A newbie at this stroke thing

Please can someone let me know IS THERE LIFE AFTER A STROKE....

I can't seem to see anything positive at the moment, I'm trying so hard that I feel so tense and achey all the time...

I just want to feel normal and happy again, will this ever happen?

There is life after stroke, but it is hard fought for and not to be taken for granted. It took me about two years to walk reasonably (with a stick) cook, bake, go on short breaks and go shopping with confidence. In my first year, I wrote a short poem a day in order to understand my feelings and emotions. I still write them occasionally.

Exercise classes helped enormously and calming myself down when stressed. My second mild stroke this year, was a setback and the pandemic hasn't helped. Unfortunately, I don't feel 'normal, but, hey, I'm a 76 year old gay man, so,to many, I have never been normal. At my age, I don't give a monkey's. I am back walking, exercising with Joe Wicks, cooking etc., I've had to fight all my life. Make your motto, 'Never give up. Never give in'

Absolutely there is life after stroke but it takes time.  It's not easy at first so set yourself small goals to achieve. Write a list - start little and build up.  My biggest goal was being able to peel potatoes again. Simple things that everyone else takes for granted but a giant step for me! Once you achieved one of those goals, give it a big tick and celebrate in a way that makes you feel good such as buy yourself a new lipstick or a face pack or something that's a treat just for you. Do your exercises religously. I know they are boring but it's the brains way of re-learning how to do what it used to do without having to think about it.  You will feel normal but it's a different kind of normal.  You learn to live your new life a different way and as time goes by, it becomes normal to you.  Try not to despair - deep breathing exercises are good for releasing the tension and stretching exercises are helpful for the aches.  Hope you feel better soon x

Thankyou for the encouragement, sometimes I feel as if I'm feeling sorry for myself, it's such an effort to try and be me again...

maybe I could reinvent myself, I've got to do something or I will go crazy ? 

Thankyou for your kind message, today my father in law passed away and it's been so difficult, he was like a father to me, but at 95 it was his time..

I'm trying so hard to be strong for the people around me, I just want to be ME again....not a train wreck that I feel that I am, how I wish I had a magic wand,but that's not meant to be..

I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. You are greiving for your father-in-law on top of everything including grieving for your life pre-stroke.  The only advice I can give is to try and take each day at a time and don't take on too much right now.  If you feel like a good cry, let it out.  Crying is all part of the emotional trauma your brain is going through - more so right now.  Bottling things up will come back and hit you harder later on.  Would you be able to ring your GP and explain the situation? He may be able to prescribe something temporarily to help you through this tough time.  My heart goes out to you.

Yes, that's exactly what I always tell myself whenever I find things difficult or discouraging: "Never give up. Never give in." ☺

Yes there is life after Stroke, like other replies says it takes time. I remember being in that place of anxiety and uncertainty, it's not nice to be there. I found setting small manageable goals helped. For me it was making a drink or toast and giving myself a treat when I achieved it! When setting another goal.I was advised to keep a short journal each day writing down what had gone well and what I was worried about. I have read over it some years post stroke and I am still amazed how far I'd come. I also found doing my exercises daily helped enormously, taking a nap when I was tired and asking for help when I needed it. Be very kind and patient with yourself, like all of us Stroke survivors we are on a new road so we often have to learn the way we can go and that takes time. My very best wishes to you.

Bad day yesterday afternoon/evening, I think I was emotionally and tired out, I didn't do a lot, just a lot of phone calls, re. Work, stroke nurse etc

i ached all over and could not stop crying and hyperventilating,I was in such despair ? 

I spoke to my doctor this morning and he has prescribed me sertraline, has anybody taken this before, and will it work, I know I'm looking for a magic wand, I will try anything.

ive tried , deep breathing,anxiety videos and relaxation but nothing seems to work, I would be so grateful if somebody could give me some tips on how to cope with these terrible feeling of despair that I keep getting....

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but Im 4 and half years post stroke and Ive not felt normal or happy since stroke. I tried part time work from home, but Ive just given that up as I couldnt cope any longer. Hopefully all the positive responses has given you a little boost and hope for the future, but just letting you know that you are not alone if you think your negative thoughts and struggles are not normal. Ultimately, time will tell. 

I dont know how your stroke has affected you but it does get easier i had mine 3 yrs ago and it affected my  head very badly but I have learned tolive with thie peculiar feeling I have got all the time I never feel normal but just try to get on with it  All the best to you and try to stay positive   Norma  81 yrs young 

it's six weeks today since my stroke and wow have things turned around, I'm on Sertraline 50mg now which I take at night as during the day it would make me feel quite ill and nauseous, it's seven days now but I have seen an improvement in my mood. I still get quite anxious and can't face anything to do with instructions like making a cake, or doing some of my cross stitch, which is quite frustrating. Plus I can't yet go out on my own, I've stayed home alone and really pushed myself to do this, just for half an hour but I did it. My father in law died two weeks ago so I've got his funeral on Tuesday and I know that's going to be difficult but I shall do it.

i had a zoom call from the neurophysiology  doctor for one and a half hours and it was so useful she really understood me, I've got to have 8/10 more sessions with her.

i still have tears and need lots of hugs from my husband but I can see a light there maybe just a flicker, so people don't give up, I'm 60 and if I can show that things will improve hopefully it will help you.

That's so good to hear of your improvements. You must be really proud of yourself that you've got through those difficult 6 weeks. The tears and the need for hugs will still come - I'm 3 yrs post stroke on Sunday and I still get tearful at Dog Rescuers crying .