He's not a priority

You sound very upset @Shelbo

if you need to talk then you can send me a private message

I’m sorry I missed your august post. booger. not got easier!! Be strong. You are.

Kieran

3 Likes

Kieran, at the moment you are not just a survivor, you are the support that many people need. Thank you.
I will put on my big girl pant in the morning and take on the world.
Shelagh.

6 Likes

I think at 79 you are wearing the pants for us all!!!

I’m currently listening to Labbi Siffre Something inside so strong.

You’ve so got that Shelagh - I’m being stronger because of you.

xx

Here is a picture of a strong polar bear because she is nearly as strong as you

Polar bear - Wikipedia

Marching on - I have so much faith in you!! more than in me!!! Thank you

4 Likes

Yes, a lot of people run away, even family and friends. Taking care of someone with a stroke is not as people might imagine – way, way harder.

It was all me and dad taking care of my mother. She lost her mind over time.

You find ways to adjust and get used to your new life - you just do somehow.

3 Likes

Sounds really awful what you are both going through!
I find the attitude of the Consultant very uncaring indeed and then they have the outrageous nerve to walk on on strike at times. (though that is quite political)
Given both of ages, I wonder if perhaps Age UK might be able to offer you both some assistance?
Good luck though.

3 Likes

Yes I was going to suggest a Age UK so I’ll give @KivetonGuy’s suggestion a resounding second

Also citizens advice bureau because they will have knowledge of the local authority support services & other local outreach. I’d also check for a stroke support group in your area - click the blue text Which will take you to a locator map

In terms of physio there’s an awful lot that you can do yourselves / He can practise before he comes home If the physios or YouTube shows him how. He’s actually getting more a week than I got in total while in hospital but then I had my stroke during lockdown

Keep posting here and we can keep giving you support and pointing out sources of possible help

Hugs ciao

Simon

3 Likes

Hi. West Wales. My wife 79 and identical regime. Told every day about shortage of staff. In every department. But no shortage of admin/managers on £100k! Yet you read that frequency of rehab is important. Is three sessions worth doing at all. Very frustrated. 15 weeks now

6 Likes

I was 54 when I had my stroke and I managed around 3 sessions a week in hospital. I had a slightly prolonged stay as couldn’t leave until the ward was COVID free.
I would say that the physio I received was as good as anything I have received after. I will forever be grateful to them.

I only managed at best 4 half hour sessions a week in the privately run “world class” rehab centre and with bank holidays, was often 3. This centre barely bothered with hand and arm recovery.

The run down is deliberate. Hopefully there will be a chance to change this soon.

4 Likes

It is Tony but if you can, you have to try to build on those 3 times. My bed became a safe mini gym at times with various exercises.

Does it work ? I don’t have the same power but I’m more flexible now on my weak side than I am on my strong side. Wondered at times what the point of all that stretching was. Takes some time but eventually it becomes more obvious.

3 Likes

@Shelbo I’m sorry to hear what you and your husband are going through. I can’t believe the situation hasn’t improved from the one my Husband faced 3 years ago and that was during the pandemic. I couldn’t move him out of bed alone at 57 let alone 79 years young. They forget that paralysis makes you a “dead” weight and you are unable to help. The aftercare for Stroke patients is sadly lacking and needs to be addressed. I hope you get help soon xx

4 Likes

HI @Shelbo

How are you doing? Have you managed to speak to someone and get some more help?

Kieran

:polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

Hi Kieran,
I’m at the hospital now, being told resources are stretched and new intake have to be prioritised.
I’ve now asked for everything to be put in writing, that way they will either re-word and change their attitude or say the same and help me make a case.

4 Likes

You can post on here whilst at the hospital wow. You are cool as.

You sound very sensible. Exactly as I would do. Say right if that’s your attitude then:

just put it down so I understand why you are saying that my husband is not a priority and why you can’t get me in touch with other people who can help…

I’m very impressed with your stoicism.

Keep us posted.

May I also suggest call your GP and get them on board and as I said previously adult social services.

Tell me where you are if you want and I will look up a number for you.

Did you try the SA?

Keep on being cool and strong like a matriach polar bear - but I doubt any polar bear is as strong as you at the moment.

You are brilliant

K xx

:polar_bear: :wink:

3 Likes

Kieran,

You are amazing in how you try to help others on here. God bless you!

Take good care.

3 Likes

@Shelbo sorry i’m a bit late replying. In addition to everything that’s already been said you coukd complain to PALS at the hospital. I know they have to prioritise but what you describe is unacceptable in my opinion.

I hope you manage to get things sorted soon.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. It turns out in Southport I have to talk to the ward manager for anything relating to in-patients, so that’s what I’ve done. In fact everyone knows now that I’m extremely unhappy, and so is my husband, though he doesn’t “do” extreme.
Shelagh

4 Likes

Hello Tony, 15 weeks is a very long time. I guess 3 sessions is better than none, but when I try to help I’m told they are the experts and I may hurt him. I can see their point, but I wish they’d consider ours.

3 Likes

https://www.sefton.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/adult-social-care/

xx

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive messages. They are scheduling another meeting for some time next week when we can talk further. My husband is telling me the aim is for him to be walking by the end of October so I’m so confused, and he expects to be able to manage a few stairs so I mustn’t sell the camping car. I guess there will be a load more questions to be asked about where he got all this information.

3 Likes

How are you doing to day Mrs Southport Stroke Warrior?!

Has he expanded?!?!

Oh and did you get anything in writing?!?

K xx

:wink: :polar_bear:

3 Likes