Interesting article

Stroke articles in general (not academic ones so much) really fail to describe the emotional and mental problems stroke patient have. They just say “anxiety” or “depression”, or something else along with it (sometimes “apathy”).

I know from my mother how complicated post-stroke life is from just the emotional/mental perspective. Sure, she made a fantastic recovery on a physical level (almost perfect walking, balance, reflexes, etc.), but she was mentally a mess, so much so that she more or less lost her mind over time.

@ Pinch I didn’t read this article, so I am not referring to it.

Please take care, everyone!

4 Likes

@SueRat15 just popping by to say hi & welcome to the forum. I hope you find it a helpful & supportive place to be.

I hope you manage to get on top of your muscle issues soon.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes

Ann x

3 Likes

Hi @SueRat15 just want to welcome you to the club no one would choose to join if they could have avoided it. It’s a happy, friendly site full of support and some banter. Hope we hear more from you, take care :smile:

2 Likes

@SueRat15 Welcome and visit often. A good place to vent, share, and contribute to the conversation.

3 Likes

Hi Derek,

well we are all different people, at different stages post stroke, different age groups. What I mean to say is that any diagnosis / prognosis that I might make about anyone else, or myself is pretty useless. I must give it my best shot, believe in my recovery, and work with complete faith and optimism.

Tonight I have a locked glute, for example, but every other day when I get it, I rethink the whole problem, adding in or mixing up exercises with variety, taking notes, and trying to spot improvements and notice how each change in routine might have made a difference (or not). On the whole, I think my locked glute may be milder than it was 6 months ago. Maybe I’m too optimistic and just think that way? Anyway, I prefer to think that I am working through my problems, and will come out victorious in the end. Not perfect, perhaps, but I would settle for improvement and constant progress. The bottom line is there is always something we can do. However small. We are breathing, hence we can come up with a new solution / idea.

And if we can’t change our bodies, then we can change our mind. Yes, it feels impossible to change a habit of a lifetime, but change we must, adapt we will, and overcome will be our reward. I pray that all who strive to overcome their difficulties will work at the same old problem with renewed energy and fresh inspiration. We have it within ourselves to mend.

Have faith in your recovery
Thanks for reading, ciao, Roland

3 Likes

Hello Sue,

I hope your recent worries subside,
May I ask your age, and the severity mark of your stroke?

thanks, good luck, Roland

3 Likes

Have to ask, what’s a severity mark ? Can’t recall anyone mentioning this before.

5 Likes

Hi, I was 61 when had stroke, 68 now. Not heard about a severity mark, thats new to me? Sue

3 Likes

What are the levels of stroke severity?

The NIHSS score is defined as the sum of 15 individually evaluated elements, and ranges from 0 to 42. Stroke severity may be categorized as follows: no stroke symptoms, 0; minor stroke, 1–4; moderate stroke, 5–15; moderate to severe stroke, 16–20; and severe stroke, 21–42 [6, 7].8 Jan 2020

mine was 26 / 42
the NHS have a questionnaire if you would like to take it
google it, I’m too tired to find it
goodnight

3 Likes

Hi @SueRat15

I am a little tired but hello! And please keep talking to us!

Sue?

GIve me any feedback you want and I’m going to send an email to the guy with some help from other members and ask for a bit more - in terms of some added info…!!!

My housemate works for the Mail (but he’s ok!!) so he will also help me

But have a look at these if you want:

Kieran :wink: :polar_bear:

Oh and of course!!! :rofl:

Here is a picture of a polar bear just for you stay cool x

white polar bear on water during daytime

1 Like

I have read the comments on that article now and wow.

I’m going to comment through my channels - not on that post a comment thing - with a real way to contact that guy Barney. I will not allow those comments and our thoughts to go unsaid.

so anyone who wants to say something let me know

K :polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

Yes, this is a shame that you don’t know this. It’s not the end of the world at all, but you should have been told. Loads of people are not.

My mother’s stroke was a 17/42 (moderate-severe). She recovered very well physically but not mentally. Sadly, she went progressively insane after her stroke. Hard to come to terms with. She is no longer alive, but she just couldn’t get better in her mind. Someone told me that she brought her past mental history into the stroke. I think that had something to do with her terrible mental decay.

I hope no one on here gives up. Keep believing, keep strong, keep moving forward.

Take good care.

3 Likes

But your Mother lives on through you, Matthew,

@Matthew1798 You are a kind soul and you have a lot of experience and a lot to offer others.
& Thanks for being on this Forum,
ciao, ciao, Roland

4 Likes

I was never given a severity score for my stroke. Would it have made any difference? I would still have had physio etc & perhaps be in the same place iny recovery. Other than knowing what your score is has it been useful for anything else? I’m genuinely interested as never heard of it till I saw it mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago.

3 Likes

To be honest, it wouldn’t be something I would like to know. Don’t want to be classified as a number, it’s all about moving forwards IMHO

2 Likes

Here’s a link to the American NIH stroke scale

I can’t find the self assessment I did for myself.
but if someone finds it please could you post it?

4 Likes

Thank you for heartfelt words, Roland. They mean something.

I try to help when possible. I know strokes all too well from being a 24/7 carer.

By the way, the stroke severity scale, of course, is nothing definitive; it’s just a guide.

Did you know that actress Sharon Stone had a major brain bleed stroke in her 40s? She has made an amazing recovery over the years. I read that it took her 3-7 years to get better. She was like a 42/42, I swear, on the Stroke Severity Scale.

Are you still moving those hips, Roland? Doing qigong regularly?

Take good care.

3 Likes

@Matthew1798 yes, I remember Sharon Stones’ story. Also, Kirk Douglas who was unable to walk and talk initially, and eventually overcame those problems. I thought with all his money and private jets etc. none of it helped … he still wanted to die after his stroke. Well, that’s not unheard of. Then there’s BBC presenter Clemency Burton-Hill, who I looked into, because she played violin and has introduced many BBC classical music events. She was is bad shape after hers.

Anyway, these celebrities probably had the best rehab one can have, and I certainly believe I have a team looking after me which is second to none. So unlucky, but lucky, ultimately

Talk soon,
Yes, everyday some Qigong, it never fails,
ciao, Roland

3 Likes

Thank you for the welcome. I am lucky to have recovered well. Best wishes to all x

4 Likes

I was just mentioning Sharon Stone because she only had a 1% percent chance of surviving her brain bleed. If what I read is true, her recovery was remarkable. That said, I understand your point in saying that they would have had the best care, etc. because of their extreme wealth. But there are limitations, even when you have loads of money. There is way more to recovery than money.

You have the best care plan: you’re doing qigong (can think of anything better). And, your wife, your Chinese doctor and all of us on here are all behind you.

Haola - all is well, getting better!

3 Likes