My experience - I feel like I've taken a step backwards

@Pinch after my stroke 2+1/2 years ago i spent months thinking will i have another one, I’ve given up on worrying about that. just take each day as it comes, as many will tell you, every stroke is different be patient and make your gp your new best friend, mine is fantastic, call the helpline @AshleyTH has the number it’s good to talk

1 Like

Thanks for tagging @chris67

@Pinch you can reach our Stroke Helpline on 0303 3033 100 or email helpline@stroke.org.uk.

They really are fantastic even if all you want to do is just talk to them about what you’re going through. They may have additional resources to suggest for you as well.

I would also recommend getting in touch with our Here For You team. Being able to talk with someone who has similar experiences may help you with some of your anxiety.

1 Like

Your journey sounds a bit like mine which was May '21. Cerebellar, no lifestyle issues, lots of tests, eventually found mine most likely due to having a hole in the heart (patent foramen ovale in medical speak) that’s been sorted and recovery has been very good.

The stroke team in the hospital were great, the therapy team explained what had happened and the likely effects mentally. Anxiety about further strokes is very normal, I’ve always had a very positive outlook but we always think about it. I was told to try and NOT wrap myself in cotton wool ‘just in case’ it might happen again, we could spend years doing that and nothing happen, in the mean time life has moved on.

Sounds like your doing just fine, you’ll find your limits. Listen to your body, rest up when you need to, do what you can when you can. My new motto is “Be Kind to Yourself” we’re all different, to a greater or lesser extent, post-stroke and it can be difficult to understand that but you’ll find here we all on the same page, and happy to share our experiences. This forum has been priceless to me over the last 2 years. :+1:

3 Likes

Unfortunately Im still really struggling with bad anxiety and the fuzzy feeling in my head. I called 111 today and the nurse who called me back thinks I may have PTSD, and was fairly sure I haven’t had another stroke. I told her that my subconscious voice really wants me to have another scan of my brain, but she didn’t think that was necessary, she’s told me to see my GP tomorrow and go through how Im feeling both physically and emotionally and find out what support I can access.

1 Like

@Pinch sorry you’re struggling with anxiety. That won’t be helping with the fuzzy head. Your GP will be able to check you over & hopefully help settle your fears a little. Anxiety about having another stroke is very common but does ease over time.

I had a really bad fuzzy head for many months post stroke. I thought it was never going to lift but it did. I still get it but it’s not there all the time now. Yours should get easier in time but it could take longer than you want it to.

Hope you get some reassurance from your GP tomorrow.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Hi @Pinch
Welcome to the forum and so sorry you had to join us

You may not be aware - there’s a new stroke survivors online cafe this morning (that’s Thursday 6th) at 10:30 on
https://bit.ly/StrokeThuCafes
Hossted by Louise and next a Thursday it’s up 1:00 run by me - (there are places just to chat freeform rather like this forum does in text but interactive via zoom) and so on through the year

You’ve made a lot of reference to anxiety. it’s completely understandable that you’d have it. Possibly the stroke messed with your emotions but even without that having such a life changing thawwp out of left field is naturally going to make you anxious it will happen again. First have faith that your meds are now dealing with a lot of that risk

The anxiety won’t help! my even cause it to some degree :frowning:
I’m 2 and 1/2 years on and I have a oh my god I think I’m having another stroke feeling about once a week in a bad quarter - some months a better than others. the combination of factors is so person dependant and there is so much complexity from the combination of light sound relationships food drink medication emotional state that establishing true cause and effect for things may actually be impossible - but it would be significantly helped if you kept a diary and then look back for the proceeding 3 days each time you have a wobble - the discipline work for some but not for others

There are quite a few anxiety management techniques You can find them on YouTube You can find them in mobile phone apps.
My nuero psychologist or neuro something else gave me a link to one that otherwise saved about £2 a month - but it was just a download from the play store. I can’t remember the name of it but I did find a link to the recommended ones I don’t know how free of commercial interest the recommendations are but it is Apps

Personally I find them a bit sandals and crystals but I did take from them the implementation of a virtuous circle rather than a vicious circle. The anxiety causes physical sensations that fuel the anxiety. For me knowing that was enough to break the circle. Rarely do I have to resort to breathing exercises (which I just can’t do on as commonly describe I just can’t breathe that slowly!)

You might find this picture useful
Anxiety post

If you use the spyglass icon at the top of the my stroke guide forum page and search for anxiety you’ll find lots of posts about it

Ciao

1 Like

Thank you to everyone. The posts on the forum have been so supportive and helpful. I think Im starting to feel a little less anxious but still worried about the fuzzy head feeling and also Ive had a tingling feeling in my left thumb ever since the second stroke and I feel sure it has got a little worse. The trouble is Im focusing so much on every symptom and maybe finding it difficult to determine what is real and what is in my subconscious. Ive done all I can for now, Ive spoken with the Stroke Association Helpline and my local contact, Ive had fantastic support on here and on a Zoom session this morning, Ive called 111, been to see my GP, had blood tests and blood pressure checked and everyone tells me that my current feelings are not unusual and I haven’t had another stroke. Ive also registered for a quicker counselling service after referral by my GP whilst I wait for Psychology sessions (Im already on that waiting list). My only option left is a trip to A&E, so Ill see how I feel over the next couple of days.

2 Likes

@Pinch good to hear you are feeling a little less anxious. It should kerp improving as time moves on & you realise you’ve managed to do something & it hasn’t caused a stroke.

I do think we become hyper vigilant after a stroke & focus on sumptoms that we probably wpuld have ignored pre stroke. I know I certainly notice every little thing these days.

As I type this i have my fuzzy head going on. I’ve had a busy day & it’s bought it on full pelt. You may find that’s what’s causing yours to be worse along with your anxiety.

Sounds like you’ve been checked over well. Hopefully the counselling will come thrpugh soon & I’m sure that’ll help you loads.

My very best wishes.

Ann

3 Likes

Nigel I’m glad the zoom cafe this morning helped.

There are no guarantees but you are doing the right things :slight_smile:

C u next week 1pm Thu too?

Best wishes

2 Likes

I just thought Id post an update. This morning I had a telephone appointment with the Psychology Department, a ‘catch up’ while Im still on the waiting list for full sessions. I went through my symptoms both physical and mental and they thought I probably had mild anxiety and depression, arranged another call for Tuesday and emailed me some information sheets. After about an hour they called back and advised that after a discussion, they thought it might be worth me going to A&E - but stressed that it wasn’t an instruction and not to worry. So, I went to A&E and was assessed and had a brain scan, saw a consultant and he told me there were no signs of a further stroke. Everything was fine apart from my blood pressure was a little high - probably understandably. They said I had done the right thing by going there. So Im now hoping the anxiety starts to lift a bit. I need to try and get better at managing it and also understanding that while my brain recovers Im likely to get these symptoms. Thank you again to everyone for the support and advice.

Nigel

5 Likes

Glad you’ve had confirmation. Hope its beginning to getting easier
:slight_smile:

Note your own words, it’s likely you’ll have reoccurance of the physical worries (with out without real evidence). Don’t automatically let that transplate to the emotional that then drive circle back around

Best wishes
Simon

3 Likes

@Pinch glad you’ve been checked over. Hopefully that’ll ease your worries a bit. It is all about managing the effects & pacing yourself even when you feel fine. It takes time to work out your limits & you’ll get it wrong many times i’m sure.

I keep a diary so I can track back on what might have triggered the symptoms so you can adjust next time.

Take care.

Ann

2 Likes

Pinch if I have learnt anything it’s that this is a marathon not a sprint I had a tia on a cruise kept quiet then stupidly went to work which I will be leaving I went to A&E and had emergency surgery apart from the initial headaches nausea dizziness I carried on people said wow you look amazing then I went downhill I had times of depression the fatigue is awful then I tell myself I am just lazy it’s really hard to get going then I have days where I think no I am doing well I have signed up to free online counselling with IESO that has helped me focus. Like you if I go out I am okay then next minute I am ready for home I set my alarm then put it on snooze I am trying to slowly build a routine I had issues with memory which the last couple of weeks has improved be kind to yourself you will have days of anxiety then you feel you can beat the world take little steps decide what you want to do is it going somewhere for a short walk or a longer walk take each day x

4 Likes

The anxiety has definitely improved significantly since my visit to A&E on Friday. I felt quite tired yesterday, no doubt because of what happened on Friday because of the Psychology phone calls, A&E and a little visit to a local church to see our 2 year old granddaughter be a flower girl at a wedding - how could I miss that! We weren’t at the wedding itself. So yesterday I just rested. I still have the fuzzy head, the only sensation I compare it to pre-stroke is feeling a bit dizzy - but Im not dizzy, I can always walk and balance fine. As the stroke was in the cerebellum, I guess it’s my brain going through rehabilitation in a different way to a week ago when I felt a bit better. I guess I just have to wait and see if this feeling wears off again or I have to get used to it, and probably take it a bit easier in the meantime. Thanks again for everyone’s support as I go through this experience.

Nigel

3 Likes

That’s great to hear

Be aware that it may not be as simple as it gets better and it’s gone away.
It may fluctuate. so don’t be disheartened if you get recurrence or differences. just accept that that’s the way of it.
for example I’m having a much better day today than I did this week. My wife’s just reminding me that I was worse a couple of days ago compared with today and I’m 2& half years post

Good luck

3 Likes

@Pinch welcome to the forum. Sorry I’m a bit late to the party. As others have said, much of what you are experiencing is quite normal for Strokees and I certainly suffered badly from anxiety a few months after stroke.

I wish you all the best on your recovery journey.

4 Likes

I think this must be reasonably normal as I wondered why I have dizzy spells and ringing in the ears but my blood pressure is really low now so check your blood pressure I don’t get it all the time now so I’m starting to calm down the problem is no one tells you these things that’s why this group is so good I had issues with my memory all of a sudden but have been better the last couple of weeks it’s the unknown if you think our brains have so much wiring it’s constantly rerouting and trying to repair thank goodness

4 Likes

@Stephen_Griffiths My strokes and aneurysms were also caused by endocarditis and sepsis. They cardiothoracic and neuro surgeons have each found a new aneurysm. I am wondering why since I no longer have, and no new endocarditis has been found. I do have a flutter in my new aortic valve and an enlarged aorta. Will have to speak with my Neurologist and cardiologist at my next appointments to hopefully get an answer I can actually do something about. You are the only other person I have seen with endocarditis. I am very interested in everyone’s journey, but especially yours. My strokes/bleeds were August 2021

2 Likes

Hi pinch I’m 6 months post stroke and was doing well with my recovery when I had a really bad fall in my kitchen and really hurt my bad right side all over again. Like you I’m worried that it could have been something to do with the stroke

but I just try to keep going and put up with the pain at night when I have used up my amount of painkillers for the day. Like people have said here rest when you need to and listen to your body. It’s all very frustrating but I’ve learned there’s little we can do about it. We must try to enjoy the successes and forget the setbacks. Set yourself small goals and celebrate when you achieve them. My next goal is to be able to balance on one foot without support . Sounds as if it should b a piece of cake but not managed it yet🤣 but I will get there . Please take care and try not to worry as it doesn’t help you. Love Suzywong

5 Likes

It should come, It took me some time -especially trying to balance on my left foot, with is the side most affected. I can manage it now (with a bit of arm waving) but my balance in not what it used to be. I can climb up a ladder without difficulty, because I can use my hands to grip the ladder, but trying to get up on a stool in the middle of a room without anything to grab hold of, is another matter entirely., I now have full use of my ;left side, though I am clumsy with it. Yes I can carry a cup of tea in my left had, but I am likely to spill it.A friend of mine who works in IT and telecoms using the terms he was used to, suggested that the stroke had destroyed the high speed fibre network of nerves on my left side - but the old copper cable network remained intact, and still functions. Which is actually quite a good analogy, as I can drum the fingers of miy right hand to a tune quite rapidly, but not so with the left.

3 Likes