Newbie, stroke at 50.😭

Simon, bleeding may not be in excess but you certainly ‘bleed more easily…and bruise.’ That’s why I keep a box of those little round plasters handy, because I can certainly bleed from a my finger prick to test my blood sugar. I even have to be careful about squeezing the finger because blood can easily shoot out like fountain…and I have managed to hit the ceiling with it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Can I ask why you’ve gone veggie?

1 Like

Hi @Toni.p
You sound more upbeat which is definitely good for your mental state :slight_smile:

If you’re back at work after a month then you’re doing really really well :slight_smile: watch out for the fatigue as it can be debilitating. If you have a spa day booked that will give you some idea of how you cope with ‘the excitements’.

Glad you enjoyed your wine. What did you have? With food or unaccompanied? I guess your stroke didn’t affect your taste buds? Mine did -I still like unfashionably oaked chardonnay’s but im a little less fond of heavily tannic reds - apassimentos & ripossoes are my preferences now :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Not my experience !!
And I quite often cut my fingers, get scratches from rose thorns etc in the garden or when fiddling in my shed

How much do you take? I take a 75mg aspirin and 75 mg of Clopi

1 Like

I dip in and out of meat eating generally as have crohns also which seems aggravated by meat for me, but always feel healthier when i dont eat it, and kinder to animals. So giving it another go!

2 Likes

Fair enough Toni, just be sure to keep your nutrients well topped up in your diet, the B’s are good for the brain healing, so much needed :wink:

2 Likes

I’m 75mg same as you and don’t take aspirin.

In fact it was far worse those first few weeks after stroke when I was also on aspirin.

1 Like

I am really tring to be, i know it could have been a lot worse and in a way im lucky ive had a warning, its difficult at times but being optimistic.
Ah no, i have been signed off work for 4 weeks, only came out of hospital last Saturday. I work night usually so thats also another thing to think about going forward.
Ive just had a couple of glasses of pinot after dinner the last 2 days, doesn’t seem to be a worry to the docs in moderation.
Having the spa to look forward to has lifted my mood, its a lovely place really relaxing.

4 Likes

@Toni.p you’re sounding much more positive which is great to see. Glad you got some meds reassurance from the pharmacist. In my experience they are a great help.

A spa day to look forward to sounds great. Hope you really enjoy it.

I’d see how you get on re work. You may feel fine but of not i’m sure you’ll get another note from your GP. It took me 18 months before i went back & fatigue was still a big issue. It’s different for everyone though & many people go back quicker than i did.

Glad you enjoyed the wine :wine_glass: :grin:

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Wow pinot and a spa, way to go. Keep a positive attitude. Accept good and bad days, the good get more. Be patient in rehab. Always keep an eye on the meds.
In hospital they upped my Bp - amalodipine - I ended up with swollen ankles. I complained to the doc and got them changed.

2 Likes

Hi, you sound just like me! I have lots of emotional days and do the worst thing and worry about having another one! I’m early days only 7 weeks in. I’m on the same meds as you but also on Ramipril for my high blood pressure.
Hope you have better days soon. Take care Sam x

2 Likes

I didn’t touch alcohol for some months after my stroke. Not because of medical advice, but because my balance was impaired (and still is to a lesser extent), so I felt as though I’d had one too many to start with. Other than that, I have made a pretty good recovery. I have use of all 4 limbs, though if I carry a drink in my left hand I am liable to spill it. I can also climb a ladder if needed. But put even a small stool in the middle of the room and ask me to get up on it… no chance!.

4 Likes

Hello Sam,
I’m now on 5 months. Today I feel really well. Are you in hospital or home? I was 8 weeks in hospital, I reckon this was good for me. I had the nurses and carers encouraging me on. One had had a stroke and was very fit now. She really pushed me (in a nice way), so I would get better. Little nudges are good. :wink:

3 Likes

Kind nudges are what we need for sure!:sparkling_heart: I was only in hospital 5 days and haven’t been offered any physio, I’m doing hand and arm strengthening exercises ( found out last night my 78 yr mum has more strength than me :woman_facepalming:t2::rofl:)
I really think apart from hands and arms I’ve been affected more emotionally and cognitively, I struggle concentration, memory and I’m just bloody exhausted!! :weary:

2 Likes

Hi @Toni.p
Welcome but sorry about your stroke.
Had mine year and half ago. Same med but not bp ones as mine was due to hole in heart.
The emmotion issue seems to be very common. First few weeks i blubbed twice a day but after a year is sort of back to normal, but i do find i get emmotional more than i ever did. The wife thinks its an improvement!
I found the site and forum really useful. The SA also has dome great booklets you can get. I phoned the helpline up very eary as for me the NHS gave me diddly squat eg first appt was 7 months! SA phoned me every 2 weeks to check in and gove advice. Really supportive.
I tend to look forward alot now. Cant drive a car looking in rearview mirror mate. You crash.
Best of luck! Ps love my beer. Now drink LAlc ones…

Hello Sammy, you should have had a discharge package of care; carers and rehab therapy. Anyway, get on to your local council for one. You’ll be accessed by a social worker, where you agree what care and provisions you need. You’ll be means tested too, no doubt. You should have already had therapists come to your home. That is the best way forward in the beginning.

The therapists will listen to you and should help as you are having other probs. as you have mentioned. Mine do. They understand fatigue in strokies too.

2 Likes

Which ones do you rate?

AF Guinness isn’t bad, I like the AF leffe too. In fact it’s not hard to find a decent AF beer but it’s bloody impossible to find an AF wine :wine_glass: who’s manufacturers shouldn’t be prosecuted under the trade descriptions act!!:smiling_face:
2¢

Mikey, I left hospital with nothing! Maybe I don’t need it, but apart from heart traces etc I had nothing booked! I had to ring up to book and organise an appointment with the stroke team. I’m meeting them in February. Hopefully I’ll learn more then. X

Never was a black stuff fan. Leffe is ok. Done a lot of “research”.
For me the better ones are either brewed then alc taken out or brewed with yeast to just 0.4 or so. I look on ingredients. If no yeast i dont buy. If no yeast they have not been brewed, they are just a concoction of “stuff”. I have also found un brewed non alc drinks are normally packed with sugar and cals.
I like Big Drop citra and DIPA. Nice flavors and 15 cals a can. Adnams ghost ship is good as is brew dog AF and Nanny State. There are some 2% beers nice too.
If you like gin try Haymans small gin. Its 42% BUT you only use 5mil as bitanicals like 5 x strength. Good flavours and 80% less alc the a normal single gin.
I coould go on… and on :0)

Hi Sam,
Good you have an appointment with the stroke team.
Make sure they really support you with good rehab.

2 Likes