Newbie, stroke at 50.😭

Wow thats exactly what happened with me. I thought trapped nerve, did a night shift Monday night! Wow and you were on meds already? Hope all goes well with your tests i cant fault the hospital, i had ct, bloods and ecg within 2 hours and mri the next morning. I still have the numbness but they said they are hopeful of a full recovery so i have to be positive and probably stop googling!!

1 Like

Ye hadn’t been reviewed for a long time though. can kick myself now. Hopefully it will ease. And thank you. Ye you can look too far into things. Got one of these links here hopefully they help.

2 Likes

Thankyou, really helpful. Hope all goes well for you too.

1 Like

Hi sorry you have had a stroke but welcome. This forum IS very helpful.
Had stoke bank holiday august 22. Same drug 300 asprin first 2 weeks followed by 75 clopidogrel and the ubiquitous antistat.
My cause finally traced to heart hole which was sorted last year.
Emotions were shot at first. Would burst out crying for no reason a couple times a day at first but reduced over time. Year gone and although no busrting out crying i " feel" things more than i did. Wife thinks thats an improvement!
Stroke Association is where i got most of my info from. I phoned them, got loads of literature from them and frequent phone calls which were very helpful.
Stick in there mate

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Toni.p and nose away, there’s plenty of information about the forum.

Try not to worry too much, the half of that is just raw emotions from the stroke and will ease over time. I’m 3yrs post stroke, others 10-15yrs and we even have a gentleman on here who had a stroke as a young child and he must be in his 50s now. It’s a hard one to predict accurately and those sort of warnings are geared towards those who continue to neglect their health regardless. If you are taking all your medications and living a reasonably healthy lifestyle you can reduce the risk of further strokes. Though none of us are ever out of the woods, we still have the potential to live many more years. Life is like a piece of string and you could be run over by bus in the morning. So rejoice in the life you have and let tomorrow take care of itself.

That’s as much as any of us can do if we are taking all the steps to reduce that risk.

2 Likes

Hi @Toni.p
Welcome :slight_smile:

Has your “nosying” turned up the Welcome post? - it will give you some context. Everything in your post is unsurprising too anyone who’s read this forum for a while.

The meds you have been given are the standard set. Probably sensible if your med team do investigations to rule out a hole in heart, AF etc - the common causes that would be a ongoing and avoidable risk factor if not treated. It’s not unusual to never find out the cause though. In which case you just have to trust in the meds.

If you fancy a glass of wine, I suggest you have one. I do. - start gently! & Don’t overdo it & keep an eye on blood pressure :slight_smile:

I don’t actually see a blood thinner in your meds (Clopidogrel is an antiplatelet to reduce clots) . It is the one I take and I don’t bleed excessively or bruise excessively either.

as others have said the emotionality is also common and maybe with you for some time and I can sympathise with those who say it’s an improvement!
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Thankyou for all you’re replies and kind words.
Its such a lot to come to yerms with, i have spoken to my gps pharmacist today who has explained a lot more about the meds and thats a little more reassuring - i think!
Have OP Echo and cardiac monitor requested so hopefully hear soon, still waiting to hear from community neuro team.
Blood pressure is still a bit up and down but a LOT lower than it was so thats good. The cigs have stopped and gone veggie so trying to be healthy. I have had a couple of glasses of wine and thoroughly enjoyed…
4 weeks off work so hopefully will be feeling better somewhat by then. I guess its all getting used to a new way of living, just need the numbness and dizzyness to subside now.
Have booked a spa night for the end of the month so something to look forward to.

2 Likes

Simon, bleeding may not be in excess but you certainly ‘bleed more easily…and bruise.’ That’s why I keep a box of those little round plasters handy, because I can certainly bleed from a my finger prick to test my blood sugar. I even have to be careful about squeezing the finger because blood can easily shoot out like fountain…and I have managed to hit the ceiling with it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Can I ask why you’ve gone veggie?

1 Like

Hi @Toni.p
You sound more upbeat which is definitely good for your mental state :slight_smile:

If you’re back at work after a month then you’re doing really really well :slight_smile: watch out for the fatigue as it can be debilitating. If you have a spa day booked that will give you some idea of how you cope with ‘the excitements’.

Glad you enjoyed your wine. What did you have? With food or unaccompanied? I guess your stroke didn’t affect your taste buds? Mine did -I still like unfashionably oaked chardonnay’s but im a little less fond of heavily tannic reds - apassimentos & ripossoes are my preferences now :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Not my experience !!
And I quite often cut my fingers, get scratches from rose thorns etc in the garden or when fiddling in my shed

How much do you take? I take a 75mg aspirin and 75 mg of Clopi

1 Like

I dip in and out of meat eating generally as have crohns also which seems aggravated by meat for me, but always feel healthier when i dont eat it, and kinder to animals. So giving it another go!

2 Likes

Fair enough Toni, just be sure to keep your nutrients well topped up in your diet, the B’s are good for the brain healing, so much needed :wink:

2 Likes

I’m 75mg same as you and don’t take aspirin.

In fact it was far worse those first few weeks after stroke when I was also on aspirin.

1 Like

I am really tring to be, i know it could have been a lot worse and in a way im lucky ive had a warning, its difficult at times but being optimistic.
Ah no, i have been signed off work for 4 weeks, only came out of hospital last Saturday. I work night usually so thats also another thing to think about going forward.
Ive just had a couple of glasses of pinot after dinner the last 2 days, doesn’t seem to be a worry to the docs in moderation.
Having the spa to look forward to has lifted my mood, its a lovely place really relaxing.

4 Likes

@Toni.p you’re sounding much more positive which is great to see. Glad you got some meds reassurance from the pharmacist. In my experience they are a great help.

A spa day to look forward to sounds great. Hope you really enjoy it.

I’d see how you get on re work. You may feel fine but of not i’m sure you’ll get another note from your GP. It took me 18 months before i went back & fatigue was still a big issue. It’s different for everyone though & many people go back quicker than i did.

Glad you enjoyed the wine :wine_glass: :grin:

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Wow pinot and a spa, way to go. Keep a positive attitude. Accept good and bad days, the good get more. Be patient in rehab. Always keep an eye on the meds.
In hospital they upped my Bp - amalodipine - I ended up with swollen ankles. I complained to the doc and got them changed.

2 Likes

Hi, you sound just like me! I have lots of emotional days and do the worst thing and worry about having another one! I’m early days only 7 weeks in. I’m on the same meds as you but also on Ramipril for my high blood pressure.
Hope you have better days soon. Take care Sam x

2 Likes

I didn’t touch alcohol for some months after my stroke. Not because of medical advice, but because my balance was impaired (and still is to a lesser extent), so I felt as though I’d had one too many to start with. Other than that, I have made a pretty good recovery. I have use of all 4 limbs, though if I carry a drink in my left hand I am liable to spill it. I can also climb a ladder if needed. But put even a small stool in the middle of the room and ask me to get up on it… no chance!.

4 Likes

Hello Sam,
I’m now on 5 months. Today I feel really well. Are you in hospital or home? I was 8 weeks in hospital, I reckon this was good for me. I had the nurses and carers encouraging me on. One had had a stroke and was very fit now. She really pushed me (in a nice way), so I would get better. Little nudges are good. :wink:

3 Likes