Going private?

May I ask what you need help with, Monika ?
or what are your main difficulties?

Good luck, Roland

1 Like

Aren’t we all?
(sorry, I couldn’t resist)

Roland

1 Like

Yes, mainly my hand it is almost completely useless and unrecovered
Does this give you an idea?

2 Likes

Monika, I hear you,

It’s a tough one to solve, for sure. @SimonInEdinburgh was planning a few meetings where stroke survivors put in their support and experience to help each other… would that be something that interests you?

ciao, Roland

2 Likes

Hi Monika,
I had excellent NHS physio when I left hospital but when it finished I felt I still needed further help. I eventually found an Organisation that employed physios who work for the NHS hospitals but also look for private work. I have now found a great physio who comes to my house usually once a week or once a fortnight. I live in Norfolk but don’t know if this help is available where you live. It’s quite expensive but well worth it - I hope!! Good luck

2 Likes

I’m in Kent, too, Susan! (West Kent). And thinking about a private Neuro therapist, mostly because I can’t seem to get the answers I need from the NHS. Are you able to share where you found your one, please?

1 Like

Hi @Monika

The hand is often the last thing to see recovery for multiple reasons which include learnt non-use as a contributory factor.

As Roland says I think we should can be & could be pooling are knowledge see Proposal. Whose in? Getting my (our) hand(s & and legs etc) useful again

I found Neuro Physiotherapy in Bedford | Physiotherapy practice | Location Bedford Just by googling so I guess you found them too?

I would also try the Anri institute who have a strong reputation and are spread over the country https://arni.uk.com/

I’d talk to any stroke groups in your area and ask them about reputation I’d see you with a different strokes and the stroke association or any of the other national stroke charities have a register

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

Hi Trace, sorry it was a long time ago and I can’t remember the name. I just googled Neuro physiotherapist in my area and struck gold.

Good luck with your search.

Regards Sue

3 Likes

Is this like a peer support group or the goal is different ?

Thanks

1 Like

This is different, a self help group,
there’s no goal other than to help each other

Ciao, Roland

1 Like

And Monika,

forgive me if it’s not my place to say,
but atrophy sets in after 2 years, so I’d really encourage you to get that arm moving,
don’t wait for a physio or a miracle, take matters into your own hands; time is of the essence.

Again, forgive me for speaking up,
ciao, Roland.

4 Likes

Have you come across Arni? (Action for recovery from neurological injury)? They have trainers that come to you for exercise. Not free but low cost.

1 Like

@pamelai1
Hi Pam
What’s your link to Anri ?
I assume there is one because often your posts just promote Tom’s book…

~
I was thinking of you earlier in the week because Lea and I were in Carlisle which I seem to recall is either way you are or fairly near :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

Hi Simon

I’m a great believer in ARNI. We have two near me, which is great, but with DVD and books I can remind myself of the exercises I need to do/find new ones.

And yes I’m in Carlisle. Hope you enjoyed your visit.

1 Like

Yeah we went to the cathedral ( been there before) a little lunch with a recital in the cathedral refractory before heading on down to haweswater

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m also two years post and still struggling with most aspects of physical movement. I can only do about 10 minutes with a walking aid. I developed foot drop about a year ago which makes things more difficult. I’m hoping in better I will get out more. Until then my exercise is around my flat. I found one physiotherapist by word of mouth and another by trying a few sessions with them. I now don’t have any but do rely heavily on Utube. Which I find has videos for every ill! Good luck

2 Likes

Did you not get support from the team at flitwick they supported me when i had a stroke in jan 23and were brilliant

1 Like

Hi Georgie
Did you have physio at home at any point ? You might be able to get yourself re-referred if you are struggling. I did here when my walking deteriorated.

The other option, if you have an MS centre near you, have a look if they take other brain injury people. They seem to offer all sorts of good things for a low cost. This is an example of one in Bristol

Thanks
Nigel

1 Like

Hi @Georgie2021
Do you have any favourite YouTube channels?

There’s a few good ones listed in Post stroke Org

Ciao
Simon

Hello Monika, this thread has been very informative for me because I also have FND (functional neurological disorder) and had no idea how close it is to stroke, in terms of treatment. I searched for a private neuro physio and have had two sessions at my home. I haven’t been seen by any NHS staff since the end of September. I was carefully assessed for strength and balance and given exercises to do and links to follow up for other activities I might do. I hope you find someone to help you.

1 Like