Driving my car!

Hi Sam, 

You don't have to report your stroke to the DVLA if your side effects don't last for more than 4weeks and you didn't have a fit or similar. 

You can look it up online at the DVLA website. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind regards 

Kay 

My consultant and GP were rather unwilling to put down  in writing that I was able to resume driving after 6 months (I assume because of fear or being held responsible) so I took a Driving Mobility driving assessment. Legally unnecessary but it did wonders for my self confidence. That was over 3 years ago and (touch wood)  I haven't had any problems although because of post stroke fatigue I only commit myself to a journey of no further than 15 miles in case I get a bit "flakey"  on the return journey.

Hi, I resumed driving after 6 months, I rang my insurance company for information purposes, it didn't affect my premium at all. Although be aware of fatigue issues, it can creep up on you particularly when out on the road

That’s lovely for you and so reassuring. John passed his special driving test but DVLA revoked it. They put so many obstacles in the way that he decided not to take it any further. Now he has a most wonderful chauffeuse at his beck and call lol! (Of course, he still ‘drives’ ,,, or is he now instructor, I wonder? Clear left, go now,,,, watch after 3rd car,,,). Sometimes he’s ‘invited ‘ to walk home,,, ??

I had a stroke 7 weeks ago. I am still receiving physio for my right arm, it's weak and my hand does not operate correctly.  I have an automatic car so it's only not being able to reach the whipper and light controls that preventing me from driving. I am told by the occupational therapist that I need to have a driving assessment and my car to be adapted before i can drive again. Has anyone else been given this advice?

Hi Keith, 

I was told I would need to complete the Mobility course. Like you I have a right hand and for me my foot is weaker.  I completed the online driving after a stroke form on the government website.  As our stroke side effects have persisted for over 6 weeks we have to do this.  The website e-mailed me that I was allowed to continue driving until the DVLA informed me otherwise.  Provided a health care professional like my GP agreed I had the physical and mental ability to drive which after seeing her she did. I then had to wait several weeks for the DVLA to get a report from my GP and then write back to me. Then sent me a form asking about my ability to  drive my car which I was able to do. But am now 8 - 9 months post my stroke.  Attending a gym 3 times per week (when I haven't got a cold) building the dexterity in my hand as well as the strength and movement in my foot.  I didn't have to do the Mobility course but once my cold is gone I plan to do some refresher driving lessons with a driving instructor. Hope this helps. 

I have not got back to driving yet, though have the go- ahead. I have lost a lot of confidence and feel nervous, my husband makes lots of comments about how I drive and I feel he has doubts that I am not capable, but I need to get back in the swing again so I can be more independent. Has anyone gone through the same experience?

Hi Kay,

thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I am not sure of the next step, either way I guess it will be in the new year now. I will let you know.

Have a chat to your physio or OT to assess the movement and strength needed to drive a car. Breaking down the tasks; for me I had to wait until I had the ability to get in and out of the car.  Then the GP assessed my cognitive function.  Could I work out what I needed to do to drive my car and could I maintain the level of concentration required for a reasonable amount of time. Good luck!

It's nice to hear that you got the go ahead. I still waited a few weeks after mine and then started off with small journeys. Your confidence will build up gradually. Leave your husband at home. It's encouragement that you need not negativity. Perhaps take a friend at first. Good luck, you will get there. 

We are inclined to lose our confidence generally. 

Can I suggest that you drive without your husbands presence. Spouse telling spouse how bad they drive is common, without stroke being involved.

I would urge you to get a driving instructor to take you out. They will check your competance and then your confidence should return. And then husband must accept your are capable.

Tell the instructor exactly what your difficulty is. 

When you are ready and able then the little journeys will increase your independence a lot.

Good luck

Colin

Hi my name is Paul I didn’t drive for two years and then I contacted the dvla and they referred me to a driving assessment centre , it was a very nervous time but they were great explained all the adaptations and where to go to get them. I now drive and have done for nearly two years ,it was so nice to gain my independence back.

Hi as the DVLA are notified that you have had a stroke, when I was given the go ahead I notified them as a matter of course just for my peace of mind.  As far as the insurance company I used to work for a car ins comp many years ago, so I notified them in writing via email so that they could not say I hadnt told them and I requested confirmation of receipt which I got.  Actually, it was a very nice reply.  My premiums have not increased.  It took me quite a while to get back into the car because of the confidence issue, I started very slowly just going into the village and back, and I have now increased to going into town.  I too wouldnt go to far incase of fatigue.  Good luck you can do it! 

Thank you, good idea. It is one thing getting my own confidence back without dealing with my husbands feelings!

P S I passed my test 1st time and was taught by my husband too!!

True! So much post stroke is getting self belief back!

thank you

Rings a bell, though I do the same to him!

My husband cannot drive for one year following a bleed on the brain, very hard for him as he has driven for an occupation all of his life.  His confidence is very low and he is now suffering from depression we are half way through the year ban any tips and help would be greatly received.

Thanks

My left hand and foot are completely paralysed. I did a driving assessment and took a couple of lessons.You shouldn't need light controls - you only usually adjust the lights when stationary. My first car I was told I needed an adaptation to use the handbrake with my righthand - £500 down the drain. I only use the handbrake when stationary and it is safe to lean over.I have a simple switch to bring the indicators over to the right - cost about £100.

Good luck with getting back to driving.

I got lucky - after minimum 4 weeks GP said I was good to go driving again. My left side was affected, but as I have an automatic anyway it made things easier. Tentative so far, lost a lot of confidence. Small steps, and never solo, again lucky that I have a wife who can drive and take over if I get tired. I am just driving to s local supermarket and back until I feel happy with it. Main physical issue for me is getting up/down our steep drive - driving is the "easy" bit. Two years ago I drove 4000 miles around Europe for our silver wedding anniversary - might be a while before I try that again! Fresh bread from Tesco is enough for now!

Yes the biggest thing in all this is loss of confidence best medicine is to have people that can believe in you so you can believe in yourself agsin to !!!  I started driving firstly in my immediate area then branched our more and more as my confidence grew.  Still some unsteady times but best medicine is to try !!!