Anxiety and nerves

Dear Marylin

my surgeries havent been bad at all. At least they are trying their best. We have been in a very low level tier, in fact we asked to go up to tier two.

i was a bit surprised when, this morning, i was asked to ring the surgery back tomorrow. A change of system. At least they answered the phone and i had someone to speak to.

however, we have gone from very low covid rates, well below 100, mostly below 50, and then Essex went covid mad. And my area is now a dangerous 700.

i dont want to go near anyone now.

Not sure where we go with the NHS from here. If covid dies away, we wont have much of an NHS to pick up the horror levels of arrears.

i already go to a private dentist. I got a major op done privately in 2020. But i have numerous other medical issues awaiting. Not sure if i can afford much more private. It is so expensive.

colin

Hi Colin

private treatment is not an option for us, we don't have the means. I have an nhs dentist who is very good.  The nhs is fantastic- once you access the system, it is gaining access at a primary GP level that is almost impossible.   There will be a tremendous backlog once covid is under control, so the chances of treat for the older person  are not good.  Goodness knows where the financial cost of covid will end. I only got treatment for my TIA via 111,  I lost the partial sight in my right for 10 minutes but fully recovered and felt ok.  2 days later still couldn't get hold of GP, recorded message said ring 111, which I did, 15 minutes later and ambulance and 2 paramedics were outside the door.  A and E couldn't find anything wrong with me but sent me to eye hospital where a consultant made a and e refer me to a stroke clinic the next day. There they found a clot in carotid artery.  Told me I had a 1 in 3 chance of a massive stroke if I didn't have an operation to remove it.  A naval surgeon commander told me to remain hospital whilst the blood thinners got out of my system before they could operate as he thought I wouldn't be allowed back because of covid.  Which was good of him .  The staff were good but massively overworked because of three patients with dementia who kept me awake all day and night,poor souls.  We really our lucky to have the NHS.  We just need to contribute more to it.  I also think big is not necessarily better, big is cumbersome and not always efficient.  A surgeon who did my hip replacement on the nhs in a private hospital, said nhs was rotten to the core, I think there maybe some truth in that. The compensation payouts are enormous for things that should never have happened if it was run properly. However the NHS doesn't owe me anything, I have had more than my fair share from it. Marylin

I had a terrible case of pityriasis rosea over Christmas (ironically called the Christmas tree rash), my doctor couldn't tell me what it was but I diagnosed myself pretty successfully. I did feel very isolated, having a severe burning rash and recovering from stroke at the same time. If we insulate ourselves as best as possible, we can avoid any contamination. If only there were more support services provided, either voluntarily or through the government, by younger people less affected by the virus, we would have a better system of support - and thus feel more secure. I don't like the idea of the hospitals having such a strain of patients when we are all so vunerable. My biggest irk is my local surgery, I almost feel as if the GPs are hiding from their patients! I guess we must just be shrewd and careful, and not let panic get the better of us. Although, I suffer from panic attacks, but haven't had one for a while, so small mercies. 

Dear Marylin

yes we should fund the nhs a lot more. I hope against hope that this pandemic offers the opportunity to change the NHS, mainly funding.

I worked as an Accountant for surgeons and GPs. When i started, I also worked for a Matron to a big hospital. The changes i noticed were crazy. Managers and accountants flooded in to the system. 
Reverse the situation. Employ proper, caring nurses by the score. Now is the time for this to happen. But it wont. Sad.

colin

Hi Marylin, yes the NHS has really suffered under sccessive governments, no-one wants to look ahead and make seriously long-term plans, and ultimately we will need to contribute in some way, (taxes).  There is a lot of wastage, I've spent ages in hospitals as my husband has not had good health for years, and so we've seen ways in which things could be run more efficiently ... but it's easy to say that, and far more complex to do anything about it!!  I am still 100% fan of the NHS!!  My friend is having a hip replacement at 11am today!!  She has decided to fund the surgery herself, which she is not pleased about, but had been told that she would be waiting at least 18months - 2 years for the surgery.  She lives alone and just cannot manage for that long.  I had a hip replacement in 2005 in an NHS hospital, then a knee replacement in 2017 as an NHS patient in a private hospital (outsourcing I believe is term).  Both experiences were good, each surgeon was brilliant and the teams around them were so professional.  Both surgeons worked in the NHS and in the private sector.  There is no easy answer, but many services are in a terrible state currently thanks to Covid, and I wonder how long it will take to recover.  Will we ever have sufficient staff to "man" the Nightingale hospitals, thus allowing the 'normal' workload to continue as usual.  It's a politcal nightmare - don't want to go there!!!  

Take care and stay super safe.  Our garden is flooded again, so might do some wild swimming, yeah, really wild ?‍♀️?‍♂️!!  xxx

Hi, do you have access to a stroke team?  My husband had a couple of 'blips' a few months after the stroke, and I called the Early Discharge Team, (who had visited for 6 weeks when he first came home), and then they advised me of the next steps.  I felt comfortable speaking to them as they had got to know us, and they didn't try to fob me off!!  

?

Hi Nicabella

i was booked in for a second hip replacement after our return from NZ, bad hip caused by clambering in and out to drive my sons range rover of all ridiculous things.  He has now bought a discovery which he assures me lowers to the ground but I am not sure if I will ever be able to do long haul flights again after all the clots I have had.  I cancelled the operation after I suffered with the clot on lung and portal vein in March.  My hip seems to have settled down and only twinges if I sit for a long time on a dining chair.

It is very worrying where all this covid virus and the nhs will end.  I understand that the vAccines are not effective against the South African variant but they are working to make them effective.  I was asked if I had recently been to SA when tried to book a chest X-ray appointment this morning.

on a more positive note I am adding a photo of my one camellia bloom for you.  Sadly it is already slightly burnt by sun on the frost as it was planted, not by me, facing east and the early morning sun, a gardening no no.  It saddens me when such perfection is marred.  However it is a herald of what I am sure will be a very beautiful spring.  Sorry to hear your garden is under water,  it good for it.

Sorry technology defeated me will yay with photo again

I'm having a lazy day ... we walked just over 12 miles, 3 miles for 4 days, between C'mas and NY, and I noticed that I now have several blisters on my toes!! My friend is sitting in-waiting for her hip operation, so we're exchanging VERY silly whatsapp messages just to keep her spirits up - she's desperate for coffee, poor babe, so trying to distract her.  She decided against having a general anaesthetic, just the epidural ? (she's had two c-sections under epidural, so she trusts the process), she also wants to be in charge!!  So we're having plenty of jokes about all of that.  I've offered to pay the extra for a G.A. but she's not having any of it, she's taken her Black & Decker tool box with her, just in case ?

I may be repeating myself (?), but we have a solitary daffodil in full bloom in the village, brave little soldier, and my neighbour has an early flowering cherry, which is mostly hanging over into our garden, I don't think they get the benefit of it!!  Very strange to see pink blossom in early January.  A large tree fell down in the field at the end of the garden, so my husband has gone down to drag it into our garden ready to chain saw into logs once we can get out there. I'm sure the farmer won't miss it!!  

If you manage to reach the point of having hip surgery, it sounds as though you might need a team approach to manage your meds and medical needs.  My husband had about 3 teams involved when he had chemo last year, I think it's important to sort out all the risk factors.  

Anyway, I'm rambling on again - it's my only talent!!  xxx  

Wowza!  Looks like there are some cheeky buds about to join the first flower!  Must be the Cornish climate ?

Hi

i hope you enjoyed your lazy day.  I am a literary rambler, but long walks are not possible for me.  I like writing, in fact I am participating in a Zoom Writing course this weekend.  A Christmas present from my daughter.  Online courses are a great distraction from the covid situation and work well.  I did a Poetry course last Autumn and found myself interacting with published poets, one was on a Scottish isle,  me who had never written a poem before, or barely read one.  It was very stimulating.  Anyone can participate, itis really great fun.

I am off for a chest X-ray this morning, hopefully this and numerous blood tests will provide the answer to what is causing my blood to make clots and my shortness of breath.  

After the last operation which was done under local anaesthetic whilst they practically cut my throat, I don't wish to have another unless it is unavoidable.  Certainly not without a GA.  I am a coward.  Faint feelings of each cut and stitch are not for me.

the news pictures from the USA are shocking this morning, civil disorder is frightening to watch.  There seems to be evil at work.  Watching our parliament disintegrate into baying and screaming at one another was bad enough but no one was killed. Four people dead for what?

Hope your Canute technique has caused your floods to recede before they damage your garden.it is very chilly here, layers of woolies are necessary I think to keep warm, I blame the blood thinners for my inability to keep warm.  Keep rambling. Keep safe,   Marylin

Friend had to have GA in the end, the spinal block didn't work, but she's got her new hip and yesterday evening she was walking around on her zimmer frame!!  She had a dreadfully painful night, but morphine has taken care of that!!  

I love to read, and have often thought that I would use my retirement to write books for children, but so far I haven't put a single word on a page ?, but your course sounds fun and I think you have a way with words, so I'm sure you'll be successful.  

I hope you have some answers for your blood clots and shortness of breath, it will be good to know the cause and then plan the way forward.  

My husband is on Clopidogrel and he's always cold.  Even during the hottest of summers he wears at least 2 layers of clothing.  Our heating costs are a nightmare!!

Best wishes for your tests today xx 

Hi 

I am back from my X-ray.   Glad to hear that your friend has had a successful new hip.  My husband would not let me take the morphine, he had a cousin who became addicted to prescribed morphine medication.  I do still have a bottle full. They gave me clopiwhotsit in hospital with huge does of aspirin whilst waiting for the thinners to clear my system

have a look at the website of Jenny Alexander www.Jennyalexander.co.U.K.  Seems I am not allowed to give a website address as the U.K. should be in lower case with no dot in between.  Jenny is marvellous at creating an encouraging supportive group! Ideal for beginners.  Have a go, I am sure you will love it.  An ideal thing for lock down.  Ideal for any of us.  You do not need anything except a device and internet connection.  Oh and the fee!  

the sky is blue and the sun is shining here so having had my coffee, I will bundle up and take the Jack Russell. For a totter around the block.  Think I had better start wearing a mask for my stroll as the  new variants are so infectious.  We are in the next group for the vaccine but I think there will be quite a wait.  Yet another needle puncture, ive already had three this week, I am black and blue, heigh ho I am alive.  Marylin

Thank you so much for all your advice..it's invaluable.I am getting there,but a good night's sleep would be a cause for celebration! I am doing the mindfulness ,it's not easy.My GP is brilliant.He suggested Headspace app. Thank you again.Being alone is so hard.I will be fine when I can start my gardening..Spring coming....

Thank you so much for all your advice..it's invaluable.I am getting there,but a good night's sleep would be a cause for celebration! I am doing the mindfulness ,it's not easy.My GP is brilliant.He suggested Headspace app. Thank you again.Being alone is so hard.I will be fine when I can start my gardening..Spring coming....

Thank you .

Marylin it is sometimes difficult to get in touch with the GP,but usually they get back to you.You may be able to get results from the secretaries at the surgery.There is an option when I phone my surgery,to 1: get results 2: make an appointment etc,.Don't be worried ,ring !  I'm good at giving advice but not to myself!

I got in touch with my area stroke nurse and she got a telephone appointment with a GP.  Stroke nurse are wonderful. Marylin

found mindfulness and related techniques useful after my stroke - 

Some free resources here:

Heres some links:

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/

https://www.oxfordmindfulness.org/free-online-mindfulness-course-sessions/

- Although initially aimed at teens, this Canadian app can be applied to any age:

https://www.anxietycanada.com/resources/mindshift-cbt/

- Meditation isn't all about incense and sitting crossed legged its about getting some headspace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6eFFCi12v8

- This technique can be very effective too and can be adapted for when in social situations so that no one knows you are doing anything:

https://mcrhypnotherapy.wordpress.com/tag/butterfly-hug/

Ruby Wax has some good stuff on mindfulness - her other videos and books are worth exploring too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1iVE8wxGwA

Hope these help, contact me if you want to talk about using the techniques and other ways of relaxing/calming the mind.

Take care

Mark

Theres lots of of other stuff and techniques out there - happy to make other suggestions