Another newbie

Well, here I am. I wish I wasn’t, but we can’t turn the clock back, can we.
Almost 3 months ago I was sitting at my desk, at home, with a coffee, nothing untoward. I noticed the cursor on my computer screen was doing strange things. I thought the problem may lay with my mouse, so I got up to get a spare and noticed that my right foot was dragging. Couldn’t miss it really, I nearly fell over the thing. Eventually the sad truth started to dawn on me and my wife called an ambulance. The rest is probably similar to your story.
After 3 weeks in hospital (17 hours sleep in total during those weeks) I suffered an angina attack. Never had one before, but I was in the right place. The ‘crash team’ transferred me to the cardiac ward for all of 20 minutes before being popped into an ambulance and blue lighted to Brighton hospital, where I underwent the insertion of two stents into my heart (arteries). Back to the cardiac ward for observation. Eventually I gained discharge at the end of my 4th week, and since then have been PT with a nice lady called Sandy and lots of ‘homework’.
I was hoping my standard sleeping pattern would return, but at most I get about 2 to 3 hours a night. I notice from posts that I’m not the only one suffering.
Took a stagger along the street with my stick for the first time 2 days ago. Managed about a couple of hundred yards before I realised that I’d have to stagger back, and spent yesterday recovering. Hopefully I’ll get some strength back in my right hand and arm so that I can generate some kind of mobile independence, locally, with my wheelchair.
Anyway, enough about me, I’m not very interesting. Thank you for taking the trouble to read this. Wishing you all the very best,
Bob.

6 Likes

@BobQ1 Hi & welcome to the forum. The group that no one wants to join but now you’re here we hope you find it useful.

Sounds like you’ve been through it a bit with a stroke & having stents fitted.

As you mention a lot of people suffer sleep issues after a stroke. I had the ☍ problem & seemed to sleep loads after years of very little sleep.

The first few months of stroke recovery your brain will be doing lots of rewiring & you’ll probably find you’ll need plenty of rest. Listen to your body & rest when you need to. Build your activity levels up gradually & always remember if you do go for a walk you have to factor in the return trip.

With hard work & determination you shoukd start to see some improvements in your abilities.

Wishing you the very best.

Ann x

2 Likes

Wow @BobQ1

Bob?

That’s all a hell of a lot!!!

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you will find a bit of sympathy and empathy and understanding on here.

As well as madness and fun of course :polar_bear: :wink:

YOU ARE NO LONGER ALONE

I know you didn’t want to join this club but hey it’s free membership!!

pardon me that’s bloody wrong - I’m more interesting in you now than whether Liverpool score a 4th to be honest @Nigelglos

What are you getting in terms of help and assistance.

Have a look at these if you want of if not search anything and if not just rant!!! We all do it!

Please keep taking to us!!

Kieran :polar_bear: :wink:

Here is a picture of a snow leopard getting there in the end carefully but competently just for you!

Snow Leopard Facts - Snow Leopard Trust

4 Likes

Thank you so much, Ann. Looking forward to the occasional chat.
Bless you,
Bob

4 Likes

Ho, Kieran! Thank you for your, possibly, misguided interest.
I will certainly take a squint at the items you’ve mentioned.
Thanks also for the snow leopard pic. Did you paint it? Damn good if you did!
I’ll certainly keep talking as long as I’ve something worthwhile to contribute… not so much if I haven’t.
Thank you so much for the welcome.
Best, Bob.

2 Likes

You certainly have piqued my interest mate!!

Nope I didn’t I’m afraid!!

But I did draw this polar bear K :polar_bear: :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @BobQ1, sorry you’ve had to join this particular club but now that you’re here, just pull up a chair and share your tales with us…we promise the polar bear won’t bite :wink:

I think we’ve all made that mistake on our first walk outside, I thought my hubby would have to carry me home :sweat_smile: So next day I just halved to distance out so I had enough oomph for the return trek plus a little to spare. You need to learn to pace yourself, and always keep a little energy in reserve for any unexpected surprises…good or bad :smile: And be sure to keep up with your homework :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :laughing:

2 Likes

EmeraldEyes.
Thank you for the warm welcome. There are some lovely people on this site, aren’t there!
Yes, I have arrived at the conclusion that whatever you THINK you can do, do half of that and be sure to get home. Could be embarrassing to phone my wife to get the car out to collect me from a hundred yards away.
Looking forward to sharing a conversation or two in the not-too-distant future.
Blessings,
Bob.

2 Likes