Vulnerable after a stroke

Does anyone feel that they’ve been taken advantage of after a stroke. It could be physically, emotionally or financially.

1 Like

@joy.alliy I haven’t felt like that at all. I would like to think people wouldn’t do that but I know that’s not the case. Hope you’re OK xx

Aye, I’ve had people try and gaslight me on my working memory issue but they get it wrong every time. For this reason, I try not to be specific about my symptoms to everyday people around me.

1 Like

I feel vulnerable especially out walking when I have to use two walking sticks or a rollator. On two occasions I have been approached by strangers after using cash machines. My bank have been helpful with this and allow me to do my business inside the bank wherever possible.

The local community Police Officer has recently been in my home and helped me by getting the local Neighbourhood Alert scheme installed on to this computer. This allows me to view safety alerts from Police, Fire Service, Local Council and some other organisations. The latest one is about bogus roofers claiming there is a problem with my roof.

I always keep my door locked and check through the window if someone knocks on the door.

1 Like

@Rups I’m sorry to hear this. I also had to deal with this issue, especially from clients who were expecting to work with the same cognitive functions as before.

1 Like

@sunnyday I’m glad to that the bank has been helpful in letting you use their internal facilities, and that the law enforcement people are also looking after you.

The reason why I started this thread is because I have been asked for money a few times now.

All the people what have asked are all aware that I’ve had a stroke. I’ve also had suppliers from work trying to double change me for services.

Even though my filter levels are low since the stroke, I’m polite enough not to tell them to jog on.

2 Likes

Indeed, there are a lot of opportunists in this world. Fortunately, there are also a lot of genuine people to counterbalance it. I look for the latter on most occasions. Hope you are doing okay. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m doing well @Rups just waiting for the next heat wave. Even though I lived in the UK for a long time on and on, I still prefer tropical weather as it works best on my recovery.

1 Like