Gardening post-stroke

Managed a bit of activity outside of garden, joined community effort to tidy up The Dell. In Northampton where I grew up it would be called a gitty in Nottingham a twitten but in yer south of England it has to be a dell. So with other toffs got stuck in to clear footpath of leaves and debris and pruning back wayward shrubs. Managed 1 hour and bit with break in middle. When we finished sat on bench and chatted with bloke even more boring than me,lost track of time and wife came and rescued me.Boy was I wacked but at end of day gave myself pat on back,” Well done Old Boy”.

3 Likes

Finally, planted a persimmon in the orchard. I am a very happy chappy.

2 Likes

Shwmae @Loshy, aye, I planted this after mowing for two hours and, before that, cleaning for several hours. It seems my symptoms have taken a 15% upswing. Throughout the months, as I do physiotherapy, I tend to make only 1-2% improvements. It’s only taken two years, but I feel motivated to take the next step now.

2 Likes

@Rups it is great to see you making such progress. I’m as pleased as everyone else for you, always keep us posted.

1 Like

@Pds well done on doing your bit for the community. I used to do litter picks pre-stroke and always felt good to do my bit for the local community. Once my mobility has improved I hope to get back to it again.
I bet you were shattered afterwards especially given how warm it is today. Hope you’re enjoying a well earned rest.

@Rups wow you have been extremely busy. Well done on planting your persimmon. Good to hear that you are feeling more motivated to move to next stage of your recovery. I am sure you can do anything you set your mind to.

1 Like

Brillliant work both of you - and lovely flowers too. I have some experience of twee names for things here - we are having a patio built at the back of the house. My mother wants me to call it a “terrace” as it sounds grander but it’s a square bit of paving outside a 1960s bungalow so patio will do as far as I am concerned

Loshy lovely photo of Penstemon ‘Rubicunda’ raised in 1906 at Lyme Park in Cheshire there are some lovely variety’s of penstemon that flower to late September, white, cream, lilac and purple, I had one called ‘Sour Grapes’ which was an unusual colour

1 Like

Boy not fun in this neck of woods, patio too hot to stand on,picked tomato for lunch and it was a warm eat ! But on plus’s side got a good crop of butternut squash’s, just like 76 bucketing out internal waste water . For you oldies, do you remember toilet rules ? If it’s yellow let it mellow or if it’s a pee let it be, but if it’s brown Flush it down !

Oldies? I still utter that rule now, but just “If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down”.

Good morning gardeners :wave:.

I decided I would do more flowers this year as I was going to be around to enjoy them, so sacrificed some of my veg space and grew from seed or bargain tubers/bulbs to keep the cost down. I’ve never grown asters before but they are this year’s runaway success for cut flowers. I have no flower arranging experience I use the bung 'em in a vase/jug and hope for the best technique. Shouldn’t overthink these things. Hope this brightens your mornings, Julia x

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: Made me laugh this morning.

1 Like

At our village flower show we had classes for flower arrangements and another section for individual types of flowers in vases well spaced so you could appreciate the beauty of the individual flowers, fair enough. But the amusing class was for as many different types of flowers in a vase, and it stated clearly in schedule’ this is not for flower arrangers’ so you had flowers rammed in vases by hamfisted types like me and school kids and the flower arrangers who just couldn’t resist and entered an arrangement more suitable for displaying in Buckingham Palace

1 Like

@JuliaH your flowers are beautiful. I too arrange flowers like you :grin::grin: my hubby usually comes along & sorts them out. I have to say though yours look lovely. Very colourful & have made me smile xxx

1 Like

I stay clear of flowers in vases, my study has two vases with wormwood and mugwort in them.

That says a lot Rups, if I could motivate myself to put two sprigs in vases my choice would be yew and roemary

1 Like

Rosemary fore goodness sake spellcheck!

I have a terrarium with a yew inside.

2 Likes

I make terrariums out of anything. I’ve even made one out of an old Imperial typewriter. I’m competent at creating terrariums but have managed to kill about four bonsai.

1 Like

Read somewhere that a start-up Bonsia kit is a good present for a SS ? Not for me but if you have only a small patch of land or even a window box could be a good distraction but making sure they don’t dry out tests you.

1 Like