Worse since stroke

Thanks Chris I will try to keep on going on. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Love your strong straightforwardness made me smile and want to stand up for myself bit more. But you have hit the nail on the head

isnt handmaids tale on i player , whats it about, our i player not working at moment, bt coming on tuesday

I’m truly sorry about your story. I had mine in 2016. I haven’t had much support from my GP Surgery at that time and until just recently when I’ve changed GP surgeries , put a complaint in to the surgery , the local NHS CCG , and I’ve taken my complaint to the NHS OMBUDSMAN in London.I’m still waiting for a response.
The stroke association wasn’t and hasn’t been much help , even after I took them to task this year.
I assume you’re not working. I suggest you apply for universal credit and ask for a limited capacity for work and work related activity assessment, plus apply for Personal independence payments (P.I.P.), apply to gateway to care , for help with modifications to your home, apply for reduction in council tax, if you’re getting u/c you should not pay for your prescriptions.
Also apply for the warm home discount which should be applied to your gas and electric bills from your supplier.
As for your GP, It is upto them to make sure they look after you, if you don’t think they are, i suggest to talk to them , or at least, write a letter explaining your concerns, if they ignore you then I would suggest that if it is at all possible, to change to a new GP Surgery , one that will have your best interests at heart.
I hope what i have said helps you.

too depressing. feel low as it is,

1 Like

Maggers I am in the same boat Cheltenham hospital is a nightmare give me my meds and off you go .
So since july when recovering from a 2 1/2 month coma and no support from NHS .Thank you Stroke Association a breath of air and giving me a direction to follow.
Very grateful …
So Maggers there is alot of help out there .

1 Like

Morning to you, i am like you, i dont understand my stroke, i am constantly told that it may take up to and beyond 18 months to recover from my stroke. My wife ,who is blind, constantly tells me to live for today, which i do, for me each day is a new beginning, i have brain fog but she reminds me what’s next and gives me a reason to get going, gets me to get on bus into town, with my walking frame. Good days seem more often now almost a year on from my stroke, so dont dispare wellness is just arround the corner.
Try positive thinking each day is a ew begining on the road to well-being its worked for me. Dont hold back tell someone how you feel.

Must go now, lovely to hear from you. Allan Spencer

2 Likes

thats true , i wrote about in hospital but dont know how to upload

Thanks Loshy ,
Just making my way through the help that is available , and it is great to find the amount of support around .
So many things change and mostly life . I suppose that you have to keep your head above water and not let things get to you .
I am lucky to have a good pool of friends but trying to explain what is going on in your head , that is why being here is so valuable in knowing we are in the same boat but with valued help

Gil

1 Like

@gilg welcome to this lovely forum although sorry you’ve had a stroke & been in a coma.

NHS support does seem very hit and miss but glad you found the Stroke Association to be useful.

Best of luck with your recovery journey.

Ann x

Hi Maggers,
Like you I had a Lacunar Infarct which was so mild the Consultant wasn’t sure if at first I had had a stroke. Like yourself I was discharged from the Stroke Unit with no support or information over Christmas last year. I had no support from my GP either. Even though the stroke was mild it has impacted greatly on my life, as a stroke does on all Stroke Survivors. I look fine but inside I am not and the fatigue is a big killer. I did ask to be referred to the Community Neuro Rehab Team who were very helpful if you have one in your area. They came to the house and I regularly saw a Phycologist, Fatigue Management Nurse and Physio. They couldn’t really do anything for the physio but it helped to talk and tell them how I felt. As everyone here will tell you fatigue is very difficult to live with and you do have to listen to your body and rest when necessary. I like everyone here find if I do too much I suffer for days after. Be kind to yourself, it is early days. Also joining a Stroke Club helped me. We have quite a bit of laughter which is a great healer. Sadly we are never going to be the person we were before our Strokes but we can try and come to terms with it and know we are one of the lucky ones - Survivors. That word was difficult for me to start with but I now realise the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about. It is hard that non-stroke survivors don’t always understand how we feel, especially if there are no outward signs. Tell people how you feel and don’t feel bad about it. Look after yourself and go with the flow as they say. There will be good and bad days but everyone here is looking out for everyone else and understands how you feel. Take care and I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Thanks jonty for your no nonsense advice its very empowering for people like me who cant stick up for themselves and need caring people like yourself to feel like someone is on their side. Sorry for late reply Ive been off line still overwhelmed by it all. After waiting for month to see GP he then referred me to Leeds General Infirmary for further investigation into fatigue,brethkessness,chest pain and Ive just received a letter saying they are not accepting his referral. What the hell. Im going to post this now and see if others have had similar experience and what to do.
Meanwhile thanks again jonty :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Maggers it seems to be more & more common that referrals are rejected. Not Stroke related but I had one rejected previously. My GP saw me again & resubmitted a request worded differently & it was then accepted. Go back to your GP & discuss it further. I’d hope they’ve given a reason for rejection.

1 Like

Thanks Mrs5. Makes me feel hopeful. Ive emailed GP. Hope I get a reply soon.

1 Like

Maggers, you are welcome,My nonsense advice comes from my fed up and P$%%ED off state of mind and the inability of the so-called professional people wo are not doing their jobs properly, the information I gave you is from all the brick walls ive been banging my head against for the last 6 years.
I too would not stick up for myself , but you get to a state where you think BO&&$£KS to this , am going to do something about this.
I would like to suggest to you , if your mental health starts r has already started to deteriote, Contact a mental health charity called PLATFORM 1, LOOK on the internet for this group, they have councillors that you can go and see for as long as you want and or need them, they will be able to help you with everything I have said in my previous post to you. a big manly hug to you if you need its.

1 Like

I hear you Z but all these long written complaints when your feeling ill just make matters worse for people like us. Ive done it once with GP surgery at start of my stroke ended up with an apology but has made my fear and upset worse since. Besides which I think they know the NHS has collapsed and fending things off with long complaints procedures. The system is cruel and unkind and because of that the people working in it have to protect themselves by becoming cruel and unkind. and those who still working in the system with any kind of moral and social base are prospective whistleblowers shafted by management.

3 Likes

Disgusting and disgraceful Such a cruel and unkind system as Im only beginning to discover.

Good on you for taping that conversation. Just to let you know if you had gone to prison I would have baked you a cake with a file in :rofl::face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

I will look that group up Jonty thanks. Hope I can become empowered as you one day. At moment I cant even speak to anyone about my experiences still at the uncontrollable crying stage when I try and talk about it Thats why I like this forum.

1 Like

Sorry for late reply Nicky Im still struggling and not even sure Using this site properly as my replys keep popping up all over the place.