You’re too young to have had a stroke!

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and taking the time to reply. 

I am sorry you have experienced this but pleased to read like me, you have no communication nor mobility issues. 

The brain fog is natural at this time, it is your brains way of repairing and rewriting itself. I found having plenty of rest and drinking plenty of water totally helps. 

Things will get better and you will learn what your limits are. It is natural to be scared - it's been nearly 3 months for me and I still get moments of being scared about having another but am slowly beginning to accept I cannot live my life like that. As long as you are on the right medication, you should be fine. 

the not sleeping is normal too. I go between not sleeping to other days where I can sleep 18 hours a day. I started drinking sleep tea which helps. 

the important thing to note is everything you are feeling and experiencing is normal in these circumstances. It took me about a month to accept that and finding this forum definitely helped!! 

please feel free to private message me at any point. 

M

Hi

How you doing, am kinda cheesed off with the sensor on this site as it tends to miss out words when you are explaining something, in my previous post I was telling you about my nephew but the sensor missed out the word d.i.e.d (have to put in the full stop to get round it) it not the first time the sensors done this, am fed up, been having a melt down with trying to get my pip form filled, the same question over and over, am not liking the new Steve he's a miserable git!,

I haven't told anyone about my stroke only people on a need to know base.

Keep well and keep paddling

Steve

Hi Steve, sounds like you’ve just had a bad day which we all get now and then. The sensors are a pain but you get used to them, I wouldn’t let that stop me from posting on the site though. 

I’ll miss seeing your dog he’s lovely, and your humour. I would maybe just read the posts for a bit, there may be some you can answer as well which will be a help to one of us.

The stroke association local to you will have someone who will help you with the PIP form, they are very good. I joined 2local stroke groups and they have helped me so much to come to terms with the stroke, it’s good to meet up with them each week and just chat. I still have a wobble every now and again but most of us do and that’s what’s happened to you this week.

Hang on in there Steve and keep paddling

Ann

Your post could of been mine. I had my stroke in December & physically I look ok but the cognitive issues, sensory overload & fatigue continue (it does improve but is taking a long time & it is frustrating).  I also get very anxious over everything - I call it my stroke paranoia & find that I just can't always be rational. I've only just returned to work on a phased basis (2 hours 3 times a week) & that's after nearly 9months post stroke. I also had medics asking was I back at work a few weeks after. However not from my Consultant; his analogy of think of it as the equivalent of having an arm or a leg amputated. Just because we can't see the damage on the outside doesn't make it a lesser disability. Please be kind to yourself, and as others on this forum have said to me, take enough rest & keep hydrated. I find being outside and walking has helped me tremendously being indoors with artificial light, noise etc continues to give me problems. I'm awaiting new glasses which hopefully will cut out blue light ( seemingly this is the baddy in lighting?). I'm dreading the winter months & not being able to be out as much in natural light. Please  be kind to yourself, you will know when you are ready for the next new thing, work etc. Perhaps ask your GP to refer you to a Stroke Consultant/team; with their input you may then get the support & advice you need. Keep in touch here you are not alone.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and also replying. The support from this group has truly been a blessing!! It really helps to know that what I am experiencing is real and not just my imagination. 

I am making a good recovery and things are getting better, it's just a slower process than I would have liked but am beginning to accept it!!

the fatigue, sensory overload and emotions are still my main Issues but I have learned to deal with them - maybe not in the best way for king term but they help in the here and now. 

I have been signed off for a further 8 weeks. Up until now, this has been reviewed every 4 weeks but my Occupational Health team at work requested a longer period. I've been told I need to be living a normal life before I even consider a return to work. I have set myself little goals to work to each week. Last week was to start driving and this week is to start cooking meals from scratch. So far so good. Next week I am attempting to read a book.  It holding out much hope for this one as my concentration still waivers but I'll get there!!! 

I hope your return to work is going well. 

I am here if you need me 

x

Hello Steve. 

I hope things are better today? I haven’t really noticed the sensor issue, I have just been putting things down to damn autocorrect on my phone!!!

I hope you managed to get your PIP completed? I have to admit I had to Google what this was. I haven’t heard of it before!! Good luck!! 

You will learn to reign the new ‘miserable git’ Steve in! I’m sure as things start to improve, you will notice improvements. I thought I had got the better of my emotions but have had full on meltdowns this week. I had a pretty busy week last week and In My wisdom, thought a weekend In Amsterdam at the weekend would have been good. Turns out my brain didn’t cope well, especially the sensory overload!  My poor husband got the brunt yesterday!! I made a curry for tea (my first attempt at cooking since my stroke). I was pleased with my efforts but my husband found a bone in his in his first bite. He didn’t mind and put it to the side but this was like a red rag to me and I had a total meltdown. my husband tried to console me and told me not to be silly and that it was fine. This caused a further meltdown at his use of the word ‘silly’. This is a word we have used with each other Over the last 14 years and is always said in endearment and a way to make light of anything but yesterday, it did not go down well. He got the brunt of my wrath poor thing!

I have been signed off for a further 8 weeks. Up until now, this has been reviewed every 4 weeks but my Occupational Health team at work requested a longer period. I've been told I need to be living a normal life before I even consider a return to work. I have set myself little goals to work to each week. Last week was to start driving and this week is to start cooking meals from scratch. So far so good. Next week I am attempting to read a book.  Not holding out much hope for this one as my concentration still waivers but I'll get there!!! 

Keep your chin up, you can do this!!!

My son was 17years old and last year he suffered a massive stroke...he was lucky, we got to hospital quickly, and the drs & nurses treated him quickly, the stroke doctor was on leave but came to hospital as he was the youngest he'd seen in 25 years. My son made a full recovery. Luckily he had no lasting effects, but they found a hole in heart that caused the stroke. We've been told he needs an op to repair the hole, but it's not funded on nhs, we have to pay £10,000. 

Really I don’t know what to say. 

Hi there, 

I am currently waiting for a repair on a PFO (hole in the heart), which has just been discovered after further tests after a stroke I had in March. 
My cardiologist informed me that the funding has just become available for this again on the nhs, after it was discontinued in 2016. 
So I would ask again before going privately! 
I hope this helps. 

Hi there, 

I am currently waiting for a repair on a PFO (hole in the heart), which has just been discovered after further tests after a stroke I had in March. 
My cardiologist informed me that the funding has just become available for this again on the nhs, after it was discontinued in 2016. 
I hope this helps. 

Hi there, 

I hope this helps. 

No one told us this... I will speak to the surgeon at papworth hospital Thankyou 

Stroke paranoia? Part of anxiety? Its tearing my relationship apart. I had an undiagnosed TIA in 2010, now diagnosed courtesy of a trip to specsavers. It explains alot.

Hi, welcome to the group. This maybe of interest to you:

differentstrokes.com

It is a charity designed uniquely to help younger stroke survivors, they have support groups set up all over the UK, hopefully they will have something in your area. Good luck.

Regards Sue

Hi mcassidy, i am glen, 43 years old & just recently had a stroke last sept 19 while I was vacationing w/ my family in Paris. Like what you experienced, I also feel like it was actually a blessing that my stroke happened in Paris (a 1st world country) coz I was also given d best & immediate care when it happened w/c I think prevented things from getting worse! Like yourself, I was also a very active & athletic person before my stroke happened that's why I was really surprised when the stroke happened. Prior to our Paris trip, I cleared all medical tests and was given a clean bill of health by my doctors except for slight gastritis coz I have acid reflux, but other that I was totally fine! On d day of my stroke, I was just having lunch w/ my family when all of a sudden I noticed that I couldn't move my left hand & I even fell on my wife as I was trying to move to another chair on d dining table. We hurriedly called the hotel emergency # & they attended to us immediately calling for an ambulance that drove me to the nearest hospital w/c was around 20mis away. When we got to the hospital, all tests were immediately done & they said that I had an ischemic stroke on my right cerebral artery that paralized my left arm & foot! I was then transferred to another hospital w/c had a specialty neuro ward & I stayed in their ICU for 10 days!!! Being in Paris supposedly just for a 15 day vacation, obviously our plans were changed & we were not able to fly home on our original scheduled date. To add to our concerns, home is a 16 hour flight from Paris & the doctors did not want me to fly home w/o a special nurse accompanying me. God is really good as all were done & I was back home in Manila straight to another hospital by sept 30. On oct 4 I was discharged from the hospital wheel-chair bound as I still couldn't move my left arm, leg & foot! Last oct 2, I started my rehab work & happy to announce that after 1 month of twice daily therapy, now I am back on my feet & can already move my fingers, hand and arm. Although there still is a lot of work to be done, I am remaining positive & am targeting full recovery back into being able to do daily regular activities in another month. It has not been easy though, like you, the feeling of fatigue or heaviness is a daily struggle even if I'm not exercising. I noticed that the heaviness starts right after I take my morning BP meds & the it would last until mid afternoon. I also struggle w/ anxiety w/c makes me imagine scary stuff when I close my eyes. It's such a hassle that it makes it difficult for me to nap when I want to. Post stroke, bec of the things I was feeling & the anxiety, it made me turn to prayer. I prayed for a calm mind against my fears & most esp I prayed for my complete recovery. I will ask my doctor if she can change my meds to those that don't give me the heavy feeling side effect....wish me luck:)IV written too long already, I'm happy to have found this support group. People like us need this! Keep on fighting guys, EVERYTHING IS TEMPORARY, OUR STRUGGLE WILL END SOON!

I had the operation a year ago privately. Paid £11000 but money well spent as at the time the talk was funding would be reinstated but didn't know when. Has made such a difference mentally. I was told a couple of months ago by hospital that funding is now available so would definitely follow it up. Hope you sort it out.

I’ve seen a cardiologist today. I’ve been put on a waiting list for PFO repair. I thought I’d have to have an arguement for wanting it but they said with my age, lifestyle and general overall fitness, leaving me on blood thinners for the rest of my life wasn’t the better option and could actually be harmful as I get older. See if you can get another opinion, the funding is there x

You're welcome. I hope you get a good response. 

I actually had my stroke almost 10 years ago now. It was October 20, 2010 and 2 days before my 22 birthday.  They now know that Yaz birth control that I was taking for 3 months formed a blood clot that went to my brain. I have had many tattoos since I was 18 and before that I had a bunch of piercings.  At the time my daughter was 3 and we lived at my parents. I woke up at 6 am to get ready for work and right before I got into the shower I felt like my brain was on fire and dizzy.  I atleast had the sense to go in my parents room and wake them up and tell them something was wrong before I collapsed. My parents called the ambulance and my neighbor was luckily a nurse that was called over. She could not tell what was wrong with me because they put me on the bed and I was awake, but frozen stiff. I even almost swallowed my tongue and couldn't say anything. The ambulance kept taking forever to arrive (this was after being called 2 more times by my neighbor). When they did arrive, they assumed since I was so young with tattoos, piercings, n a kid that I overdosed. They were talking with a tone as if I couldn't hear them and my neighbor actually argued with them because she said it was obviously not an overdose because of the symptoms I was having. She even put in the IV in for them to keep me hydrated until I was at the ER. The ER assumed I just had an overdose as well and just gave me an x-ray. By this point I was in and out of conciousness and just an x-ray doesn't show signs from a stroke they let me basically sit there. My parents and my daughters aunt kept insisting on an MRI and was told my normal physician has to come in with my past history and sign for the MRI as well. This was early in the morning and so I had to wait until he could leave his office to do so. I ended up waiting almost 9 hours for a test to prove I had something else wrong with me and not the overdose that was assumed by taking a look at me and judging. In this time waiting, I would randomly be conscious and speak to people fine and even took care of any metal I had on me because they told us I needed to for the MRI. By the time I was given the MRI, I was in a coma and then transferred to a different hospital for a stroke. At that point the doctors said I had a 5% chance of living and to have people say their last words to me, because I was the worst in the stroke ward. They did an operation on me, but my brain was swelling too much and temperature wouldn't go down. They ended up freezing my body to cool it down and that obviously killed me n I was revived. This didn't work and they don't try this procedure 2 because it usually doesn't work if it doesn't the first time n so my parents were told I'd be dead soon. My mom lost it because they wouldn't try again and eventually the hospital agreed to try again after a new waiver was signed. After I died again n was revived, I actually got to be stable. I stayed in a coma for a month or so and all together was put in 3 different hospitals as different treatments were needed (that doesn't include the ER). 

I had to literally relearn everything. My eyes were crossed, I couldn't speak, and I couldn't move. After months of doing physical, occupational, and speech therapy, I finally was functioning.  I was told horrible things on that journey (like my eyes wouldn't go back to normal, wouldn't eat, or even that my voice box was paralyzed n I wouldn't be able to speak again, or even make noises). 

I ended up coming home after some months and even talking. My speech sounds horrible in my opinion, but I guess it's better than nothing. My eyes are even straight and I showed them that almost everything that was said I'd never do again was wrong. Yes, I still have a strange voice, I can't write really, walk, or drive. I still am a single parent of a 13 year old and don't have to live with my parents. I have a boyfriend and basically just live one day at a time. 

After my stroke I started to have anxiety,  depression,  and just plain stress.  I have to take stuff for my "tremors " which I don't see my tremors nearly as bad as I've seen other people have.  I recently found out I was misdiagnosed for almost 10 years and I'm bipolar and not just depressed or having anxiety.  I keep having my meds changed, but it could be a lot worse. My daughter could have a dead mother and a may be in a wheelchair,  I still do a lot more than some people do.  I hate my rollercoaster emotions, I understand I have s someone that relies on me and I'm trying   I think that actually talking about everything I'm thinking and feeling works a lot. I never felt the need to talk about my problems before, I kind of feel like I need to now in order to feel like I'm not just going insane.  Even just reading or hearing people's experiences help me feel like I'm not alone.  

Things have changed dramatically since my stroke (I lost my life basically when I was 21. I had to understand that this is life now and I have to live with it.  It took me time to realize that,  I'm very glad I did though. I just know that you have to do things on your time and whatever expectation that is out there for doesn't matter if your doing what you can to be yourself .

Wow, that is quite some story - you have amazing inner strength, and at such a young age. I'm so sorry to hear of the poor treatment you received, but you have survived in spite of all this, and a great role model for your 13 year old ? ? 

Keep strong, and we look forward to your posts and updates.  You will find support, advice and friendship on this site ?