the same. Onward and upward I say! Reorita

Well done to you Angela in being able to cope alone and continuing to be positive. Its bad enough getting older without the constant struggle of stroke fatigue. I live alone but only had my stroke in March this year and find the stroke fatigue awful and frustrating. Your  comment has given me hope to keep going. Reorita

Hello Wendy. I could have written your post lol. I have the same problems. I had four strokes ten months ago. I too swear if I drop something. Not me at all. I am so very tired all the time also. Keep smiling. Love judyx

A belated reply , thanks for your comment. I guess I'm still stumbling along without any real help.

Thank you.. hope you are continuing to grow stronger... 

Dear Judy, I have only just seen that I have responses to my posts... how exciting is that ? !   Sorry for not replying sooner.   So glad you liked my books... I have written another Rag Doll Moving On out a few months ago. 

Hi Dave

Glad to hear you managed to get neuropsychology. I have days when have weakness in legs and arms and brain doesn't seem to want to help. Balance difficult and feel like drunk some days (and I don't drink). What's the difference between neuropsychology and normal physio

Rita

Hi, Rita, sorry but only just seen your post. Neuropsychology is different that it's to teach the brain how to cope or deal with instances of loss of balance, and weakness. Personally for me there is little that can be done as I am not as bad as some others. I'm hoping that with regular exercise, walking etc. my brain will adapt and and improve my balance. But in fairness I have not really seen any noticeable improvement. Also this Covid-19 along with stroke fatigue has had a marked effect on my social life .  Just taking it easy at the moment. But I'm ok. Thanks.

Dave.

Glad you are managing to deal positively with stroke, it takes time, as I know, a nd is o n e day good, o n e day not so good. Keep go I Nguyen. Best wishes Rita

Hi guys it's Carlene I had my stroke 14 months ago and wanted to ask about fatigue I've been off work for a year (teaching assistant) and went back this week for 2 hours a day for three days of the week, I absolutely loved it but I'm now so fatigued.this includes anxiety and crying, and I feel useless,I was wondering if anyone had been through this xxx

Yes many of us are just the same. I am male and i dont cry, well i do now. The anxiety is typical. These things will ease.

you are doing the right thing to return to work gradually.

Stroke fatigue is not yet understood, yet most stroke survivors suffer from it. 
 Smile a lot, be positive

you are not alone

colin

Hi Carlene, so sorry to hear about the stroke ?.  You have clearly made good progress to be able to return to a job you love.  A teaching assistant is an incredibly demanding job, it's exhausting at the best of times ?, so it's not surprising that it's whacked you out.  Try to make sure you get plenty of rest on your days off, and don't increase your hours until you have managed to build up your stamina.  

Unfortunately fatigue, anxiety and emotional turmoil are the cruel legacy of stroke, but I think these become more managable over time, although I doubt they go away for good.  Hopefully you have a supportive team at school, and maybe you could identify activities which you could carry out which would suit your current levels of energy, and then review this as you become stronger and regain your confidence.  I remember how exhausted I felt going back to school after the summer holiday, so I can't imagine what it must feel like after an extended period of 14 months!! 

So don't beat yourself up, enjoy your reduced hours, take rest on your days off, and gradually feel yourself getting stronger.  Think about what you can do, and congratulate yourself on staying strong, I'm sure the children were pleased to have you back ?, they always love their TAs!!!  

Take care, keep posting, we look forward to hearing from you xxx

Thank you for your response xxx

Thank you so much for your response it's very appreciated x