Walk the walk, talk the talk

I’ve not forgotten my sourdough writings and after some research I’m hoping to be able to post up a working method soon.

1 Like

@Bobbi I hope you’re not too sore after your tumble. Bet it felt good when you got up much easier though. I wouldn’t recommend throwing yourself on the floor to try getting up though :grin:
Hope you have a less adventurous weekend. Take care.

1 Like

I think I’m going to have to give myself a little time to get better before anything else.

keep on keepin’ on

1 Like

I always like to say ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day…’

1 Like

I’m in my eighth year of recovery and can walk nowadays unassisted. There is always the background fear of not coping so I carry three sticks in the boot of the car. Number one is a good old metal walking stick with adjustable height. It was my mothers and has stayed in the family. I only use it if I am going to be surrounded by people as in a market. It does two things, one it gives me confidence and secondly it lets others know I’m not that steady! The second is a shooting stick, this is handy if I’m going to be in rough terrain. The third is a Matinee Stick which has a seat folded into it, this I take if I’m going to any open air situation where I may have need to sit down. It is more clumsy than the others to use as a walking stick but ideal in some conditions.
Don’t think I’m rich having three sticks, One, as I said I inherited, the shooting stick I’ve always desired and bought one second had many years ago. The matinee stick was a birthday gift from my wife!
Deigh

1 Like

@Deigh It is heartening to hear you can get around unassisted nowadays. I’m in my first months of recovery, casting around for direction and not sure of the possibilities.

In the same way that I viewed the rollator I have been wondering about a walking stick. I know by experience that the rollator was a good buy. My stamina and strength have increased through the exercise that it has encouraged, even if only about the house.

I think I might plump for some sort of walking stick, I can see how it could be useful in a number of situations.
[I think it would be essential, for a start, to have a sword stick, to be used at will against anyone unsympathetic to my plight as a stroke survivor. I also think a bicycle bell could need to be fitted so I could warn when I need space to ‘get through’ or to, indeed, summon help when I require immediate assistance from a nearby ‘whole’ person. No doubt other modifications will come to mind. ] :innocent:
Yes, I almost certainly will be looking around for a stick ! !

Keep on keepin’ on, regardless

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I see they do a shooting stick with an inbuilt umbrella . . .

Maybe a back pack with means to carry an assortment of sticks for different occasions?
Or how about a sort of golf/walking stick trolley, with a caddy to push it around and give pertinent advice on appropriate occasions?

1 Like

Two interesting ones I have seen on eBay were Victorian, one was a cane with a spyglass brass telescope as the handle, the other was a Derby handle that twisted off and inside was a mini flask for brandy or whiskey.

3 Likes

Hi Bob

Glad you are not too hurt. I was wondering if you were ok as you and Hilary have not been on the zooms.

I still can’t get out the front but I am on the list for them to install a new higher deeper step out front.

OT’s were here today. The bath lift won’t work out so they are applying for a walk in shower. hopefully the landlord will approve.

Be safe Bob.

1 Like

@a.clare71 thanks for the good wishes.

Good luck with the shower. If I could choose I think that would be the better option though years ago I liked nothing better than a long soak in the bath.

Yes, I have been sore and a bit crotchety, though it is no-one’s fault but my own. I’m slowly returning to a state I wouldn’t call normal. I waved goodby to normal, but life goes on.

I should make an effort to get back to the Zoom calls, Hilary enjoys them too.

I’m sure you can’t wait to get outside once your step is fixed. You need to ‘put your scarf on’ it is definitely getting cooler now.

Hi Bob

This is our new normal! :grinning: House is still a mess but at least I am not paying for a storage unit anymore. Slowly slowly catch the monkey.

Yes, need to practice walking as it suffering cos I can’t get out. My physio has given me new exercises which should help as my left foot is out of line (points outwards).

I hope the shower goes through. Time will tell.

My short term memory is awful - I keep going into a room and can’t remember what for!

Hope to see guys soon.

I am off to put another fleece on, it is cool.

Take it easy

Anne

1 Like

Without being negative about Rome wasn’t built in a day tell me how to do it with no bricks I need tools to make the bricks first but there not available to me joe

1 Like

There is a saying that when the time is right it will all fall together or in my case, more likely it will all fall over.

1 Like

Well, still very sore after my fall a fortnight ago but managing to keep on keepin’ on.
I don’t do much ‘real walking’ only a few steps, but making progress I believe.

My rollator is my main source of mobility. It definitely was a good buy.
I am still only moving about the house, but it is enabling me to slowly build stamina and strength. I tire very quickly but using it as a seat lets me take a break when needed.

That mobility is useful. It is the middle of the night, but I was able to get out to the kitchen. I’m back here now in front of my laptop with a cup of coffee and a slice of toast with honey. There’s nowt to grumble about there.

I watch my feet and legs as I rollate around. I tend to drag and not lift properly when I’m tired. I can to some extent control the quality of my step. I lift the foot and swing it forward trying to keep it in a straight line. The results are variable and a certain amount of concentration is needed.

The process is very far from automatic, but I have hopes that as I persist my brain, my foot, whatever will re-learn the routine. Watching my ‘good foot and leg’ I marvel at how they just know what to do and how. As I look I try to pick up their secrets so I can maybe transfer them to the other.

We can only struggle as best we may to somehow progress out of this predicament.
Acceptance is not an option, but rest is permissable, necessary when needed.

Keep on keepin’ on.

:smiley:

1 Like

When I look back to the first nine months of recovery, I had a stool next to the oven, a stool next to the sink, and a rest chair just outside the kitchen. I’d need to sit while stirring food, sit while doing dishes, and go and rest every time fatigue drained me. My hypometria was so acute that it would take about two minutes to get from one side of our small kitchen to the other.

I would have to start an evening meal at four-thirty to reach the deadline of six-thirty, and I would still only be ready by seven. I still get fatigued but, as an example, last night I made a Laksa from scratch for the family. Started at seven and it was ready by eight. Late, but it only took me an hour, as opposed to two and a half hours.

We progress, albeit, rather sluggishly. We learn a lot along the way though. It appears you are pushing through with your progress, which is marvellous news.

3 Likes

@Bobbi hope your aches & pains clear up soon.
youre doing really well & your determination will ensure you progress further.
One of the things that was me tioned to me was to video my walking so I can see what my good leg is doing in the hope I can replicate with my gammy leg. I just used my phone to video & it was certainly interesting to watch.
I still cant lift my left foot off the floor but definitely have a better walking style.
It never fails to amaze me how amazing the body is & how we take so much of it for granted until it doesnt work properly.

1 Like

I’ll admit my ignorance, but as ever I did what I could to find out more. @Rups Laksa sounds like an interesting dish and appropriate as things get colder I guess.
I used to enjoy putting together a meal but now my wife has taken over. She prefers me out of our tiny kitchen, not getting under her feet. I was much the same preferring to be left alone when I was in full flow. I do a bit, she helps, but it isn’t like it used to be.

After 4 months out of hospital I was descending into a very dark, negative state. From what I had heard those first months were when most recuperation would occur and after that there wouldn’t be much change.
Well after those months I was bed and wheelchair bound, as I was when I left hospital. My life was very limited and it sounded like that was to be as far as I could go.

I’m still limited, housebound and very much in need of improvement. I decided I wouldn’t succumb to the darkness and if help wasn’t to be had I would ignore the ‘good advice’ not to venture out of my wheelchair and see how far I could get despite warnings and lack of any real assistance or guidance.

To cut a long story short I began to realise this is a long process, but advances can definitely be made. Others on this forum talking of their experiences have inspired me, leading me to believe it is worth making efforts and taking risks. The results are small but important and if nothing else all this exertion drives away the darkness, leaving it much easier to see where one is.

I’ll end this on a counterpoint, as valuable as pushing on is, it is equally important to be able to take a break and let it all just float on past

So, wisdom session over, it is as important to have fun and play too.

Keep on keepin’ on.

Thanks to all those who have inspired and encouraged, don’t know where I’d be without you.

4 Likes

Hi just love your optimism keep it up good lad

1 Like

:icecream:
I do like a nice ice cream.
We help one another, its how we survive.

Keep on keepin’ on

:+1: :smiley:

4 Likes

Here I am, again.
The postman came around about an hour ago and left me a parcel.
Its a wee pressy I gave to myself for being such a splendid fellow.
What is it you ask?
Well, I lashed out on a cheapo walking stick off Ebay.
. . .and what have I been doing since it arrived?
Well its one of them folding jobbies. I ‘ve been on tha’ tintynet and found how to set it to an optimum height and the ‘correct’ way to use it.
. . . now, this splendid fellow has taken it for a test drive around the room.
All appears to be well. I wasn’t sure about these walking stick thingys but I can see this walking around thing might turn into a habit.

Anyway on to serious matters. The Mrs. took delivery, earlier, of an online shop. One item of particular interest was a Chinese meal for two. Well, I’ll be stopping in tonight.

Take care and may you and yours be warm and cosy this November day.

Keep on keepin’ on.

4 Likes

@Bobbi There’ll be no stopping you now you have that stick. Watch out world here comes Bobbi :grin:

Enjoy your chinese…might have to talk hubby into visiting takeaway :yum::yum:

1 Like