Want to see what's going on inside your stroke brain

These are the neurons in your head trying to rebuild connections and whilst they’re doing that, they’re exhausting you and require lots of sleep and nutrients to fuel the that recovery process. Why do you think babies sleep so much, feed so often, get cranky and cry a lot…because their whole brain is newly growing and developing.

Here’s a single brain cell looking for a connection

And here’s one ‘finding that connection’

Plenty of rest aids recovery, vital even, in the first 3mths so don’t even try to fight it.

13 Likes

This is very helpful. To see what is going on inside our brain is really helpful thankyou. Mine was left side mca affecting my right arm and leg

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m glad it’s a help to you. I’m no expert, I just have a very analytical mind and love to dissect it :laughing: Guess it runs in the family as my mother was a psychiatric nurse and my daughter is studying psychology at university so she helps me a lot. Keeps me rational and well within the here and now :smile:

My stroke was similar to yours, I’m now just over 2yrs post stroke :smile:
It does get easier! There’s no use getting cross with yourself, it is what it is and you just need to be patient, time heels and you need at least a year. It’s just the same for a replaced hip or broken ankle and I should know as I’ve both :blush: It can’t be rushed no matter how hard you try, so be kind to yourself and just go with it, one step at a time. I found the sooner I relaxed into it and learnt to accept, the easier it all became.

And before I knew it, it’s 2 years on and I’m off to the gym every other day or out hiking or running errands and getting on with life again. That doesn’t mean to say I have no residual effects from stroke, I just consider myself a work in progress :wink:

8 Likes

Aye, and when you think about the billions of cells and the different types, glia &c. It’s no wonder there is a lot to reorder and reorganise after the devastation of stroke. If we break an ankle, we can physically rest it and it does take a long time to heal, not so easy with the brain as it’s functions are always being activated, even when sleeping. :grinning:

2 Likes

Precisely @Rups, the brain never gets time off…even for good behaviour :rofl:

There’s something like 86 billion brain cell in our head. So I’ll take an uneducated guess by saying a fifth, maybe less, maybe more have been damaged or disrupted in some way or another as a result of our stroke.

Now I know how some like to shout and complain about the incompetencies of our NHS on here but even the neuroscientists don’t know nearly enough about what is going inside our heads. I don’t know how that footage up there was taken, but I’ll hazard a guess it wasn’t routine hospital procedure on a stroke patient :smirk:
But hopefully one day they will.

3 Likes

Yes Loshy you are right! Some of it is due to incompetency, you get that in walks of life. I think half our lives must be are learnt through trial and error. There’s incompetency in all of us, the flaw of nature I suppose.

1 Like

Talk about back peddling :dizzy_face: Did you not call her out on it there and then, in some instances it better to strike while the irons hot, as they say. But then that’s not so easy with screaming migraines is it. Was that her trial and error, wonder if you she ever learnt from it :thinking:

:dizzy_face:My eyebrows are raised so high I think they’re on the back of my head now :smiling_face:
There’s incompetence but then there’s gross negligence; I hope you’re taking this further! They’re the ones who do give the NHS a bad name!

2 Likes

I think you might have read that wrong, think that was what she felt they were all telling her :wink:

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I should never worry Loshy, I’ve done it myself a time or three :laughing:

That’s always likely to happen on forums without the voice or facial expression.

1 Like

Thanks for this very useful analogy, @EmeraldEyes. Helpful to see it in this light. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow hope your healing now

3 Likes

Ive recently gone back to work but fatigue is so hard to deal with so tired all the time. 10 months post stroke now. Nothing feels easier as leg and fingers appear to be getting stiffer. Problem for me is people keep telling me its in my head. Ive gone from 100mg of pregalin to 400mg so if im getting better why is my medication getting higher. A little rant over sorry :disappointed: x

2 Likes

It does Jane you feel so alone all the time as my friends and family tell me im getting better all the time. Its the after effects no one explains to you. Such as why are my fingers 10 months later suddenly feeling numb why has this slight tremor appeared that wasnt there after my stroke. No one wants to listen as they think “oh here go whats wrong now”. I drift in and out of here as all i seem to do is rant lol. Im a happy person not like i was but im smiling all the same i just want to know what it is im feeling and why. Take care x

2 Likes

I took the anti depressents Lorraine. I didnt want to but felt i needed something as my mood deepened badly and i took them more for my family then myself. They worked initially and my mood was more supressed then lifted but i felt better. They are trying me on a new one now which im taking tomorrow whjch is meant to be good with Neurological pain as well as being a antidepressant we shall see.

3 Likes

I think thats the one they are trying me on Duloxetine. I am on 400mg of pregabalin at the moment aswell but not sure if im getting any benefit from it and walking is getting a little more difficult with left foot drop happening more and more. There are so many things to deal with i probably just need to accept this is as good as it gets. Trying to keep positive and sending you positive thoughts Lorriane. X

3 Likes

Loshy… :clap:t2: :clap:t2:
finally someone who like me find’s negligence within the system!
especially after the Global pandemic,
far to many ego’s within a broken system imo :100:

1 Like

Loshy.
I was also told during a phone consultation I was suffering with maybe heat stress leading to a migraine!(don’t suffer headaches tbh)
advised to take paracetamol but no relief from the relentless pounding front lobe pain,
1 week later I experienced my 1st attack taken to A&E numerous tests carried out etc then discharged more pain killers and aspirin.
the following day full on attack rushed to A&E only to be told I had a suspected TIA,
but more importantly I was informed id caused serious damage to my stomach lining due to excessive paracetamol intake ie I was overdosing!
my oxygen levels were very low and BP.
I never had any support leading up to my Stroke clinic appointment I felt completely confused and vulnerable scared to sleep thinking I wouldn’t wake up!
I really could go on but like you I’m hear because I fought this awful situation and with the help of my love ones and the support of genuine caring individuals (friends) I’m on the road to recovery and enjoying being a Grandad if you get my jist :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Exactly! I had the same ,firstly saying I had a Migraine aura, even though I tried to explain that I had migraines years ago and this was totally different . I know my body ! The qualified training doctors just couldn’t come to a diagnosis , one doctor said "you have had a stroke "and then another saying “we are not sure ?” confusion@ Derriford hospital .com
Although the 1st scan they said it was clear . 2 days later when my speech, feelings to my left arm /leg ,my memory not improvingr, my perpheral sight was getting worse ! and the Burning in back of my head was not improving , even Ora morph wasn’t helping, so so much pain . . It took an Contractor Nurse/ ex Paramedic who to pushed the doctors for an MRI . Yup and sure enough there were clots left cerebellar hemispere, right parieto-cciptal sulcus and right cerebellum. So therefore the Doctor eventually admitted I had a stroke !! I just wander how they can make so many mistakes. ? I am only 6 and 1/2 months post stroke and still progressing !
Oh ! and the slight chest infection was Bi-lateral PE’s .

2 Likes

That’s exactly what the government wants for us to have no faith in the nhs so they can privatise it !!! that’s why they are going to run it down!!! The nhs was built for the people through good faith and good people!!! It’s got the best reputation around the world!!! but
Johnson and his group of oligarchs want it privatised because they belong to a cult that hates us !!!