Heavy Limbs

Hi DDMH I don’t know,that may sound silly one minute you think something is happening then back to reality. I’m going to use the oil under the tongue apparently that gets in your system quicker than capsules,so Watch this space I will let you know in a couple of weeks🤞

2 Likes

Since my stroke the left arm is dead weight which I drag around every where, the leg has limited movement but is good enough for poor stick free walking but pain in the leg travels up my left side to my face head andhip, yawning makes it worse and more intense

1 Like

That sounds really difficult for you. Have you ever had the pain checked out by a medical professional?
I’ve made limited progress with my heavy leg but I rarely have any pain with it (thankfully).

Sadly the GPjust throws pills at it hence the amiltryptapine and gabapentim neither of which have made any difference

@mrfrederickson
Tried simply standing on the spot, feet firmly planted on the floor a little apart, gently transferring weight from one hip to the other? Maybe have something solid close to hand to steady with if necessary. (table, chair or similar furniture)
Repeat then rest, for a few minutes, then repeat again. Target: to feel comfortable, balanced and solid.

For the arm, rest in bed lying outstretched. Place the weak arm on a pillow. Now try to reach still supported by the pillow so the hand is stretched as far as you can reach from the elbow. Again, relax and repeat. Target: To get some movement and sensation into the arm, even if only a little.

The effects of these exercises is cumulative and leads to further advances, but it is a slow process.

The standing exercise can be performed each time there is a need to stand. The bed exercises can be done when you can’t sleep or when you rise or retire.

1 Like

I have it in my right leg and the first time were to the docs and she said nothing wrong with it so the next day when to hospital they said spine in foot now another 2 times with it and think to go to docs and them .
Please let me know if you have do it

I saw my physio on Friday & there has still been no progress with my heavy leg. She is still convinced it’s not normal after a stroke but has now referred me for some gait analysis, a splint (or support) & possible FES. She thinks this might help my drop foot. Fingers crossed. I’m getting frustrated with the lack of progress which isn’t for want of trying. She has also written to my GP to say she thinks it’s caused by FND rather than stroke. I spoke to my GP yesterday & she asked if it was ok for her to leave the leg issue to one side at the minute as she is more concerned about my blood issues which could also be feeding into some of my other symptoms. I was happy for her to do this as will still get the gait analysis etc and if that doesn’t work then I guess I’ll continue walking with my limp for a long time :woozy_face:

1 Like

@Loshy thank you Loraine. The blood issues are causing me some worry & am waiting for a haematology appointment. GP is monitoring my bloods in meantime. I’ve lost count of how many blood tests I’ve had in the last 2 months :rofl:
I agree there always seems to be something after a stroke. Xx

2 Likes

thank you for me making me giggle…goshhhhh such a embarissing stituation… :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

exactly how i feel. … nerve relaxant makes me yawning all day long… my neurologist got tired of me and in the end did my PET scan which is clear Thank God but now when i call my GP to tell her how rubbish i am feeling she just look at that report and tells me i am perfectly fine. just keep taking your nerve relaxant… so i am living a zoombie life. but i cry to stay human.

thank you trying my best… but somedays just far too heavy…

God bless you and all x

3 Likes

How did this go Martin

Cheers

I have similar problems,but upon Internet investigation they seem to come under the heading of “frozen shoulder”. My shoulder joint is not exactly frozen but it ideally could be a lot less awkward and heavy. I read that to eventually correct this problem one has to really stretch the affected limb and joint. Not my favourite exercise as it hurts but nevertheless it does seem to gradually improve things. Russ.

2 Likes

A recently installed extra banister rail forced me to exercise the arm and shoulder.

There have been definite improvements in mobility for my shoulder and arm.

I don’t really make good use of the banister but the stretching and reaching is having a positive effect.

I have been told that repair of the nerves effectively begins at shoulder and hip and progresses along the limb.

1 Like