Peripheral vision and driving

Same luck to you Fella. To be honest now , have accepted the fact, But I’d have to be a 100% certain if something dramatic happened. Could survive by myself using poor bus service but my wonderful Wife more than makes up for the disappointment. But she’s taken to driving my old van when we go out wooding for our woodstove. So I do have a bit of fun. Paul

2 Likes

Thanks Paul I too am fully reliant on my long suffering wife who does the driving now
As I am still not recovered enough to walk to the bus or train I’m a passenger now and bar a miracle will remain that way. The incidence of recovery is rare and or long but you never know.

1 Like

Hi , my husband has the same vision loss but the right side of both eyes , after suffering a stroke in September . He’s 60 , generally pretty fit and active before he had the stroke ,like you he’s eager t get back to driving but has been told by the option that he hasn’t enough visual field , was wondering how are getting on with getting any closer to driving

1 Like

Hi Layla sorry to hear he has suffered from the similar issues to myself I was 58 when it happened and have been nearly 3 years In recovery

As I understand stand from my occupational therapist she will not book my assessment until I pass the dvla peripheral vision test mandated for driving which means I can provide the information they require including a written report from my optician on the quality of my vision.

Once I have a provisional license and have had some lessons with a qualified disability instructor I will be ready fo the test.
I have recorded improvements in vision with specssavers trst year on year and am less impacted by left side blind spots or leaving food on the left side of my plate. All good indicators.
My anusl test is next august so if passed off to dvla I go

Fingers crossed.

Good luck

2 Likes

@LAYLA Hi & welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your husband has had a stroke. It is still quite early days for your husband yet & hopefully his eye sight will improve enough to enable him to drive.

Hope you are both doing ok.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Hi @LAYLA

Welcome to the forum sorry you’ve had cause to join

If you use the magnifying glass above and you search for driving, visual field tests, and other relevant keywords to your husband’s needs You will find a lot of previous posts. 25 on Visual Field Test For example

Some of us put what we find we are saying often to new joiners in a welcome post click the blue text Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

The short answer is yes but the longer answer is that you can start the entire process from scratch,submitting a new dossier of evidence,a new application and hope to get another chance.

2 Likes

Hi @tony_cave that’s hopeful despite it being a long old process it’s good to hear you can get another shot if you don’t pass first time, do you know anyone who’s done this? I’ve been put off as I didn’t want to waste my only chance.

1 Like

*lady at my Stroke support group waited two years for chance of some improvement, before applying. Was told she only had one go. Had lessons failed but has now been allowed to book another , and that’s it. But feel if there should be an improvement in her vision and the confirmation by experts…… who knows. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Im going to have my peripheral vision tested this august and expect some slight improvement but not enough to be let loose on the road as the left side blind spot still exists so more time must pass.

Interestingly my occupational therapist said more people fail because of cognitive impairment than visual impairments. Which puts it in perspective.

2 Likes

My physio said I would never drive again. What do they know. Trust you own judgement. Don’t let others even professionals put you down

2 Likes

So true the professional people only see stroke survivors but rarely stroke recovery patients

I was told my left arm would be the same forever but wrong it can move a little plus finger movement so they got that wrong.
Keep positive keep going and time is your friend healing and recovering is so long and subtle that no one truly recognises their own improvements

2 Likes

I’d agree with that! I didn’t have any vision issues and the stroke consultant said to me I’d probably be able to drive in something stupid like 6wks. I surrendered my licence and got it back a year later, basically because I’d no further strokes or issues reported. But I knew my cognition was still lacking to manage and manoeuvre in traffic so I waited a few more months until I got the green light in my head.
I didn’t want to survive a stroke only to die in a car crash of my own making and taking others with me.

1 Like

It is a long and expensive process and not one that I could afford to repeat.
As an OAP I get free travel in London and after 13+ years of not driving I am fully adapted to life without a car.

3 Likes

Mr@frederickson good luck with the visual field test I hope you get more improvement, let us know how it goes. I have one booked too. I feel like I’m seeing more light through my blind spot but can’t make out what it is but able to detect movement if that makes sense. Most professionals see you at the start of the stroke journey when you’re at your worst, but probably don’t see the rehab side or improvements we make. To be told things will never improve is very harsh and disheartening

2 Likes

Good luck Elle I have a blind spot over my left shoulder so peopl can ambush me on the left and car doors ambush me so I’m not sure I have got to a point ready to drive
I’m looking for general improvement year on year which means over time I will get there

1 Like

Hi mr ,i mentioned on another thread theres a website called "eyesearch"developed by ucl and queens square hospital.theres lots of rehab exercises on there based on massed repitition, with1000s of repititions per game. I used it for my visual inattention and i gotb100 % in the onlinetest and was subsequently tested and given the all clear by my consultant.search for- eyesearch UCL . Wont work on phone or tablet but its free and seems useful. Good luck my friend.

1 Like

@kyhyber that sounds really good what was your sight loss? mine is Hemonopia left half of each eye. I would love to drive again one day did you go through exceptional circumstances?

I had clinically apparent visual inattention. Eyes were ok on thespecsavers tests but my damaged brain didnt process or ackkowledge some things i saw on my left side. I believe the eyesearch online training is for various common stroke eye conditions and seems to be well respected in academic circles. I didnt know my visual inattention was an issue until dvla took my licence. My consultant told the dvla it was an issue before he spoke to me about it!

Yes and my specsavers test year on year show progress in improving the left deficit side

Will try the website on my laptop and se my scores