WATCHING on television

We just watched the first gripping episode of a three part drama set in a family holiday resort cut off on an island paradise.
At the beginning we got to know the members of one of the groups staying there.
Trouble soon reared its ugly head in the shape of two gun-men intent on killing as many as they could encounter.
Holidaymakers, both adults and children, workers at the resort too, were all targets.
At the end of episode one the killing was still continuing, though an effort to deal with it was beginning. People were fleeing in different directions. Help could only come from the mainland and would take hours to arrive.
We will watch another episode now. It is all available on BBC iPlayer:

CROSSFIRE

If you have any comments, or want to tell us what you have been watching, please use this thread, Iā€™m sure it will make an interesting read.

3 Likes

ā€œItā€™s Always Sunny in Philadelphiaā€ on Netflix is an absolute classic comedy (though may not be to everyoneā€™s taste).

2 Likes

Does anyone feel odd watching some kinds of TV during the daytime? I always feel not quite right watching drama during the day. Iā€™ve no idea why :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Iā€™m slightly with you when it comes to films (especially action movies) I definitely prefer to watch them in the evening, ideally with a beer or glass of wine. :beer::wine_glass:

2 Likes

Schitts creek was funny

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been enjoying repeats of series that Iā€™ve seen before like Downton, New Tricks, Unforgotten as well as Coronation Street and even Married at First Sight!

Living alone and not being at work at the present time, these programmes with familiar characters, or the same contestants night after night, are maybe my substitute for the (hopefully temporary) loss of human contact?

This forum also helps. I really look forward to seeing new messages. :pray:

2 Likes

Hi I watched the three episodes and quite enjoyed them even though it seemed quite improbable at times. It was escapism though after the emotional time of the last week. Lilian

2 Likes

@l_platt Iā€™ve seen all three too now. As you say it was escapism. I really appreciate distractions that are not too demanding. Before my stroke I enjoyed an active life. Now day to day humdrum inactivity is far harder to deal with than any amount of stressful challenge. I could always find myself something to do, but the limitations of a stroke have created a situation where the challenge is to find something inspiring within my now stunted ability range.
So watching a bit of telly that takes one out of the everyday is for me very desirable.

A year or two ago I went in to pay for a fill of petrol at a motorway services. The guy behind the counter was totally bowled over. He was convinced I was a star in an American tv series. I tried to convince him otherwise and asked who was this star and what was the show? He thought I was the actor who played Walter White in the very successful series ā€˜Breaking Badā€™. Well I donā€™t know about that but since my stroke we have binge watched the whole thing from beginning to end on Netflix. I quite enjoyed it, as did my wife. It is a story about a good guy turned bad, he used his skills as a chemist to manufacture Methamphetamine and sank into the depths of gang warfare. There are a number of unforgettable characters in the story amongst whom there is one wheelchair bound stroke survivor who was a gang boss, a particularly nasty individual.

But I will say no more, if you have time to kill search for Breaking Bad on Netflix, it will keep you occupied for a while.

2 Likes

Flipping heck you lot, I use to watched a lot before but now only on rare occasions, hardly twice a week for 1 hour or so.Able to read a bit and potter and do a few chores .Was told tonight new series of ā€˜Ghostā€™s starting. That ticked all boxes for me and was my highlight of week. Use to enjoy some sport and historical programs countryside/ wildlife and classic comedy but have lost the desire to view at present unless itā€™s special, music helped me for first few months but canā€™t motivate myself to listen now. Yes itā€™s a strange world we find ourselves in. But look forward to reading your postings. Thanks Bobi a good topic

4 Likes

Breaking Bad and Better call Saul are two of the greatest series of all time, in my opinion.

If you like those then I would encourage you to watch The Ozarks.

3 Likes

For me itā€™s all things to do with Natural history & I like Iā€™m sure with many of the members on this site know/heard of David Attenborough sorry thatā€™s Sir David Attenborough a title so richly deserved
His new series Frozen Planet II is for me like all his other well documented series spanning many decades is a televisual feast . With the now technology of Cameraā€™s be it night vision/drone footage, underwater , slow motion for me watching the results of these amazing camera operators along with that wonderful narrative knowledgeable voice of Sir David itā€™s a must must must for me

4 Likes

Thanks @Ingo66 Iā€™ll check that out. (Ozark)

Yes, @Jordan , David is an amazing character and as with others, I admire his dedication and his skills as a presenter. They definitely picked the right man for the job. He was so lucky to have been able to travel and to experience that variety of locations and creatures. We are so lucky to have been able to share in all this through television.

@Pds I really liked Ghosts too. Iā€™m glad it has returned. Missed last nightā€™s episode, but will catch it on iPlayer

1 Like

Hi @Bobbi and @l_platt when you both said youā€™d watched three episodes I thought you were talking about Married at First Sight, especially after the comment about it seeming ā€œimprobable at timesā€ then I realised you were referring to Crossfire! :joy:

2 Likes

I will certainly watch The Ozarks. I hope it is as good as the other two mentioned. Thank you. Lilian

2 Likes

@l_platt Just watched first episode of Ozark. It gets off to a very slow start, but I suppose you need intro to the background. With the sort of reviews it got I canā€™t imagine it stays at that pace.

@Loshy Youā€™ll find all episodes of Ghosts on iPlayer including the most recent series, or watch on Friday nights just before 9pm on BBC1.
Iā€™ll add Good Girls to our list, thanks Loshy.

@DDMH No worries. The Internet is a horrendous place for communication. It is too easy to misunderstand, mis-hear. A conversation can easily turn into two, or more people, talking about entirely different subjects but somehow think what they are saying is being understood and responded to in a reasonable manner. The whole thing can become completely disjointed and impossible to put back in any sort of order.
Beware the entropy of chaos and miscommunication between humans here, or embrace it, enjoy and laugh along. :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Loshy I read and loved the books more than 50 years ago. Iā€™ve seen none of it rendered to screen. Donā€™t think I have access to the channels where it is available, but Iā€™m sure others would like to know where.

I found it funny to think of you and @l_platt watching Married at First Sight :joy: I think Iā€™m the only one who has a trash TV guilty habit

2 Likes

Hi .I watch all kinds of rubbish on tv at times. Dinner date is one . I find my other half loves to watch snooker which makes me fall asleep! Football has a similar effect. Lilian

1 Like

Excellent, glad Iā€™m not the only one! :+1:

2 Likes

@Bobbi , correct, it is a little slow to get going but believe me once it does it gets really tense and carries it on through all seasons!

I too love ghosts, it is great.

1 Like