Mixed Emotions

[Lindareast]
Wishing all good things and a speedy recovery.

1 Like

@Loshy Cool Beans! and more fun.

2 Likes

This is reassuring to me. My partner had a stroke in February. Physically he has made an amazing rceovery but is struggling mentally. He cries at all sorts of things but was never an emotional person before so finds it embarrasing (however much we tell him it’s fine). In the 24 years we have been together I saw him cry twice before his stroke, he did more than that in the first day in hospital. The crying doesn’t wory me but it makes him angry. He also gets anger outbursts that I find a lot more difficult as he is often getting cross with me and quite irrational. Hopefully this will improve in time but any tips for how to deal with this welcome!

2 Likes

@sheepy this all sounds pretty usual post stroke & it is very early days in stroke terms yet. For the 1st 6 months my emotions were all over the place & I could often be found crying. It did then start to settle. I’m sure it will with your partner too. It must be very difficult for you when he gets angry at you. Stroke can make someone like that…some he probably can’t help but some is probably him coming to terms with what’s happened too. I’d just remind him you’re there to help him. Tell him how it makes you feel. If it was me i’d walk away when he gets angry & leave him to it. It should settle in time. Stroke affects everyone, not just the survivor. I take my hat off to everyone he cares for us. It must be terribly difficult for you too.
Best wishes.

Ann xxx

You know we talk an awful lot about the physical aspects of recovery, and I compare them a lot to babies firsts. I’ve never really touched on the emotional aspects much, but now that I think it about, they can be compared to babies too :smile:

Babies cry a lot and get angry and frustrated as well as happiness and euphoria and this is there only way of communicating and expressing themselves. And naturally its the care giver who gets it all. If you’ve had kids, think back to what it was like when they were babies, how did you handle it back then. The thing you don’t need to do is take it personally, easier said than done when that anger is coming from an adult. But give it a try as it’s likely uncontrollable for your partner, or as yet to relearn to control those sides of their emotions.

Thank you. I need to learn to walk away as I try to reason with him and be helpful and that seems to make things worse.

1 Like

Thank you. I try not to take it personally but difficult at the time. He is ware he can not control his emotions and that makes him cross with himself. Its a good analogy and when / if we get a follow up or some help ask about help to relearn control.

2 Likes

Walking away is probably a good idea but easier said than done I know. Hopefully it’ll settle in time. Hang in there @sheepy you’ve got this.

2 Likes