Gardening post-stroke

Shwmae @Pds, to be honest, I’m more of an autumn chap myself, but I do embrace the changing season and wear an interchangeable gemstone around my neck to reflect each season. The goose is being a bit of a silly goose at the moment. She’s laid eggs in one spot outside her coop, which she was sitting on but because she’s put away at night, can’t. So, I moved them into the coop, and either she or the gander kicked them out of the bedding. Then she went and laid two more outside the coop again. So, I give up. The gander is still defending her despite the fact she isn’t sitting. This is just spring frolics of the gaggle family. We’re getting three hatched goslings in a few weeks, so she’ll have to adopt. They have to share the coop with one solitary duck at the moment, so I wonder if this might be making a difference to her sitting routine. I don’t know what it is about geese and pigs, but I do so enjoy their company, never a dull moment.

Thats a heck of a lot of garden for anyone. I only have a small plot the main problem being that the back is at the moment a dark quagmire of mud as when I had my stroke we were in the middle of building work and the last bits of tidying up aren’t finished yet. I hope to get it drained and turm it over mainly to lawn that I can nap on but with one or two bog plants at the side. Half an hours weedimg at a time is enough so I’m renaming them as “native plants” and am going to encourage them

1 Like

Aye @Pontwander and @FionaB1, it’s a fair whack of garden, but recently we’ve had a few parcels listed under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act, and the woodland is also on the greenbelt, so I think of myself as responsible for keeping it that way. I’m quite proactive about this as our council has a habit of slipping through field development and greenbelt new builds through backhanded applications while many existing properties remain for sale over years and years. Anyway, that’s another topic.

To be honest, having the stroke has given me the hwyl to approach everything with a bit more absorption rather than in the past when I would approach matters as projects. I’ve always enjoyed the surrounding but these days I feel a lot more part of it, beatific. I used to take the Kubota or tractor (1979 Ferguson) to a task, and now I settle with a wheelbarrow if appropriate.

I’m getting better with visual noise outdoors the more I do my exercises, and so what last year was a curse, is now lifting and I can start to enjoy pottering around in the woods. I don’t try and keep on top of things anymore, I just gravitate gently, from one task to another. It was always intended to be my early retirement, as in my younger days I had gardens of all sorts and sizes in different parts of the world. When I didn’t have a garden, I made terrariums. I got this attitude from my father who can turn any space into a thriving fruit and vegetable jungle, and at 84 continues to do so.

I will certainly post some more pictures as spring progresses. Hope you both are enjoying some balmy weather. Cofion cynne.

3 Likes

They are beautiful but not very purple :grin::grin:

1 Like

Al, I had trouble with light, so much so I wore skiing sunglasses early on, but am better with it now. It leads to long periods of refraction in my refractors when my eyes close or move away from the bright object or direct light. Visual noise for me is a combination of many perspectives all ranging differently across space, affected by light, depth of field, and movement. It causes my brain to befuddle its communication with my oculomotor reflex and, thus, sends me into a state of giddiness. I noticed light change affecting me very early on, especially as the sun went down, or if I went from a dark space to a light space. I think seizures are triggered by rapid light refraction, but I am not sure.

1 Like

I’m not very savvy with epilepsy but I do know it can be acquired after stroke. My issue lies with visual-spatial cognition, I assume this is affected by light change but not the light itself. I have heard of other stroke survivors having issues with bright lights. I am certain mine has to do with refraction as I did quite a few experiments on myself to do with this. I used to walk around, saluting over my eyes, like looking out to sea. This was to block out the glare. I vaguely recall people who suffer from epilepsy having shaded prescription glasses. I am glad you are being weaned off the meds, I look forward to the day my GP gives me the green-light to stop statins, although I am on a very low dosage. At one point, my bedside table looked like a pharmacy.

I’m planning on doing some weeding around the Jacob’s ladder and wormwood today, and I want to move a frame I built for banana passionfruit which was healthy and climbing until a frost ended its upward march. I have also been given the task of eradicating some bamboo that has gone bonkers on one side of the border. I can’t feed it to the pigs because it’s not an edible variety, so may use it as brash below the laurel. I have more dandelion wine to make, this time I am adding baked dandelion root to the brew. I had to start the second fermentation of my last batch early because my six year old niece wouldn’t leave the batch alone, and I feared contamination. I could have just moved it but my stroke brain doesn’t have the executive function to make such practical decisions. :joy:

Cofion cynnes.

2 Likes

@Pontwander that’s a lot of plants wow. It’ll be a great display.
Glad you’ve managed to sort the med/seizure situation too.
Best wishes :relaxed:

Good evening @Pontwander. Loving the photos, green with jealousy. My wee green house ( self built 10years ago) is bursting at the seams. Cannot rule out a frost still this close to North Sea coast in Northumberland but am hopeful and hedging some bets. Gardening so gives me purpose everyday. I write a to do list at breakfast, as easily distracted and often don’t complete tasks, can always add it to tomorrow’s list so eliminate worry that something will be overlooked. Good for you, making evidence based judgements with your medication. I hope things are working out. Julia

2 Likes

A great pity I never had enough money to buy a helicopter … I did however gain my Helicopter licence & was able to advance over the years to become a twin turbine pilot along with gaining my night navigation a true passion . . & hardly destroys the ozone layer per-say . All for saving on different energy sources but … really electric car, ect which cost far far more and saves what exactly all this “we’re doomed because of the ozone layer “ & what society world over is doing to it . Has been going on for Millenia yet we’re all still here & I’m sure generations to come will be also it saddens me this scaremongering be it media or what other platforms out there spouting alternative energy … because who Greta Thunberg & crew have adopted the destruction of earth happening right now … come on folks we’re talking generations and I mean 1000,s of years after we are all gone b4 this so called the end of the earth happens . So I will continue my flights sadly now as a passenger though I do get to sit in front passengers seat of whirly bird & not let my flights invade my thoughts of the ozone layer or waiting for alternative energy to be built into a helicopter which will maintain the already destroyed ozone layer which I’m sure started millions of years ago when our blue marble was volcanic . What was all that activity doing to the ozone layer … I wonder …

rant over
:helicopter::helicopter::helicopter:

That lovely hyacinth bucket … I mean bouquet. Quite a range you have there @Pontwander. I find that top tunnels double-up as saunas over the summer, one could even sit in there wearing a towel and whip one’s back with a viht.

1 Like

@Loshy Your garden looks lovely. Our clematis is like that too. Must be a clematis thing :grin:

1 Like

Oppps … silly me . :smirk::smirk:

@Pontwander, I enjoyed this. My cousin Angela from Brecon is part of a litter-army. I always do a litter pick when out in the woods, I am constantly surprised how Vimto, Monster energy drinks, and Strongbow find their way into the underbrush.

I love these shrubs we have in our garden. They are beautiful when in full flower…but my stroke brain means I have forgotten what they’re called. :see_no_evil: can anyone help?

1 Like

Not sure, but I like them. Is that Jack-by-the-hedge growing behind the first photo? Lovely plant, always snack on it in spring while gardening.

Hey…they are cytisus from the genisteae family, commonly called broom. Hope that helps? T x

1 Like

good morning. It’s a lovely morning here and the blossom on the tree in our back garden (no idea what it is) is looking good against the dark green of the holly next to it. My first seeds have come up too. No idea if I have the manual dexterity to prick them out when they get a bit bigger but at least they have sprouted which is the first step.

1 Like

3 Likes

@Tracy_Johnson welcome to the community…Mystery solved…thank you so much :grin::grin::grin: I knew them as Broom. The red one always flowers after the yellow one. No idea why but equally as pretty when it does.
@Rups I Sorry I don’t know if it is jack growing by the hedge. I’ve never been tempted to eat any :thinking: sadly I’m not much of a gardener…hubby does most of that.

1 Like

@Mahoney I love the colour of that tree. Might have to convince hubby we need one :grin::grin:

1 Like