Well that was unexpected!

Two months ago, driving home from work, no warning at all - I had what I now know was a TIA. Luckily a friend was a nurse and recognised the signs so I was blue lighted to hospital. A CT scan on arrival, popped into a bed, given Aspirin, and not much information! I was confused, and scared, and alone except for my phone and being able to text my family.
Discharged the following day despite having a really bad tremor in my right arm/hand, with a letter for my GP which said - possible TIA or Silent Migraine. Outpatient MRI to be booked. On discharge the doctor said the MRI should be within days in order to see anything significant if it was a TIA - the appointment when it came was for exactly one month after the ‘event’, with a follow up Consultant appointment another month later (just this week). I was a little confused (brain fog), incredibly tired, and had a right arm that just did what it wanted by itself - no cups of tea or drinks as I ended up wearing them! My dominant hand - couldn’t write/type/do all the normal things you take for granted every day.
I convinced myself, over the next few weeks after discharge, that it must have just been a silent migraine, even thought I’ve only ever had 1 migraine. I don’t smoke or drink, have a health diet, exercise regularly and at just 57 surely too young for a stroke.
Haha how wrong I was - I finally saw a (very nice) consultant on Monday who showed me my MRI, with evidence of a TIA and also diagnosed me with Post-Stroke Fatigue and a (something) Tremor - my brain fog made me forget what he called the tremor!!
And so, two months after the ‘event’ I have answers, I’m clearly not as invincible as I thought! I was also already taking blood thinners as a result of a DVT in 2019 - which the consultant said was just as well or this could have been worse! How lucky I feel now.
I’m hoping sharing my story will help both me and anyone else who is newly diagnosed. I’m still off work as a lot of my work involves driving to remote places. I am constantly tired, have insomnia often, get brain fog and know the words I want to say - they just won’t come out of my mouth, which can cause hilarious hand gestures and really bad efforts at charades! Thankfully the tremor is no as pronounced as it was - as long as I don’t fill the cup or glass I can now take a drink without wearing half of it.
I was hoping to start studying for a work basede MA in September but thinking I may need to postpone, as a phased return to work is looking likely towards the Autumn, all being well.
I have tried to see the lighter side, to laugh at myself and not take things too seriously. It’s definitely a lesson learned to enjoy life, make the most of every day, and look forward not back!
Good luck to everyone on here as you move through your recoveries, we are all different, so take it at your own pace!
Thanks for taking the time to read! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @DebsC , Welcome, I’m sure you’ll see lots of similar symptoms on here that will hopefully reassure you. Horrible experience but the random stroke god’s have picked you to join the unfortunates on here.
In time you will come to terms with it and get used to Deb’s version 2.

I hope your recovery goes well.
All the best.
Mark

Hi Debs
& welcome to this forum where I’ve met/learned so many things I never knew nor heard from any Doctor/Gp I’m sure you yourself will find this forum a wonderful bunch of people who are happy to share their own experiences which I know enlighten so many of us on here as well as relate to many of the topics up for discussion.
I too had a TIA that has left me on the right side weakness /coordination & fatigue problems & I find it interesting you too have the tremor associated with the TIA my Dr’s call it the incidental-resting tremor .
Welcome again & may your journey towards understanding as well as learning be a fruitful one
:smiley:

Hi, I experienced bad tremors and wearing drinks and throwing cups! I have been taking Clomazepam and it has worked quite well for me. I still don’t trust my arm/hand.

I still have these flaying arms & when out with friends they are wonderful people who cut up my foods & always have my Knork … a knife-fork implement that helps greatly being it’s a heavy implement & never go anywhere without it . I too am on medication to help combat this tremor … I call it the waving at strangers syndrome . That always raises a few eyebrows :joy:

@DebsC welcome to the forum although sorry to hear you’ve had a TIA. Thank you for sharing your story. Take the time you need for your recovery, & I hope you make good progress xx

Hi Jordan, pleased to see you out & a about, enjoying Mini etc. Knork sounds good idea for me , struggle with spoon & knife. Looked on Amazon, as usual ! Mixed reviews. NRS / ABOUT £13 or different? Any advice. Good speaking David.

Hi David
The very Knork you looked @ in Amazon is the one I bought for £13:99 .
Yes I even read the mixed reviews before buying said product & felt it was my views that counted & went ahead & bought 1 since then have another .
Unlike normal forks this Knork has a great weight to it that for my medical problems it having a large/fat handle & a cutting edge like knife I can personally tell you I’ve had no qualms regarding the somewhat negative feedback I’ve read . The cutting edge even cuts my steaks that by the way is perhaps once a month :joy:
So I certainly give my Knork 10/10 . & would recommend this to all that has the Waving hand syndrome :+1:t6:
I really must write another small article on my Mini soon I’ve not for sometime now bragged about my wonderful machine so thank for that David3 & watch this space
B/well & chat again I’m sure
:red_car::+1:t6::red_car:

Hi Jordan, KNORK ,ordered, will update. Thanks David.

So pleased you are on the road to recovery. It was good to read your story.

I get tired, it was so encouraging to read that a Medical Professional put a name to it - stroke fatigue, I like it. I came out of hospital after just one night stay (lucky I know) not being told of any of the possible side effects, like brain fog, tiredness, fear, frustration. But had to go through cognitive tests, touching fingers, walk along a corridor, and told ’ You’ll be fine’. But I wasn’t. I was shocked and scared about having another one and concerned about the unknown journey I was now on.

Follow up was a laugh too. Tried to explain my concerns, abruptly told ‘it was only a mild stroke’. So I gave up asking questions and felt stupid. Her comment on the outstanding MRI (I’ve had 3) was that the report wasn’t available, there’s something there, may be nothing, but could be sinister, but probably not. My brain froze at the word ‘sinister’. Eventually made contact after 4weeks, and her response was, ‘Perhaps it was the wrong word to use’.

Why is it that no one explains anything in normal everyday language and explain what going on and what to expect. I have been very lucky, had a stroke Nurse visit, 4wks after coming home, who explained that I was normal, the tiredness is normal, everything I was asking her was a normal reaction and no question was a stupid one.

I know hospital staff are busy and under pressure, but they seem to have lost something along the way.

1 Like

@SarahG I agree with what you’ve said too. I know they’re busy in hospital but if they only took 5 mins to explain a but more it would save so much time and worry later for all. I found out more at my follow up than I did in hospital. I was told by one Dr that I needed a few more tests after my MRI then when the stroke consultant said I could go home I asked about these tests and he looked at me like I’d gone mad. I wouldn’t have asked if they hadn’t been mentioned as I’d never heard of the tests. I have has some good follow up though so not complaining too much. Xx

2 Likes