Introduction to My Stroke Guide

Good to hear that. At least I can have some kind of hope after all.  Feeling really difficult right now.  

Things get better as you get used to the situation you are in.  However, having watched others in the same position, it's obvious very few get back to 'normal' what ever that may be.  There will always be something not quite as it was, like limping or not being able to stretch your weak arm, or being slow walking... plus of course one is not getting any younger so it might have happened anyway!  I find other people extremely helpful once I got over having to ask for help, especially in shops when you can't reach something in your mobility scooter.  I have had to learn that others do things differently and to be grateful !  I am 91 now, so my body is not as strong now anyway...  I love having the excuse not to have to do anything if I don't feel like it ! 

angela

Thanks Angela, i love the fact that your 91 and getting into the forums and offering your input to others, thank you! 

I can only agree with, if you ask for help more often than not people will do their utmost to do that. I think the problem often comes because generally we dont like to ask for help and prefer to go it alone. 

I believe that when it comes to stroke going it alone for a bit (after discharge and therapy sessions) is neccesary to identify limitations, too much help in early days can become problematic. So i think that being brave and asking for and accepting help is a big part of recovery.

Thanks again for your insight :)

Don't give up, be determined to get things working, even tiny progress is better than none.  Listen to your body, rest when you are tired, sleep when you need to, do what feels right for you not other people.  However, remember they are trying to help you and don't understand how you feel when they remind you about things they think you 'might forget; even when you know that you haven't.  They hear stroke and brain damage but you know how you feel and what you can do, accept that you will be slower and more  tired but so will they one day! Try not to become a victim but be determined and don't give in when progress is slow, you will get there. Two years ago I could barely walk unaided, yesterday I walked for two hours in Puzzle Wood with the aid of a walking stick when things got steep.  Yes I was shattered at the end but I did it and that meant everything to me.  Be proud of your success, set little steps and achieve them, accept that there will be some things you won't be able to do at least at first.  I am a great knitter and couldn't cope with counting stitches and following a pattern at first but now, after a lot of unpicking, I can knit just like I always used .