Independence

I have read of many recovering stroke survivors on our forum and it has given me hope, however the point of independence is key to rebalancing the altered existence, it gives carers freedom from their obligations and the revival of a shattered life

I am assuming independence comes shortly after a gul recovery but I may be wrong
For me independence is being able to walk most places without my carer hovering over every step, dressing and feeding mysel, washing and shopping and getting back to driving again.those are the headline parts probably more but it’s a start

I think independence is relative. I can walk to a certain degree, shower by myself, bake, cook, do a little ironing and, despite the difficulty, change a bed. However, I can’t do much lifting,have a wonky left arm, can’t walk far, can’t hold a fork and need help shopping and going up steps with no rail or balustrade. I am taken everywhere by car.

I don’t have carers, but rely on my partner for things I cannot do. I class myself as partly disabled. But ai battle on.

1 Like

Thanks for your story John, suppose I call independence the ability to survive and operate ones life with minimal intervention by a carer or third party, looks like you have done very well andill no doubt get yhere.good luck

I class myself as independent and partly disabled. I have no use of my left arm, can only walk short distances, but I live alone, drive, work (part-time), cook, can change the bedding. I don’t iron, a friend mows the lawn and does any heavy carrying in the garden.
The key to independance is partly the right gadgets and partly finding ways to adapt to disability - for example I worked out a way to put up shelves one-handed.

2 Likes

Fantastic, same disability as me you have given me inspiration and hop, not sure my vision will right itself anytime soon but always hopeful, great achievement :sparkling_heart:

Hello @Janetb. Thank you for sharing this. Finding what works for you is the key, trial and error is often the only way, accepting there will be a significant amount of errors. Well done on the shelves and working it out👍 Julia x

Good advice I am walking around the outside of the house once each day looking to increase the stamina then go stick free outside as a real bonus