2 tbsp oil, ideally olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely grated or crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
400g tin chopped tomatoes
½ tsp dried oregano, basil or mixed herbs
½ tsp caster sugar

Method
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds more.

Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and sugar and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.

Stir in a splash of water to loosen the sauce, if needed, and season to taste.

Recipe Tips
You can use this pasta sauce to suit your taste.
For a spicy pasta sauce, add 1–2 pinches of dried chilli flakes with the tomatoes.
For a creamy tomato sauce, stir in 2–3 tablespoons of single or double cream, crème fraîche, soft cheese or mascarpone at the end of the cooking time and heat through gently.
For a meaty flavour, fry chopped bacon, sausage, chorizo, salami or ham when cooking the onion. Or add at the end if you need to keep some of the sauce vegetarian.

====

We put olive oil in a frying pan and cooked chopped chicken thighs, mushrooms, peppers and some diced cucumber, (left over from salad but tastes good fried) and combined this with our sauce mix and some cooked pasta. Tasty ! !

Picture below.

Plated up and enjoyed yesterday for our evening meal.

4 Likes

You must have known what we are having for tea today :grin::grin: hubby currently cooking a bolognaise sauce to go with pasta for tea :yum::yum: will have to try with chicken next time

1 Like

You probably know, but there is more flavour in the thighs, breast can be very bland.
As for what to throw in, just check out the fridge, cuts of meat, cold veg, bacon, mince, mushrooms, in fact anything tasty looking added to the sauce and pasta makes a quick, easy and economical dish.

1 Like

So not just a baker - Looks great Bobbi :blush:

1 Like

will make it on Friday - have a recipe for mince for tomorrow

1 Like

Well done Bobbi. Nothing like home cooking.

1 Like

That looks delicious @Bobbi! :drooling_face: can’t wait to see what you cook up next! The pastabilities are endless! :partying_face:

2 Likes

@CommunityAdmin I saw what you did there, Alex.
Pastabilities indeed ! !
:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure there will be more . . .

(if you wanted to know, by the way, that sort of pasta is called Fusilli)

Yum yum. I might some for tea. Moira

1 Like

Next stop Master Chef. Look forward to the next recipe. Your mum’s cake recipe was great.

1 Like

@Dottie
Thanks for your kind comment.
I’m glad you enjoyed the cake, it is worth making it a regular.
As you say it is time for another recipe, not sure what yet, but I will come up with something in the not too distant future.