Chest tightness

Hi I am new to this forum and had a stroke in march and just wondered if any one else was having same symptoms as myself which are extreme tightness to chest abdomen and rear shoulder blade have been doing all the exercises given by phisio ladies who were great thanks

1 Like

@robboo76 just stopping by to say hi & welcome to the forum.

I can’t help with your specific symptom but hopefully someone else can.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to our forum. Sorry, haven’t had this problem personally but I’m sure someone here will be able to help.
Regards Sue

1 Like

I think we all ascribe any new symptom to stroke. This is not necessarily so. You should see your gp to get checked out.
Janet

3 Likes

I have all of those symptoms but am pretty certain mine are not caused by stroke. I had cardiothoracic surgery for and Aortic Abdominal Aneurysm, as well as having entire aorta and valve replaced. I am not implying at all that this is your issue, but that I have enough doubt that it is stroke related, that I would definitely see my physician to discuss these symptoms.

1 Like

Thanks very much will be seeing GP tomorrow and see what he recommends will keep u posted thank you for your reply much appreciated :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @robboo76 and welcome to the forum.

Phone your gp at 8am to be sure to get an emergency appointment for that day, and mention all symptoms when making it. Personally though, I’d be taking a trip to the nearest A&E to be on the safe side, because that sounds like it could be heart related. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Thanks have an appointment at 8.40 will keep all posted :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Guess was on same side as effected by the stroke
If so possibly the muscles on that side
As I have the same effects

2 Likes

Thanks yes in same side been 3 months now and no sign of easing and still doing exercises let’s hope it will ease soon :+1:

2 Likes

Hope your drs appointment went ok & they’re able to offer some help.

2 Likes

Yes the best doctor could offer is a referral to a urologists so just a waiting game now but thanks for asking :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

That seems a bit odd to me, however, it is something. I do see a Urologist, where they re- potty trained me, which led to a Gastroenterologist for Colonoscopy, which found diverticulosis and polyps that were removed, along with a daily dose of Miralax. That did allay some of the abdominal pain, but not most of it and the chest and shoulder blade pain is still there. I am told mine is likely from tight scar tissue from major surgeries and I will just have to bear it. If GP and YOU are satisfied this is not an emergency situation then it probably is not. YOU are the key here, though.

1 Like

Did your doctor check your heart? If you are not satisfied with that or you condition worsens go to A&E, they’re better equipped to check you over more thoroughly than your gp can do in the very limited allotted time frame they have to work by.

1 Like

Morning thanks to all for replying yes have had all the tests which you recommend and all results are fine so will wait for the appointment and see what happens hopefully urologists will throw up some light on it personally I think my nervous system may have been affected and will keep up with. Phisio which may help inlong run :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hi @Russm
Welcome to the forum :slight_smile: as you are just discovering this is a great place to ask questions, get a support, raise issues also to rant, celebrate, share, and give support .

While we aren’t medically trained we do have an awful lot of lived experience that adds up to being the wisdom of the crowd. We also have a degree of understanding that is just impossible in the trained community and it’s only accessible to draw on when you have lived experience.

You said it in your OP but you had the stroke in march and that you’ve been doing all your exercises. In that case I would suggest a number of things that are causes for suspicion .

Your new body feelings could be a result of the neurological damage, or your medication, or your altered gait / dexterity / posture and muscle usage; not to mention the exertions of doing exercises.

Meds, particularly statins have side effects that can include aches. But also the neurological issues could account for anything. if you only had your stroke in march you’ve got two themes going on. In the first few ( 6?) months during which the body will be clearing up the damage and you’ve got a lifelong journey during which all sorts of random and new sensations are going to occur that you haven’t had before and you can’t attribute to anything obvious. An example would be central stroke pain that generally doesn’t kick in until 4 months after your stroke.

For some those changes quite naturally lead to anxiety about having a new stroke. Anxiety management strategies are useful in those circumstances.

Anxiety does have physical effects as does PTSD which is a very broad term merely meaning you’ve got stress after a trauma. It’s not battlefield related at all . I put a post with another illustration given to me by one of my neuro whatever’s in a post on anxiety somewhere on the forum you can search with for it with the magnifying glass. If you put an @ sign and a user ID then you only get that person’s posts and then you can search through the so in this case for anxiety, you might also try stress from other people.

Any advice that says get a doctor’s appointment or go to a&e is never going to be wrong but it’s likely that as you grow into your new body’s behaviours you’ll learn that it’s just different now.

I suspect most of us have done it. I went to a&e twice in the first 6 months after I was discharged from the ward at hospital. The feelings that sent me there have not gone away but I haven’t gone to spend the day sat in a corridor since. The symptoms that took me there were very very real, very worrying, and I was right to go as you will be. I’m a bit further along the journey now (2½ yrs) so have my perspective has to do many others here none of our perspectives are right for you all of our perspectives taken together may serve you with reasonable guidance though

Welcome and good luck with your journey through post-stroke life
Simon
PS you might search for things like “better person” to see that it’s not all bad post stroke

2 Likes

Thanks very much all posts help and are interesting seems it’s a long journey good luck with your situation :+1:

2 Likes

Oops I address the wrong person in my reply - sorry @robboo76 & @Russm

Dont know whether that was cognition, finger trouble or something else :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is one very good post of Simon’s on stress and it’s vicious cycle, certainly worth a read and one to bear in mind going forward in your recovery.

Just select the blue title to open, to see the full post with diagram.

1 Like