Welcome

Hi my name is Jo-ann. i am 47 year old. i had a Ischaemic stroke in July, I lost use of my right side & was non verbal. I spent 6 weeks in hospital. Since coming home I have physiotherapy, Occupational therapy & speech & language therapy. I have since I learnt to walk again & talk again. My hand isn’t working as well but it’s still early day.

2 Likes

@Joprice1 hi Jo-ann and welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had a stroke. Good to hear of the progress you’ve made and hope you continue making good progress. It is early days for you yet so you should be really proud of how far you’ve come.
Best wishes for your continuing recovery.

Ann x

2 Likes

Hi JoAnn --You are making wonderful progress. I also had an ischemic stroke 4 years ago that paralyzed my left side and had many months of therapies. It’s amazing how the brain can relearn/rewire. You are in the early days. If you keep on working at it, you will be amazed at the progress you will make. However, it won’t seem like you’re improving, as it goes slowly. I used to keep a little notebook to keep track of what I did each day or week, so I could realize the changes and improvements. I would increase my steps every few days and eventually went from not walking at all to walking a mile a day–from walking with a limp to walking normally. I would exercise my “weak” hand at night while I watched TV and made myself do as much as I could with that hand/arm, like eating, reaching, etc, to strengthen it. Be patient with yourself. It takes time. You’ll feel tired. It’s normal. Never give up. We here for you if you have questions or to talk talk. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Thankyou very much x

Well done you have done amazing. Thankyou so much

Thankyou very much Ann x

it does get better each day Jo-ann

1 Like