Disappointed and Frustrated

Sounds to me like “rest time”. I know in rehab it always felt so hard and I would have to push myself and really “work at it”. But the exerecises they had me do were limited in reps. It might be 3 sets of 10 leg lifts, etc. So, walking is a lot more than that. I would “push” just a little, since if you always quit when it’s hard, you’d never progress, since it’s always “hard”. BUT If you foot feels numb and cold that sounds like you’ve gone past just being tired. In fact, you might even trip or stumble if it’s that tired and numb. I don’t think you can “push through” that. When I started to walk again, I would count my steps and each week I would add another 25 or 50 steps every week or so. I built up from 300 steps to 2 miles, but it took a very long time–maybe a year or two. Then I realized that 2 miles was too exhausting for me, so I have backed off to one mile. Don’t let the length of time discourage you. Just keep moving, or exercising at your body’s pace without over exhausting yourself, and you’ll get there. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:

1 Like

I have today finally contacted PALS.
Writing my experience down made me cross, but it was also very liberating.
I have joined an online talking Therapy, which proved to be helpful bringing to the front my feelings about what has happened to change my life, but, also listening to others and how they are feeling the same. This forum and talking therapy is a good way to share and read, It helps you to realise you are not alone, but it still hurts that it has happened at all. Early days, I hope this process will make me see myself as a useful, successful , happy person and not the waste of space the fatigue makes me feel.
Take care all of you lovely people. D

3 Likes

Ke-N2pe32 I can allmost guarantee that you will again see yourself as a useful, successful, happy person --in spite of the fact that you may feel fatigued. You will learn to deal with those times and how to pace yourself as your gradually grow in strength. and ability. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart: :heart:Jeanne

Thank you for your kind and positive words. D

[Good morning all, Ihad a stroke in Feb this year, I-have left side weakness with my arm causing me most distress. Ifeel getting use of my arm will be the key to getting back to a better me. I can walk with an AFOon my left leg and use a walking stick. Im going on holiday in 2weeks and wonder if anyone has tips to make my travel pleasurable… ive got it in my head that everything will be as hard as it is here but want to feel Ive had a break, both me and my husband need a rest , so Iguess I just answered my own questions- go and have a rest.

@triciabaynes good morning, i have left sided weakness too. My leg causing me the biggest issue. I am due to get an AFO in next few weeks. Really hoping this improves my walking lots.
I have just come back from a holiday and I would say go for it & try not to stress. It isn’t as easy as pre stroke days but doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it.
Not sure if you’re going abroad but if you are book airport assistance. It works well and helps manage fatigue. I trued to plan rest days into my holiday and pacee myself so that I didn’t get top fatigued. I still got fatigue but it didn’t spoil anything.
If we did a trip out then planned the next day as a quiet day. I went to bed a bit earlier than I would normally on holiday. If I did some walking I made sure there was somewhere to stop and rest (usually a cafe or bar).
One of the things I never thought about was ensuring the hotel had walk in showers. For me I can’t get in a bath so this is really important. An email to hotel should sort this for you if its necessary.
Above all Just go and relax and have a great time. You can catch up on any rest when you get home. It’s not as bad as you think it will be and people are always prepared to help you out.
Best wishes
Ann x