Walking

Walkingdistance.

Had an appointment with the nurse to check blood pressure and get a flu jab.

Normally pushed in by wheel chair, but decided my wife had done enough pushing my bulkup slope s, so I took the direct route up 9 steps and 1000 yards to the consultation room.
Wel made itand am glad to be home

7 Likes

@mrfrederickson thats great to hear. There’ll be no stopping you soon. :man_walking::man_walking:

2 Likes

If only it wore me out.
I was talking to a fellow SS and asked himwhen he started walking properly, he replied it just became more natural, not a stop start but a phased change.

Good advice I thought :thinking:

2 Likes

Well done @mrfrederickson I’m sure you will be seeking out more challenges soon. Keep us posted with your progress.

2 Likes

Yes that’s good advice. These things usually are a gradual change sometimes to the point where we don’t really notice the change until one day we just notice we’re a lot better at something. You’re making progress, even if it is tiring, & I’m sure you’ll continue to progress. Your Determination will help you loads.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words determination is all I have left until my body returns to normal operation it does feel like I’m getting there slowly next step is to master stick free at home, then onwards to independence

3 Likes

Mr.Frederickson–Walking does wear you out. It takes a long time to build up that stamina, and you’ll feel worn out all the time doing it. But the more you do, the longer you can go. Eventually you can do more and not be so exhausted. Good for you for trying!!

1 Like

Morning @mrfrederickson. So pleased to hear you feel you are making progress. Don’t be afraid of using a stick, I too started going without at home first because there was often bits of furniture to reach out for. I still use a walking pole when tired or on uneven ground as it gives me confidence against balance issues. A fall is not worth it, not only in terms of physical damage but to confidence also. Julia x

1 Like

Well done you! I think quite often we can do a lot more than we think, but the fear of falling holds us back. I actually walked up a hill on pretty uneven ground without the use of a stick. I still had my stick with me but resisted using it.

1 Like

Well done, I can feel your accomplishment, its these small steps that end in full recovery but it may take time. Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter one day I will walk with ease and there will be great joy in that after a long period of disability

3 Likes

Excellent stuff - keep going.

Totally agree we are capable of more than we know.
I am always pushing myself out of my comfort level, this goes a long way to help my progress :flushed:

1 Like

Congratulations.i am with you,just trying to get going. I sometimes feel I. Am not progressing keep on keeping on. I am sure you will succeed , don’t be downhearted im sure many people understand how you feel and wish you well. Having a stroke is a mind blowing experience. I think the best advice I’ve had to date is to be kind to yourself. It’s a hard road to travel but good luck to you. All good wishes. Anne

1 Like

Thanks Anne I am too hard on myself the ground hog day that is my life leaving very little joy in my world since the stroke

Thank you to all those who have contributed to this thread. It is useful and encouraging reading for those of us who are just taking our first steps.

Yesterday I did my longest ever unassisted walk. My wife who is my carer, followed me rather unwillingly and very nervously, pushing my rollator as I slowly and shakily walked back from the kitchen to my bed, just down the hallway. I was triumphant, she was relieved that the adventure passed without incident. I’ve been sternly warned,by she who must be obeyed, not to try doing this on my own.

Anyway thanks again to you lot on here for giving me the motivation to attempt this ‘small step for mankind’.

Keep on keepin’ on

:smiley: :walking_man:

5 Likes

Well done @Bobbi great to think of you walking :pray:

1 Like

A great achievement Bobi been following your texts since you were the new kid on block.I remember punching air and yelling with joy when I succeeded in getting over the first of my hurdles. I’m sure I’m like many readers on this wonderful Forum , in that I feel real pleasure when I read positive posts. Let us know of further progress. Paul

4 Likes

@Bobbi thats fantastic. I think you should listen to your wife for now at least until you are steadier. It’ll come. You’re doing so well & your determination is a credit to you.
We all share in your joy at your achievements xx

4 Likes

As for determination and joy, I took a look over that edge and it is a horribly long way down. I think I’d rather stay here, a bit vague and slightly simple, sometimes even a bit weepy once in a while.
:smiling_face_with_tear:

Really though, the support we get and give on this forum is worth far more than gold.

as always . . .

Keep on keepin’ on

:grinning:

or, for those of us who can walk . . .

Plod on !

:walking_man:

3 Likes