Anxiety

Hi Anne, I had an undiagnosed stroke that has left me with epilepsy. For over 6 months no one seemed to be able to tell me why I kept collapsing.  i found shopping very very tiring for a long time and sometimes forgot what I needed to buy so swopped to on line shopping. I was terrified that I would collapse when out on my own so tried to always have someone with me.  I learnt that some shops made me feel worse than others, some supermarkets were fine, others awful so I just avoided the awful ones and gradually found the confidence to go alone. Two years on I realise that some of my anxiety was made worse by the well meaning anxiety of those around me, they made me feel that I couldn't cope so I felt that too.  In time I gradually got stronger but tried to do things without saying to anyone that I intended to go to a shop until after I had done it.  It was like proving to myself and them that I could still do things without any pressure. 

Help given can be something of a post code lottery.  Try contacting your local health authority and see what they have for you.  Self motivation is hard especially with fatigue added to the mix. Develop a daily routine to give you some structure and set small goals to achieve, celebrate when you achieve them.  It's not easy but perseverence will achieve results. Good luck.

Great to know that.  Just curious about your medication. What are they?  I am on Rosuvastatin (10mg), Dipyridamole (200mg) and Aspirin (75mg) daily.  Did the doctor advised on halving the medication?  Glad you are back to your good old self.  

Fatigue. I've found this the most challenging part of my recovery. I had a stroke in February 2016 and have made a good recovery. However, even now, from time to time I hit a wall and just feel wiped out. Because I look pretty normal (as much as I ever did!), people don't really understand and probably expect more from me than I can give. After these 4 1/2 years, this is still a factor although much more manageable and I don't get so wound up as before because I know the pattern and realise that this is not a sign of something serious. Also, there are still small improvements which are almost unnoticed but still real. The anxiety has been helped greatly by hearing that this fatigue is not uncommon. 

Hi- I've read that fatigue is very common in stroke survivors--even after many years, but it is supposed to be less and less over time.  You really encouraged me to hear that you are still noticing improvements after 4 1/2 years.  It has been 2 years since my stroke, and though I am doing quite well, like you I look pretty normal.  But inside is another story often. I fatigue quite easily.  In fact, I wake up fatigued!  But it is better than it used to be.  So I'll just keep on truckin' and rest when I need to. Love, Jeanne

Fatigue and anxiouty seem to be the most challeging things I had my stroke in2017 and still suffer from both and I look normal to other people so that makes it more difficult to deal with. I try to carry on with a struggle but have got no option. Best wishes to all. Norma.

Just curiouis about the terminology of "Fatigue".  Does it mean tireness soley?  Mine includes dizziness, light headed, headache, sore eyes, nausea, etc.  Feel like having a hangover!  Getting out of bed is challenging too..............

Hello, Anne.  I suffered strokes in July, and I have found daily meditation incredibly helpful.  I am using an online app, which helps me to live in the present moment and keep stress at bay or even eradicate altogether.  Ten minutes of just concentrating on breathing it and breathing out does absolute wonders.  I wish you all the very best, Isabel  

Sorry to hear about your sister. Hope she's OK. After my stroke beginning of march this year I've not had much follow up with anyone apart from the consultant from hospital over the phone for literally 3mins.i didn't know  anything. was left completely in the dark so I rang the stroke.org.uk people. Absolutely brilliant they put me in touch with a psychologist because I don't want medication. Also a weekly phone call with a lady who survived a stroke to swap notes n tips n generally get everything off your chest with someone who, s been through it.i think depression(feeling down) is a common feature. Ring around local organisations i,f you look on Internet for stroke organisations etc. Good luck. 

Hi Colin , Cinderella illness . Seen you use this before , feel a bit stupid ! But would interested to understand meaning .

THANKS DAVID. 

Stroke treatment is badly funded. Heart problems, cancer etc are better funded. Stroke survivors are often ignored and left to get on with it. 

cinderella was badly funded. Ignored by her rich sisters.

this phrase is used from time to time to explain a situation when one person is treated as a third rate individual.

I had six weeks help from the NHS but then i was left to get on with it. My GP said he had very little training in stroke. He tried to help, but why did he not have anywhere to get third party help?

Hope this helps 

Colin

Thanks Colin 

DAVID. 

hi Anne I suffered 3 stroke in a matter of 3weeks in April2019 the first six moths I did remarable well and returned to work in the later of the year three months after that I hit a brick wall I was feeling depressed my memory was a little  off and concentration is terrible I go upstairs to have a shower and do all sorts of thing before the shower I even go down somtimes without showering!!!!  My husband is very supportive he tells me Distracted  again I see. I have tired many things and keep fit class twice a week did go to the stroke club but every thing has stopped now there are puzzle books tha are good they are on amazon especially for stroke affected people. I have also a stroke co-ordinator who keeps in contact by phone at present due too covid. If you have a care cordinator try and get hold  to see if they have any advice for you! the one I say is we only have one day at a time worry about tommorrow when it arrives  X take care hope this will  be of help Janet

That must have been very difficult for you. You are wise going out on your own to build your confidence, I am doing the same. I wish you well and that you will get stronger.

Anne

Hi Isabel I'm glad that the meditation is helping you, I'm am trying that too it works sometimes for me. It is hard to deal with.
I hope you continue to combat stress and I wish you well. 
Anne 

Can you access on-line shopping?  You can take as long as you like and it helps you feel that you are doing something positive by yourself. I found that knitting helped me.  Immediately after my stroke I couldn't follow the pattern instructions and counting stitches was joke , but I had a new baby to knit for which spurred me on.  I chose simple patterns and have gradually worked my way back up to the things I could do before.  I find the knitting very relaxing and something positive comes out of it.  Best wishes, Val

Hi Norma, I find that there is a huge difference in some shops to others.  Whether it is the lighting or layout I don't know, I really struggle in the local Morrisons since my stroke, I can't seem to get my act together at all, I'm aware that I wander around almost in a trance and even with a list can't remember what I need, even walking around is difficult as my balance gets worse as I get tired.  Yet, I can go to Tesco or Lidl without any problem.  It's not anxiety because I had my first stroke in Lidl but Morrrisons leaves me an exhausted wreck and needing a sleep when I get home. 

Hi Norma ,after my stroke I felt as unsteady and was so frightened of falling.I live alone which made it worse.I saw a friend who told me to use a stick. Advice ...not to worry about your image ....use the stick...build your confidence till you feel better,,slow and steady. This I did , now I am fine but the stick is always there if I felt it necessary.