More messin' in the kitchen

have u tried making b&b pud made from croissant or panettone or brioche?

i realise it isn’t in your waste avoidance regime but is v. tastie :slight_smile:

i don’t make but Lea does

2 Likes

One of my hubbies favourites. Well done on using your leftovers. We must get better at that.

I had a go at apple desert cake this weekend. Was very pleased with my first try. Used apples grown in our own garden.

3 Likes

I don’t need them to be vetted :rofl: as they are good but thanks for the warning. :wink:

Please can you send the bread recipe too!!! I will need to start with the bread and then follow with the pudding ha ha. I’ve acutally just bought some yeast as I was going to make some rolls… Inspired by you @Bobbi ta mate

Keep cool

K :polar_bear: :wink:

I made Chinese takeaway the other day :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

@KGB
I think the kitchen is a great place to get active. A perch provided by an occupational therapist has been invaluable. It lets me keep going for much longer being able to rest as needed. I have gradually built up some strength and stamina. I’m not a great one for exercise routines but actual hands on activity works for my mind set.
There are loads of YouTube videos about bread making. I think there is a recipe of mine in the forum here somewhere. I tend to use a bread machine which is very convenient.

@SimonInEdinburgh @Mrs5K @Janetb

Thanks for those suggestions, I find cooking, baking, brewing and so on very interesting to try and to learn about. Pre-stroke I had quite a variety of things going on, now I just work with what is practical, hoping to extend my range over time. Scuba diving after stroke? Dunno about that.

:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

I know and I can make some I’m sure I was just asking for your secret recipe!!! :rofl:

But I’ll have a back search and just make my own if necessary.

Do you use white or brown flour though pls?

I’ve got a high stool as a perch!!

1 Like

@KGB
You could try this (below), I would recommend it. It’s getting cooler now, so you will have to watch the temperature, it is better when things are warmer.

I tend to use Strong White but a couple of tablespoons of Wholemeal make the texture and appearance interesting. I’d just use white for a start until you’ve got the knowledge. To start getting technical, when I was making sourdough Rye flour was a part of the mix, but that’s rabbit hole to get lost down.

You might find the following interesting, I got good results with it.

2 Likes

Bobbi uses the hashtag kitchen on a lot of his cooking posts so use the search function and search for category / tag
He can advise about other tags I think cooking or something I don’t remember…

2 Likes

Thanks Chef - by the way watched this last night and really enjoyed it - on 4 on demand for free…

1 Like

@KGB

Hehe we’re watching the series now. Saw the original some time ago.

1 Like

Just watched the film so far. Will start the series next - well at some point - no spoilers please!!!

1 Like

@Mrs5K

Talking about wastage and recycling, I keep looking at peelings and off cut bits playing with the idea of a stock pot. I think it could have a place. As a base for a soup maybe?
Not made yogurt for a bit, but I used to strain it to thicken. The whey off that was good in cakes, scones, bread and so on.
When I was brewing some of the spent grain used to go in my bread dough, again making interesting texture, appearance and flavour. I very much miss that and the odd pint of home brew to chuck in a recipe.
Maybe I like my food and drink?

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

Talking about this, if you want to work with yeast in this country you really need a means to keep it warm and comfy so it can make it’s best effort.
I’ll play about with the idea and try to post a simple Proving Box design or similar maybe eventually, which could be useful.
I’ve suggested a cheap proving box from Amazon UK, in a post below. I’ve ordered one and will review it when I’ve received it and given it a try. I have a feeling it will be adequate. (Oh, it was £16.50 but has just gone up to £20.50, still a good price.)

1 Like

Would be very very useful for me thanks @Bobbi

I actually can’t remember what I used to do :rofl: :rofl:

But now I use just cling film and near a radiator if cold or in some sunlight if wram out…

stay cool

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

There are several types of proving boxes for sale on the internet, they are very variable in price.

This one on Amazon is £15.00 with free delivery
Amazon serial no B0C7ZPSFHK

Probably couldn’t do better than that. I think I’ll get one ordered for myself.
Let me know if you get one and I’ll show you how to use it to make a sourdough starter and then bake your own sourdough bread.

I’ll review it when I’ve received and tested it.

2 Likes

:flushed: How…Why…are they making your hair too curly :rofl:
I wait with batted breath for the bread to run out just so I can eat the crusts :yum:
Unfortunately my daughter has discovered that crusty delight and is a very sneaky contender for them :unamused: :frowning_face:

1 Like

We eat the crusts when they’re fresh hot out of the oven with a knob of butter !

2 Likes

I leave them with the remainder of the bread to stop it drying out, that’s why I eat them at the end of the loaf.

1 Like

Lea’s homemade bread doesn’t last that long :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s 4 of us in our house, I’d never keep up if we relied on homemade alone so we usually have both.

1 Like

Always an inspiration @Bobbi, I like your style.

1 Like