Erratic recovery

Hi just joined group. Had stroke early April. Lost balance and some peripheral vision left eye.
Some days I feel worse ie. shaky fullness in ears lightheaded etc.
Anyone have same symptoms?
Thank you.

2 Likes

Bore da @Seeney, croeso, I hope that our forum can guide you through some of these sensations as you move forward in your rebuilding journey. If you type “shaky”, “lightheaded” or any of your symptoms into the forum search bar, you may come across posts or responses from people here who have written about that very thing. I had many sensations during the early months post stroke that were similar to yours and some days were better than others. However, each stroke survivor’s journey will be slightly different because our brains are all wired differently, a problem with one operating system won’t necessary be an issue of the same ilk with another. During the first six months or so, your brain will be frantically trying to attend to the damage, so expect the unexpected.

2 Likes

Hi seenet so sorry to hear about your stroke. I had mine just before last Xmas and have felt differently quite often. I was getting better and walking wx just a stick in case I needed it but have gone back to using a rollator when I go walking because I suffered a nasty fall about 6 weeks ago and often I feel unsteady on my legs. My son says I’m doing the shoe shine shuffle and that I’m overthinking and that may well b the case. Someone on this forum suggested I go to strength and balance classes which I started 2 weeks ago. I would definitely recommend them especially for practising balance which is an area where I know I need help. Perhaps they would be good for you as well. Email your local age uk and they will give you details of classes and times near you. You can do it all within your capabilities but try each time to do a little more. Hope this helps just keep fighting on even though it’s hard. Best wishes Suzywong

2 Likes

Hello @Seeney
Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

We’ve been putting together the sort of things that people often ask about their journey post stroke tap the blue text

What you’re asking about is pretty typical. We don’t all have the same things individually but as a group we have a lot of similar manifestations

Best wishes for your life journey post stroke
Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

Hi @Seeney, as you must now be able to gather, your symptoms are familiar to all of us. So familiar it’s surprising the doctors never warn us of these effects…hey-ho.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, you find an awful lot of useful info here from a very helpful bunch of people, so don’t be afraid to ask anything, not matter how stupid or silly you may think it is.

And I second the advice on Strength & Balance classes, it really does help, it you can find a class local to you.

3 Likes

I do too stroke 3years ago lost vision,hearing,nerve damage,muscle weakness and balance is pants.my eyes improved but peripheral vision still not goid,got hearing aids my balance is terrible so i’ve spent more time at hospital A&E than ever,broken bones,torn ligaments,lacerations,stitches,physio,morphine even blue lights on ambulance from falling on my granddaughters scooter handlebars,very nice paramedic tho…oops i don’t do it on purpose just for the paramedics honest!!! :wink: maybe your medication needs some time to settle in,ask your GP if it doesn’t i swapped some of mine about and it helped a bit.
I’m learning i have to go slowr take more care and act like a 55year old not 15…but you will improve,you will have bad days but also good ones and if you can eventually learn to laugh at everything life chucks your way then your positive attitude will help. Cry when you need too,have a rant abd moan.i’ve even invented some terrible swear words for those times of frustration and remember…
You’re a Womble…
No thats not it…remember tomorrow is another day,and you can start again. I hope you keep going forwards and all good luck to you.xx

8 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have good days where I walk straight as an arrow. Other days a little wobbly. That’s why I always take a stick with me so people don’t think I’m drunk when out. LOL

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I count myself lucky compared with other unfortunate stroke victims.
I walked and got my face back fairly quick, although nobody told me my face was affected until after a couple of weeks I saw myself in a mirror. LOL. It’s a difficult time for all victims.
We must continue to fight this. As they say it’s a long road.
Take care.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I don’t think it helped last week when I moved my kitchen units around and knocked out a fitted larder cupboard. Just felt I had to do something.

3 Likes

I got told last month by a total random stranger on the street…oi your walking like your drunk!!
I said i wish i were at 9.30 in the morning but i can’t find a pub open yet,… cheeky bugger!when i explained you should’ve seen his face…priceless :wink: x

3 Likes

There’s a good video from different strokes YouTube channel on falls prevention given by the two esters if I remember rightly

If you use the magnifying glass at the top of the page to search for fall prevention you’ll find the post

3 Likes

Good for you. Incidentally when I was out yesterday someone said to me your a bit miserable today’
They have no idea.

3 Likes

@Seeney just wanted to say hi & welcome to the gang. I think everyone else has covered what i would have said.

I’m impressed you managed to move your kitchen around so soon after your stroke. Watch out for the dreaded fatigue catching up with you.

I too have had the oh look she’s drunk this early in the day looks. I just smiled sweetly at them and carried on.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

Dear Bernadette that’s so funny! I needed a good laugh today.my son says I do the shoe shine shuffle! I bet they were mortified when you told them :joy_cat:. Best wishes suzywong

3 Likes

I tend to walk like that in confined spaces but stride normally outside.

1 Like

My walk is fairly normal…until I get home and take my shoes off, then it’s more of a pivot around the house as the right foot drops :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Glad i could give you a smile .like i say to my work colleauges every shift i do,as they ask me what injury i’ve done this time?“i’m the gift that keeps on giving”
Well i’ve finally decided that i am what/who i am now so i better make the best of a bad job,still got a warped sense of humour though luckily(for me anyway)family don’t always agree​:wink::scream::heart:

1 Like