Wrong diagnosis?

In June I was told that evidence of a stroke was found on my CT scan which followed a period of right handed weakness ( which didn’t last long) I posted previously with symptoms of dreadful head pressure, nausea when moving around or related to looking up or down. I ended up seeing a neurologist privately and had an MRI scan. There was no evidence of a stroke on that, but this was four months later. Several theories were put forward, including the idea that the stroke had resolved, and it could have been a perivascular space that was seen on the original scan.
Irrespective of the diagnosis, I stopped taking the original ace inhibitor that was prescribed and felt relief from this. I also took amyltriptaline and over time this has helped. I still have a constant low level pressure at the bank of my head and neck - it’s nowhere near as bad as before, but it’s a bit waring.
I have made it back to work, albeit on s phased return.
I am left wondering whether I have actually suffered a stroke or perhaps a chronic daily migraine which has been brought on by menopause.
It’s a difficult situation to be in as I still am taking clopidogrel and a new bp medication- calcium channel blocker now.
Although I have improved over the months, I have never felt my right self again.
Has anyone been in the situation of either experiencing uncertainty around the diagnosis or had experienced these symptoms?
Thank you for reading.

1 Like

@Caroline52 how confusing for you. It must be very frustrating. Are you able to push for the medical professionals to confirm whether it waa a stroke or not? I would keep on at them until you get answers.

I would expect a stroke to still show on an MRI 4 months after. The CT i had done 12 months after my stroke still showed the original stroke.

I had pressure / pain at the base of my head for months after my stroke. I still get it but its not constant any more.

I hope you manage to get some answers soon.

Best wishes.

Ann x

The clarity and certainty available is sometimes undesirable
Our neuro based hassels present so much complexity with no absolute answers in the best of situations and an nhs that’s too many demands to be equal to many investigative needs.
You may find that accepting the answers are not available and getting to that may make your future more content?

Just a thought

That’s wise advice. Had I not had the mri , which I was able to get privately, then the stroke diagnosis would not have been questioned.
Even the neurologist didn’t offer absolute certainty in his letter which indicates that it could have been a stroke that resolved( a tia?) or it could have been migrainous.
Either way, left with some ongoing fatigue and what might be a chronic daily migraine in my neck. I guess the only difference now would be that I might not have to continue with the blood thinner, but I suspect everyone will err on the side of caution.
Life is full of uncertainty so your words have resonated. Thanks for taking the time to offer your views.

1 Like