Friends who are pushy and don’t understand

Yes it’s so true friends and family don’t really understand how can they they need to be inside our heads and body to know what we are experiencing each day and to that no day is same we have some good days but plenty bad days I had my stroke nearly sixteen months ago and everyday I have I think things might be improving only for something to come along and bit my bum and make me think again I still have so many things going on with my body numbness to my effected side with pain occasionally headaches which effects my vision at times tingling to different areas of my effected side but no one who would be looking at me would know that this was all happening to me I really try not to get stress with myself as I know it’s not good for me and my body so what everyone sees on surface is not the whole picture you know to me it’s like we used to be a competed jigsaw but when we had our strokes our jigsaw was broken apart and we are all trying hard to put the pieces of jigsaw back together for first time with poor eyesight and effected limbs but each day we try so hard to put a piece back take care stay safe all best wishes Kaz61

4 Likes

Thanks so much. It’s 2 steps forward 3 back sometimes. I’ve been having a lot of pain in my bad foot last few days and been advised not to exercise even though we know we should. Oh well as you say onwards and upward at least sun is shining in my part of the world this morning.

1 Like

Did you know…
And that is what we are, Bodybuilders! We are rebuilding our minds as well as our body’s and we need a couple days off from our rehabs to recover. I do weight training 3 days a week, one keep fit class and a couple hours hiking for the other 2 days which leaves me 2 days free. And this week is my first whole week off since Christmas :sweat_smile: I certainly notice the difference, the benefits when I return, I can lift heavier and go longer for it.

1 Like

Brain builders, cognitive constructionists, mind mappers, and encephalic engineers :grinning:

1 Like

Jigsaws are an interesting analogy. I do jigsaws (fairly easy) on my tablet because they seem to put my brain back together a bit.

1 Like

:laughing: That’s what we are, aren’t we, Brain builders. Do we need some cones set around us while we are under cognitive construction :rofl:

2 Likes

Aye, perhaps we should, as long as drunk equine students don’t pilfer them on their way home from the pub :woozy_face:

2 Likes

@EmeraldEyes @Rups you have both just made me laugh with your exchange. Thank you :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

:+1::joy::joy::joy: Well, well, well …

1 Like

Bit late to this discussion but hey ho

When I get that “oh you look fine” I generally say something similar to “thanks what but what you can’t see is the fact that part of my brain got killed off and the rest of it hasn’t learnt how to take over all the functions yet so there’s a complex struggle while things like my hand don’t work and my balance is a bit off but thanks, superficially I am fine and well”

Hello EmeraldEyes this really struck a cord with me as I did body building for 30 years on a push pull system not strictly true as all muscle pulls but I would train legs back boxers one day day off shoulders chest triceps next session I retired at 60 and had a stroke at 61 not completely at random as I had reumatic fever as a child that left me with a heart murmur this got so bad I was booked in for a double valve replacement and told to stop taking my blood thinners 5 days before the operation so I did and three days after stopping them I had a stroke I since learned from every nurse I spoke to in hospital that it is a well know fact this can happen, well no one told me and to say I’m a little bitter is an understatement I was told I could take my complaint further but what’s the point it’s done. I’m sorry I’m rambling away from the subject, but after 5 years in August I still can’t walk properly so I do love to hear of other peoples little victories keep them coming, I don’t usually post I just read, but Emerald Eyes comment just hit a nerve, thanks for reading all the best. Peter.

4 Likes

That should say legs back biceps lol

1 Like

Hi Peter, thank you for your reply, I’m honoured :smile: Unlike you, I was never a body builder…until my stroke over 2yrs ago and now I’m addicted :laughing:
The reason for taking it up was muscle loss and what little fat I had swiftly deserted me that first year post stroke. Couldn’t even push a hoover around I was that weak :roll_eyes: So I needed my muscle back! My son had taken it up at the gym so thought I’d join and it took from there, one year on and I’m still going.

So as I see it, the brain is a muscle too, therefore stands to reason (in my mind) it should be trained to a similar discipline as body building I would have thought. With that in mind therefore, stands to reason it needs rest and recovery time after it’s had a good workout session to expand and grow.

That’s par for the course with stroke, I’m always skipping words, misspelling and with my right hand’s overly clicky tendencies on the keyboard, I’m forever editing :roll_eyes:

I too am on blood thinners since the stroke, I can bleed like a stuck pig from a pin prick Unfortunately you’re between the devil and the deep blue sea when it comes down to operations. When it comes down to stopping them for a much needed heart op on the heart it’s a no brainer, regardless of whether they told you beforehand. I don’t think there is any alternative to stopping blood thinners, you would have bled profusely, even died, on the operating table if the tablets weren’t stopped for the op. For some people forewarned is forearmed, personally I’m happy not knowing what every risk could entails, it’s a game of russian roulette that’s as much as I need to know.

1 Like

Hello again thank you for your reply I am still going ahead with my operation as I’ve now been told I can go on Heperin while on the operating table I think it’s quite expensive so they hesitate to use it, great to hear you are enjoying the gym I’m very jealous, just don’t let your son push you too hard,all the best Peter.

2 Likes