WATCHING on television

definately a good watch and just as I am off to holiday in Tenerife. I KEEP LISTENING FOR THE GUNFIRE TO START AND HAVE CHECKED FOR GOOD HIDING PLACES.

2 Likes

I too have been watching the fourth series of Ghosts. I am glad they have continued. After that, I will watch Professor T. There is a new season of Father Brown to premiere in January 2023, so will watch that. I like to view historical documentaries, wildlife programmes, gentle comedies, mild detective shows (limited goriness and no excessive gun use). I also re-watch many times a lot of completed series from the past, my favourite being One Foot in the Grave. I like some childrenā€™s programs like Catweazle, Worzel Gummidge (old and new), and I quite enjoy the Horrible Histories episodes.

1 Like

Loved Catweazle and Wurzel Gummidge with Jon Pertwee (my favourite Dr Who).

I also canā€™t resist the repeats of the original Upstairs Downstairs, another one from when I was a kid. Apparently I cried when the original series ended šŸ„²

I recently watched the White Queen and The White Princess. Not sure how historically accurate there are but a good watch.

2 Likes

Aye, Pertwee was my favourite too. I asked my partner for an Inverness cape for Christmas but, unfortunately, she looked at the price tags and replied, ā€œYou must be jokingā€.

1 Like

Just finished watching Guilt and The Dry, both quite good. I rather enjoyed Guilt, second series was challenging in so far as it gets involved with characters having multiple motivations, and the subplots need a fair amount of dot joining to keep up, but it was well written and well acted.

I use Britbox for my viewing, itā€™s one of the cheapest streaming services and has the advantage of being able to watch new episodes of programmes that havenā€™t been released on BBC iPlayer, plus it has all the classic television that I have enjoyed over the years. I just finished watching, a few months ago, all The Goodies episodes again.

Jon Pertwee was my favourite Doctor too - I loved the stories with the Brigadeer and apparently many of them were filmed in the chalk quarries near where I used to live.

Thank you @DDMH for reminding me about New Tricks. My fatigue has got much better and I no longer need a day time rest, but I do still appreciate going to bed much earlier than before and an episode of New Tricks in a warm bed before sleep is just the ticket

1 Like

Hi @FionaB1

Iā€™d forgotten about the Brigadier! I sneaked a look at the latest episode at the weekend in which a few of the old Doctors made guest appearances, hoping Jonā€™s son Sean Pertwee might take a turn in the part but sadly he didnā€™t :sparkles:

1 Like

Iā€™m not really one for goth and gore, but I do like Tim Burton, and I recently finished watching Wednesday on Netflix which was well written and had a superb cast, not to mention, the cinematography which can be so lacking in television at times. I guess because Tim Burton directed the first four episodes, he brought his signature cinematic style to the small screen, and used stop-motion as opposed to CGI.

I shall pitch in again also with Click and Collect (2018) Christmas film with Stephen Merchant, not the most original of stories but a well written, gentle comedy with a festive theme. Itā€™s free on Amazon.

Diane Morgan
Have you come across this name ? ? - you need to.

Look on BBC iPlayer
Search her name or Cunk, a number of episodes available only for another three weeks. Grab her before she goes, you wonā€™t regret it. Even worth a repeat view.
Philomena Cunk, her name will stay with you.
Also Mandy
. . . and Christmas special.

a serious recommendation

donā€™t miss - she is free

Look at Cunk on Earth

1 Like

Sheā€™s also in Motherland, please try it if you havenā€™t already. Best comedy on TV for ages.

Three series on iplayer and thereā€™s a Christmas special on 23 Dec.

1 Like

My 2023 Winter viewing is ā€¦ Father Brown, Death in Paradise, The Repair Shop, and I am looking forward to the 2023 season of Ghosts. The first film I plan to watch in 2023 will be An American Pickle as I havenā€™t seen it yet.

1 Like

Wot no Happy Valley?

Gosh no, far too dramatic for me. Iā€™m a wimp, my partner watches Casualty, but I struggle with the realism. I tend to exist in a silly, make-believe world :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never been able to watch sports on telly, but am pleased that Robot Wars is back. Itā€™s the only sports programme I enjoy. Have just watched the first episode of the recent event, UK versus the Rest of the World. Some amusing battles, and the UK are doing very well.

1 Like

I agree about sport in general and Robot Wars in particular.
I reckon the Red Bull soap box races are also an amusing watch every now and again.
Inventive folly rules!!
:steam_locomotive: :teapot: :beers:

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen this whacky race, will have to keep my eye out for it. :+1::grinning:

@Rups
check out Dave on Freeview
look for
Red Bull Soapbox.
Thereā€™s a lot of it about.

1 Like

Have nearly finished the whole run of New Tricks - sad eh. What shall I try next. Will be watching Casualty with my daughter and also have done Downton and Call the Midwife. Need a new run of a gentleish, not too complicated, formulaic series. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

New tricks was excellent, and I too have watched it from beginning to end. I really enjoyed Professor T, not sure if there is a new series, it features Ben Miller as a professor of criminology. Itā€™s an ITV programme, also available on Amazon and Britbox.