Hearing changes post stroke

@LisaCorrigan welcome to the forum. I read your post with interest. I have permanent tinnitus - high pitched ringing in my ears - along with being sensitive to certain sounds. Like you say it causes pain. I am waiting to see audiology & really hoping they can provide something that helps. I also hear my pulse in my ear especially at night time. All of this started after the stroke so guessing it must be related.
Good to hear there is hope though.
Best wishes

Ann

Hi Lisa , stroke nearly 3 years ago , since hearing problems. Not good, actually just come in from sitting in garden, as neighbour cutting grass, just small electric mower , but sound, is bad for me.

Hi Lisa, Hit wrong button :joy: . Caringing on / Oticon hearing aids, for tinnitus I was booked in about 6 months ago , unfortunately just can’t manage appointments, Always hoping things will improve. Hearing is also bad , crank up tv & MUST have subtitles on ? Poss perhaps is struggle almost , brain processing information? Got helpful advice on here, 6 months ago bought noise machine (waves) for night time, just a distraction, but helps. Would be interested to know, how you get on with hearing aids. David.

I was also sent on a course of CBT through the ENT team which also helped and might be worth a try. Sound equals pain equals anxiety equals avoidance, a vicious cycle. Which can in theory be broken by CBT.

@David3 i thought it was just me that had to come inside when people had lawn mowers going etc. our neighbour had a chain saw going 3 days in a row over Easter weekend and it nearly drove me demented. I hope things improve for you soon.

My hearing was actually improved a little by the stroke and I found out that the audiologist was also a Stroke Survivor which was hopeful. I am more senitive to noise now but have trained myself (I think, problem may yet come back) not to be woken by the dawn chorus any more

@FionaB1 oh yes the Dawn chorus is very loud these days :grin:. There was a firework display about 10 miles from us at the weekend……it was sooooo loud. I don’t think I’ll be attending any firework displays anytime soon :hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

Shwmae @LisaCorrigan, no medical professional talks about morbidity after stroke. It’s a huge gap in recovery. We all vie for recovery, but who knows what has been acquired after stroke. The brain does a wonderful job of balancing conditions within our marvellously, complex body, but when that brain can’t balance, what happens then? I have always had a precarious immune system, now that my brain is damaged, I have noticed I have had some odd skin conditions like pityriasis rosea not just once, but twice. Clearly, my immune system has taken a bump, and does that mean that it can’t recover? Who knows. Potential for other conditions may take advantage of the brain’s withdrawal from managing the whole process. There needs to be a more rigorous overview of potential post-stroke morbidity for stroke survivors.

Hi , noise not good, my way of plodding along is to focus in my head on something, then almost go forward towards this, if noises or conversation , distracts me , loose focus, head whirls & have to refocus. Used to be a builder, looking back poss not as considerant, with power tools. So now can’t complain. Good speaking David.

1 Like

@David3 I like the idea of focusing on something else. I’ll have to give it a try. My husband is a builder so loves his power tools too. He is a nightmare for having them all running at same time - even though he can only use one at a time :smirk:

1 Like