Help, Mum day 5 post stroke and ups and downs, I’m so scared

Shame I support Scotland! :scotland:

1 Like

Not yet, we have made a couple of enquiries for stair lifts although the physio said today until she is walking better that would not be an option, it would be a bed downstairs.

We are meeting OT on Monday to discuss where we are - I think she will move to the step down stroke rehab ward soon as she is no longer acute - I’m hoping that will help too as her environment is not great. Then looking at caters etc I guess.

1 Like

Yay well done your mum. Hope she continues to engage in physio.

It must be hard for her in hospital if there’s no one she can chat to. Makes it a very long day.

She’s doing ok though despite the ups & downs.

Xxx

3 Likes

I hope so. The physios were trying a bit of tough love with her today as softly softly so far doesn’t cut it.

I spend so much time trying to work it all out and then just realise that there is no straight answer for any of this, we just need to keep chipping away and hopefully she will come back to us x

2 Likes

Have you read the post 40 things

It may give you more perspective?

A problem maybe that the qualities that you are used to in your mother and you assume are still there are going to be on pause at the very least and possibly have been damaged & changed, possibly destroyed.

Whatever the case is, there is a balance to be struck that no one can truly know what is best between giving space now or pushing now and it’s possible whichever choice you make will be right or wrong.

I know that’s not helpful as I’ve stated it.
The helpful, I hope - advice is - this is going to take many months probably some years so maybe ease off a bit because I’m guessing that non-communicative means energies used up elsewhere.
forcing something is making demands on reserves that aren’t there. If it was my experience it would have been counterproductive in fact it still at 36mths
when I shut down it’s because I can’t do something else and tough love is mistake is that just me perhaps ?
others will say if they would benefited from it a push or not - I suspect not in the 1st 6 to 12mths

1 Like

I hear you Simon, and my choice of words may not have been the best.

What the OT & Physio were essentially saying is that physically she is capable, medically she is capable, we just have to work on a way to spark her engagement in the Physio work so that she can move on with rehab and getting to her end goal of being home. Because not pushing her a little could result in her regressing physically and ending up with a harder battle than what she started with.

It’s not about getting her ‘back to normal’ asap, it’s about getting her to a place where she can begin to build her new life in an environment that’s conducive to healing.

Let’s call it ‘positive encouragement’. They’re not trying to push her too much but with the same token, they want to progress her from the acute unit into the rehab ward where she won’t be surrounded by extremely unwell folks so she can have more mental stimulation as that seems to be a contributing factor in her current mood slump. If she can achieve these small steps they can look at getting her home.

2 Likes

Deffo a balance & exploring
So hard to know what’s right
You’re in my thoughts - g’luck
i guess my heart says “don’t rush”

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@nsw72

Scotland rugby 45mins!!! :rugby_football: :rugby_football: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :polar_bear:

Malik the polar bear loves to make a splash with his new rugby ball | Rugby  ball, Rugby, Polar bear

2 Likes

I know! Just home from seeing mum and about to take my goddaughter for a driving lesson for an hour then will head back up to watch with mum and dad. I’ve left my dad with instructions as to how to get it on the iPad which could be interesting…

Mum looked brighter today, had physio and a shower and ate breakfast and lunch. Huge improvement. They’ve got her a good recliner chair now which is better for her with her spine issues.

I expect she will be very sleepy later but today has been a better day for a while so I’m heartened. Just to see a little brightness really helps us to keep going too x

M’on The Boys :scotland:

3 Likes

Excellent!!

brilliant!!!

Come on scotland!!

:polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

Apologies if we’ve already had this exchange I’ll just blame my strokey brain but are you somewhere north of the border ? Or perhaps from north of the border?

1 Like

@nsw72 i am really pleased to hear your mum is brighter today. Long may it continue.

Hope your dad worked the ipad to see the rugby. Enjoy the match. Xx

3 Likes

Can’t offer much but thinking of you and your family❤️

3 Likes

Thank you so much, that’s very much appreciated x

2 Likes

He worked it but Mum didn’t watch it, but that’s okay. She’s had a few visitors today and has eaten really well this evening. They have got her a better chair so she is more comfortable.

4 Likes

I’m in Bromley, but my Dad is from Airdrie originally (went to Glasgow uni and escaped to the south where he met my Mum). My Bro is in Edinburgh and Mum, Dad & I are big Scotland rugby fans. My Bro, in EDI is an England fan, go figure.
My name is Nighean which is a good Scot’s gaelic name so I’ve spent my life explaining my heritage so that’s maybe why my heart is in Scotland :scotland:

2 Likes

That’s really great (the eating)

Simple things may make all the difference

Fingers crossed
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent @nsw72

Is it just my eyes or is that a massive mug?!?!

Chair looks very comfy!! Needs a couple of polar bear cushions to make it perfect but hey ho!

Where in bromley are you? I have a good friend who lives near the magistrates court and theres a pub - forget the name near the sains - not the spoons another one at the junction?

So can we call you nige?!?!

Ha hs sorry for any offence!!

:rugby_football: :polar_bear: :wink: :scotland: :scotland:

1 Like

Def not Nige! It’s pronounced like Ian with an N at the front.

I’m Bromley south end. I think you’re thinking of the Swan & Mitre, or rhe Swan & Minger as it’s locally known :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, trying not to get my hopes up too high but a vast improvement to where we were 36 hrs ago.

3 Likes