New Here!

Hi new here, I am a 50 year old with various health problems. Recently I have been certified and registered as sight impaired, however had the biggest shock this week when the hospital informed my wife & I that my vision problems are due have having had an ischemic stroke a few years ago and that this was noticed on a MRI scan back from 2019 that showed a bit of my brain had died off.
It’s been one hell of a shock as nobody at the time said anything and I certainly had no inclination of ever having a stroke. However because the eye consultant had requested electrodiagnostic tests as weel, these results have been read by a Neurologist was had also looked into my hospital records and found this MRI from 2019 and feels the level of brain death for my then age is abnormal and so pit it down as a stroke!

4 Likes

Hi @KivetonGuy
Welcome to the forum. Your case isn’t perhaps as strange as it may seem. When I had the stroke that put me in hospital I was invited to join a research program that MRI scanned me.

Then in a casual conversation some months later the neuropsychologist said “Oh you’ve had several strokes” I said it’s news to me and she said “oh yes remarks in your records and they can be seen on your scans, look I’ll show you”

That was the first I’d ever heard of my history

We have put together some information in a welcome post Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start but I’m guessing quite a lot of it may not apply to you if you had your stroke sometime ago.
things like fatigue patterns will have emerged and settled and if you were unaware of your stroke I guess you weren’t suffering physical deficits to a noticeable degree, ditto things like central stroke pain hasn’t emerged for you.

The knowledge might set you on a different course for therapies relating to vision. There are neuroplasticity exercises if you are optically ‘good’ but The brain isn’t processing the signals. In a funny sort of way this might almost be a source of hope?

The welcome post mention some magnifying glass above has a way to search The last amount of collected wisdom within the contributions here

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Hi @KivetonGuy welcome to the forum. That must have been a little disconcerting for you, hearing that news. It might explain any other little niggles you’ve noticed in yourself since that you were maybe putting down to age. Could your sight condition have been an optical stroke ‘anterior ischemic optic neuropathy’?

3 Likes

Hi @KivetonGuy ,

Welcome indeed and that sounds bloomin scary finding out years later!!

If you don’t mind me asking what sight condition have you been diagnosed with?

3 Likes

@KivetonGuy welcome to the forum. That’s the sort of surprise you can do without. Are they going to do any follow ups on your stroke? I was thinking more because most of us get put on meds but maybe they’re not needed so far down the line.

Hope they can help you with your sight issues.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Hi thanks , something called Hemianopia (no idea exactly what it means)

1 Like

Thanks. I was on and still am on meds for blood pressure, and Warfarin besides the diabetes meds!
I have been this week been referred to a couple of people from the Rotherham branch of the Stroke Association! An organisation called Rotherham Sight & Sound are due to do a home environment assessment soon and they have already said they will issue a white cane and teach me how to use it properly! The eye clinic liaison officer has also passed my details to something I think she said was a low vision service at the hospital.

1 Like

Eye clinic liaison officer said it’s called Hemianopia , whatever that means exactly!

3 Likes

HI @KivetonGuy,

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I also have hemianopia and I set up a thread on this forum about it!!

I have full right hemianopia so I cannot see 50% of my visual field on the right.

Try and ask your GP for a neuro-optalmologist referral and make sure you get verything you can like a CVI etc. Happy to discuss this further with you anytime.

This might help a bit!

You can do this!!

Kieran

3 Likes

"A hemianopia is where there is a loss of one half of your visual field. Hemianopia is caused by damage to the brain, for example, by a stroke, trauma or tumour. The extent of field loss can vary and depends of the area of your brain that has been affected.”

From this download: https://mft.nhs.uk/app/uploads/sites/2/2020/11/REH-280-living-with-a-hemianopia.pdf

Also see

and

Ciao Simon

3 Likes

Snap!!
We must have posted the link up practically the same minute!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, ok, there are a number of members on here with just that actually and I sure they’ll be along later who can explain it better than I can

I try and take advantage - for example partially sighted row 4 seats behind the goal for West ham v Man City today. With a free personal assistant!

Just a shame we lost :cry: :cry: :cry:

4 Likes

Hi I’m so sorry this has happened to you I have left side Hemonopia which happened at age 41 for me. So the left half of each eye is unable to see, which makes navigation of busy spaces quite difficult, my vision is quite broken up and moving around supermarkets are hard with lots of people disappearing in and out of view. Over time with practise it can become easier with scanning techniques, looking from side to side,wishing you all the best with your recovery, keep us updated on your progress. I have also spoken about Pele lenses which are visual field expanders which might be worth a try take care x

6 Likes

“Acute left parieto-occipital infaction” or “CT head showed left partial circulation stroke with expressive difficulties.” I’ve given up trying to convert those medical terms into layman’s language. I was admitted to hospital the day after my stroke on 21 February 2023 and discharged after two days. Readmitted six hours later with pain free “stress-induced migraine aura and fast AF”. The aura was incredible - paisley and other fabric-like visuals and murmurations of little copper balls. I’m due an EEG in two weeks as I had an epileptic fit 60 years ago and have severe sleep disturbance now from Hypnic Jerks although they predate my stroke by about ten years. Six months later I am in a lot worse condition; muddled, tired, wobbly, forgetful and weak. I find it very hard to manage without being allowed to drive yet. I have been lurking a bit around the threads to learn the culture of this forum. It’s good to read of others’ experiences.

5 Likes

Sounds really challenging! Good luck with EEG and yes Medical Terms are a language in their own right!

5 Likes

A few new or new to me people here. Please excuse my slow brain today…I try to keep up but some days it is just too much. The care is still very much there, though. I also have vision issues, although it is not hemanopia (?) but rather Osillopsia with downbeat Nystygmus. Either way, inability to drive or see things you need to, or trouble reading and balance issues due to visionor vestibular issues, we still have many things in common to address. Treatment is not the same, however many of our barriers are. Wishing you all the best, and hope I will ‘see’ more posts from you.

4 Likes

Had some additional details from the hospital in today’s post.

Has anyone encountered the term Cerebrovascular Disease?
Sorry for asking but I have no idea what it means.

1 Like

So basically it is referring to your stroke. Here’s some further reading on it Cerebrovascular disease: what is it, symptoms and treatment | Top Doctors

3 Likes

@KivetonGuy

How are you doing? Any more info?

What appointments have you got coming up?!

Have you got any more appointments? Keep us posted! Any questions someone probs @EmeraldEyes or @SimonInEdinburgh or @Bobbi will know something!!

Now if you want to lose yourself in a world of eloquent prose that both is wonderfully worded, true and makes you think then just ask @Rups :wink:

I know very little in the grand scheme of things but talk to me about hemianopia or polar bears and I’m your man :wink:

Stay cool :polar_bear: :wink:

This probably won’t help and sorry for the language!!

I think I tagged?!? or something you into that post but just thought I would reiterate that you are not alone. I actually love people with hemianopia!! We are special!! effed up but special none the less… I’m not quite au fait with the terminology yet!

K :wink: :polar_bear:

5 Likes