Insomnia again

I usually replay each narrative from various starting points, sometimes from the beginning, always adding fresh nuances to it. Each narrative is intentionally, unexciting, or lacking in dramatics or tension. This avoids stimulating my mind. I have had adventurous episodes in my mind before and they tend to keep me awake, but the narratives I invent are very much becalming, and I never base them on anything real.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I’m more than happy to discuss or advise anything or anyone if it can help. It helps me greatly to know that I’m not alone in this situation and I send light and warmth to everyone else who suffers from some pretty serious or bad problems after a stroke. I’m still being surprised all the time by new problems and annoying things that happen.

1 Like

I’ve tried lavendar on the pillow - it’s good
I couldn’t sleep for more than an hour or two per night this January
It set me back a long way

When my health got stronger i was eventually able to sleep
Good luck.

2 Likes

Yes have lavender sprays and oil have tried the lot am glad it has helped somebody though☺️ think this is more deep rooted but lots of luck to you also for the future.

1 Like

Thx Lorraine,

Do you think it’s something to do with your mind or your body?

I was/am writing a book about my stroke. I was on my Chapter about lack of sleep,
the odd thing is that in the book, towards the end of the chapter, I felt I had resolved my lack of sleep… then it came to be. I could sleep. So what I’m saying is that writing about what you think is going on, and maybe telling someone your story, helps you to understand and for your mind to settle.

You have probably tried this… but just in case not
Good luck, Roland

1 Like

Thanks for this Roland all I know is that my doctor has given me blood tests for everything going and all were fine which does suggest probably my mind I write a diary of my days but not quite the same as most of my days (and nights) are much the same so may give your suggestion a try. Good luck with your book sounds like your very talented :hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

Hi
I had a l cerebellar stroke 5 years ago and suffered many sleepless nights was recommended Camomile Sleep Tea which worked for me. It has got passion flower, camomile & apple with Vit B 3 in it . It can be bought from Aldi (thats the only one that worked for me ). It got me back to sleeping 4-6 hours every night .I took it continous for 6 months now seldom use it. Its worth a try. Good Luck

1 Like

Thank you :blush: am willing to try everything that’s suggested to me . Am glad you found something that worked for you.

1 Like

Hi @pando. This post rings true. I read an article at the weekend, can’t remember the author but she was basically saying that when you can stop worrying about not sleeping, sleep comes. Makes sense, initially anxiety over everything else, swiftly followed by anxiety about not sleeping due to the anxiety. Self fulfilling prophesy. Less easy to break that cycle than reason it, but trying to accept the situation is part of the solution I believe. Hope this helps, just a different way of thinking about the same thing, Julia x

3 Likes

Yes Julia,

when I felt I would sleep again, I was confident I would because I wanted to. Somehow I knew it. In my case there were a few extra things that helped. I got some sunshine, I remembered to take my liposomal vitamin c every day, I took seratonin ( from which we make melatonin ) and a few other things helped me to reset my body clock… Cheers, Roland

3 Likes

I had alot of problems sleeping after my stroke, i tried melatonin but i only managed a few hours on good nights with it, and became less effective on me, i have however got on really well with amitriptalene (i first read about it on this forum - so thanks other members!) i asked my doctor after i saw so many people post stroke used it, and he was happy to prescribe it to try as non addictive etc so suitable for longer term use too. Mindfulness is also useful as i just found that even though i was relaxed and not stressed etc my brain had just forgotten how to limit the ‘inner chatter’ a little more before sleep.

2 Likes

Hi Lorraine
Had insomnia pretty badly for first year or more, like you had stroke just over 2 years ago. i have been taking CBG oil G not D and kanna tincture which have helped calm my nervous system and improve sleep. Also take the neurotransmitter 5HTP which is brilliantr for getting off to sleep. Hope this helps.
Blessings
Val

1 Like

Oh thank you for this advice have heard of this 5htp what dosage would you recommend? Seems to be a lot of different ones on the market.

1 Like

No problem everyone here to help each other.

Just wondering wether anyone was prescribed zopplidem for there insomnia. Doctor has just prescribed for me as a last resort .just wondering if it helped anyone else and what side effects it had . Thank you . (Not sure if have spelt right)

1 Like

I just take 1 each night. Have had different makes, all from griffonia seeds.