Walking practice

I like to measure my daily walks my usual circuit is lounge to kitchen an back 4 times slowly building up to 6 today and feeling the fatigue and left foot pain, saw a lady I know in the super market walking with a stick she had a stroke some years ago, I did feel envious of her mobility when mine is so awful. Wonder how long before I can skip like a lamb

2 Likes

@mrfrederickson not wishing to sound sorry for myself, let me tell you that I am a long way off walking of any sort. I can rise to a standing position but the only move I can make from that is to sit back down again. I do hope to ‘skip like a lamb’ eventually though.

As far as I understand it, progress is made from repetition. You are going to have to keep ‘rinsing and repeating’.

. . . but I bet you that woman with the stick was looking at the able-bodied around her with the same envious glance that you gave her.

That look is what drives us on.
You must stand by the motto of us all, ‘Potentially I can and actually I will’.

3 Likes

Good mantra and I do repeat it every day plus if my left boot is on with the orthotics drop foot

I do feel bad about envying walking peopl, just can’t help it, oni day soon I’ll crack it, it’s only early days at17 momths

2 Likes

Maybe ‘envy’ is the wrong word. I’m sure what we are referring to is not a sin, not a negative thing. It has more to do with seeing something as a model to which we can aspire, hoping it to be something that we can achieve with some effort in a very positive way.
Motivation plays a big role in recovery too and maintaining the will to ‘improve’ also takes energy and determination. Stroke sufferers learn early on that small changes at times have to be encouragement enough.
Its early days for me, I’m just 3 months into the process and have much to learn. The stuff written here on this Forum by people in the same boat is a great help and an inspiration at a time when it is easy to slide into a morbid sense of failure.
Thankyou to those of you taking part here, your efforts really are worth the energy expended.
Keep on keepin’ on, Bob

2 Likes

Absolutely agree the short time I have been on the forum I have gained knowledge motivation and an insight as to the patient focus needed to recover into s n acceptable state.i know the level o want to achieve and every day move better and for longereven made my dear wife the second cup of tea on the year since my stroke do well chufed.

Good luck to everyone keep on trucking we will all get there sooner or later.

2 Likes

Please remember it all takes time and, as Bobbi says, a lot of repetitive exercise. When I first came home, I was terrified to go outside. I conquered this by starting off just standing outside and then coming in. When I first began walking my first target was the house next door and back again. Then I added a house each day until I could walk to the end of the street and back again. After that I ventured round the corner. We have twelve houses in our cul de sac so that took 12 days.

My first walk round a supermarket was frightening too. Shoppers who are fit and busy scarcely see you and sometimes want you to give way rather than them. I remember being in one shop resting for a moment when a woman wanting to pass me made a noise of exasperation. I said to her, you only have to say excuse me.

I think I’m saying, yes, we can be envious of others, but, with determination and exercise, we can improve. It’s as well to remember that one step more than yesterday is an improvement. A woman at my exercise class yesterday came up to me to say how much I’ve improved in the last four years compared to the state I first arrived in. That made my day.

2 Likes

Following that philosophy I have improved a 40%incteade in walking distance and doubled my yes making delivery since the stroke.result

1 Like

Hi I completely agree with you, since my stroke in 2017, I have become obsessed with watching people walk and how easy they make it look. Post stroke it takes such a lot of concentration just to make the smallest of movements. I recently had lunch with a friend who said that I seemed more confident and agile than when she last saw me, it made my day. Keep up the good work everyone.
Regards Sue

1 Like

Exactly. May the good work continue.

Thanks Sue I keep telling people I am having a big party when I reach the new normal I like so currently s big list

1 Like

Yes the stories of persistent achievement and it gives us all a view of what is achievable, I am now walking to the loo stick free to to increase the reptition and improve.

I watched my fellow stroke survivors in hospital walking and was distressed by my lack of progress but didn’t realise that their strokes were not as severe as mine, nearly fully there but fine motor skills of foot and ankle will see it done, keep on going everyone we all try so hard if there is a god we will see this to a good conclusion.

1 Like

I felt the same in hospital. Other SS were walking yet I was unable to sit without being overcome with fatigue. I spent 3 months in hospital and rehab. Returning home April 20th in a wheelchair last year. The biggest shock was not being able to walk our dog in the countryside. Months on… my mobility is improving but not how I had imagined but I keep trying. I know when I am tired so rest is important and the fatigue becomes less and less. Keep going everyone, we will get there! Confidence is everything :slight_smile: Annie

1 Like

Thanks Annie I understand your situation I have not walked either of our dogs for what seems like an age it all falls to my wife so as I improve I am hoping to get out with them and my wife one of my biggest regrets is the confinement stroke places on one cannot walk cannot drive cannot use my game console, need two arms , so life as I knew it ended in that moment in January 3021 forever saddened by thi life challenge but wil persevere until I reach a successful operating state.:pensive:

1 Like

Yes with practice and and on going strength technology we will all getbetter

1 Like

Yes but at an almost immeasurable rate as to appear on existent sadly

1 Like

Yes some make fast improvement some not so fast sadly with kind regards des

1 Like

I was wondering how you are a few months on with walking? Mine is very slow!

1 Like

When I first posted on this thread I was home, three months into recovery and very little to show for it. I didn’t give myself much hope of improvement and was wheelchair and house bound without any ability to walk. I approached and passed the ‘Magic’ four month stage by which time most of the improvement possible was supposed to have occurred . . . and it hadn’t.

It was a depressing situation which I refused to acknowledge. I came on this Forum and said my piece on a regular basis. I hoped but did not imagine much could happen.

Thing is, I turned standing on the spot to standing, picking up my dressing gown and pulling it on even using my ‘weak’ right hand and arm to help achieve this. I began to feel better about things.

Then one morning I said to my wife who had come in to look at me ‘Watch this!’. My dressing gown was over the back of the commode a few steps away. I would normally have let her pass it to me. This time I got out of bed, stood up and took a few wobbly steps, picking up the gown, then stood still as I put it on. I could hear the universe launching a huge round of applause. My Mrs had a little smile on her face and I felt like a king.

There is a little more to this tale but I must break here, just to say thanks to you lot. The stories and experiences of the folks who write here have been an inspiration, a lesson, and a source of hope. This thread in particular has great personal meaning.

Anyway must go, take care you lot and . . .

keep on keepin’ on. :smiley:

I read this thread out to my Mrs and had a total emotional collapse, alternating between tears and uncontrolled laughter. I don’t know what the neighbours must think. I think I am lucky to be married to such a special lady.

5 Likes

So is mine, breaking in some new boots withvelcroto aid my independence

1 Like

That’s great that you have some new boots. I seem to have endless problems with footwear getting my right foot to fit. The toes don’t want to flatten out so special shoes are the only option. I don’t have foot drop but spacitity or high tone so my toes curl!