General unwellness

@Pisceslady2023 oh yes this is normal and I still have, after a year, days that I feel the same as you. I try to keep my mind off the big ME and seek other things to occupy my mind. At first I used to turn down visits from friends and going out to socialize, but good friends are a GodSend. I do more reading now and watching documentaries on TV,
try new exercise routines, paint, play piano (clumsily); in other words, look outward instead of inward. I find youtube a great place to occupy my mind on many different subjects and also this fabulous forum.
I think the “lack of interest” is a wee bit of depression and this can come and go.
Of course you also need to go "inward’ at times for self-reflection meditation or prayer, perhaps mindfulness.
All the best to you.

2 Likes

Hi Pisceslady2023, I agree with a lot of the other comments on here. Try to find yourself a hobby and focus on that, it really does help. I had my stroke nearly 5 years ago, I now paint by numbers (not very well) and read. Although I tire very easily it gives me purpose, fills my time and generally gives me a sense of normality.
I wish you well in your recovery.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your input.
I have to say this forum is amazing as are it’s people.
Just knowing you’re all out there is amazing. Huge thanks

3 Likes

Have you seen the amazingly good painting by numbers pictures that @Loshy she does ? She posted some photos recently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I haven’t. Where might I find them?

1 Like

I can’t actually find them! :frowning: Despite 10 minutes of searching for “painting” and “by numbers” and “paint” and all sorts!!

maybe the Lorraine @loshy can tell us.?

2 Likes

That’s the post I was looking for :slight_smile:

Strange thing is that search didn’t find it and I searched for “painting”

Search doesn’t just look at headings by default
C’est la vie :slight_smile:

Do I remember one of a dog and even more left field an elephant or a donkey or camel or giraffe or something?

1 Like

Wow, they are great wish mine were as good.
My accuracy isnt great and my eyes get very tired but I find doing them theraputic and rewarding. Well done you!

2 Likes

You’ve grabbed my interest actually, I think I’m going to give it try, rather fancy doing something with wolves. I’ll have to check out on amazon later :smile:

Hi Pisceslady2023. I had my stroke March 2023,blood clot on righthand side of Brain which caused Paralysis to the left side of my body. After spending 4 months in hospital I was discharged home two weeks ago with care reablement team, and sorting out a care plan for me. They got me a Hospital Profiling bed ,commode chair with wheels and a elbow 4 leg walking frame and a wheelchair. Everybody at the hospital from Doctors, Nurses, Healthcare assistants ,OT and Physio, Psychologist teams were just so wonderful. It was a very emotional day on leaving. Lots of Staff came to the ward lots of tears. I’m still an emotional wreck. Sorry for going on. Yes I also have a lot of pain still on my left side ,leg feels like a ton weight also foot very swollen ,arm floppy and heavy. Right foot and leg also starting to swell and heavy. also feel like they’re on fire. I get very tired and feel drained even after having a shower and doing simple things etc. Getting a bit worried, now got the same feelings on both feet as I had when I had my stroke which I didn’t know I was having one. It was 26hrs later when Ambulance blue lighted me to Hospital, straight into CT Scan, then onto Acute Stroke ward. I’m on 30 tablets a day and slow release Morphine tablets and liquid Morphine 6 times a day. Sadly also have stage 3 Heart failure, Tricuspid valve severe damage ,Enlarged Heart and constant AF. And Diabetic type 2. I feel I’m on a slide of doom. Hope you have a nice day.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear what you are going through. I know how difficult it can be.
All the physical stuff is hard enough but the emotional side of things is even more difficult.
I do hope you get on top of things soon

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jeff3. You’ve been through a lot and it sounds like you were a well loved and admired patient, they never want to let the good ones go :smile: And your emotions will be high…and low…all over the place to be honest.

It’s a combination of the shock of it all and some of the drugs you are on, particularly the morphin! It initially makes you feel almost euphoric but it can also lead on to mild anxiety and depression…impatient/bad tempered even. So be mindful of that, but these emotions should only be temporary while you are on the Morphin and you’ll recognised them if that is not your normal temperament. It’ll be a long road to recovery but you will get there with hard work and positive attitude.

As you were only discharged 2 weeks ago, can I suggest you phone the stroke ward now or if you’ve been assigned a stroke team and have their number, give them a ring and explain your concerns about the burning in both feet. You won’t be a bother to them, they are the best to advice, it’s what they are there for. Give them a ring now, no time like the present, the sooner that’s done the sooner you will peace of mind and can get on with your recovery. :Good Luck smile: :people_hugging:

1 Like

Hello @Jeff3 welcome :hugs:

You have been ”in the wars” as they say!!! So sorry you’ve had cause to join us.

The community here has been putting together the things we found helpful in our early days in a post >>>here<<< Just click or touch on the blue text to follow the link.

There are lots of posts on the forum that touch on the things you have mentioned pain relief anxiety amongst others. It’s jolly good to hear you’ve had excellent care so far, long may it continue :slight_smile:

You’re very early days yet, so the patterns that will emerge for you haven’t really started to be identifiable. You’ll find a lot of support here that can help.

Ciao Simon

2 Likes

@Jeff3 just wanted to say hi & welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you’re going through a lot. If you’re worried about your feet you should seek some advice.

The feeling tired & drained after doing things like showering is common after a stroke. Over time you will learn to pace yourself & find your limits.

Sending my best wishes.

Ann x

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I hope your doing ok. Jeff3

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I hope everything is getting better for yourself.
Jeff3

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Jeff3

1 Like

Apathy is a huge problem for many after a stroke. My mother’s got worse and worse as time went on. We don’t know why. She didn’t care about anything in the last year of her life, other than eating, taking car rides and quickly saying hello and I love you to her loved ones. It’s just pains me every day to remember how her apathy took over and there was no turning back. We did everything to encourage her - I mean everything. No medicines worked, either.

I wonder why some people get such severe apathy. Is it related to past mental history? Part of brain affected by stroke? I’m sure it’s a complicated answer, like everything in life. Nothing is black and white.