Vitamin B12

Hi

Has anyone ever tried vitamin B12 injection for reducing nerve sensations?

Thanks
Debbie

1 Like

Hi Debbie

Thank you for your post. I’m just replying to bump this back up to the top of the Latest list to see if anyone can help.

Thanks
Ashley

1 Like

Hi Debbie @Vinylchick - I did have B12 injections for a while after my stroke but that was because my GP discovered my levels were low and not because of any specific nerve sensations. I had the intensive regime for a couple of weeks, followed by quarterly injections. I now take a supplement each day and that keeps my levels at the right point.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Thanks, being refused even a test at the moment! :pensive:

Hi Debbie, have you had your B12 levels checked. What about iron and folate levels too. I have Pernicious Anaemia/B12 deficiency, and have just suffered a 3rd stroke aged 52. My first stroke affected my right side, leaving me with nerve pain. Over the last 8 years I’ve been suffering with loads of new problems, including neurological ones. After 5 years of research and private testing, I was diagnosed by a private consultant. I started B12 jabs last August, but suffered my 3rd Stroke in September. My Stroke consultant thinks my strokes are due to PFO (hole in heart).

2 Likes

Hi

Still not been formally tested (that I know of) but last lot of bloods they said was fine.

Find it frustrating that we are trying to improve to live our best lives with our limits but just feel medics have attitude that you are alive, what’s the problem?!?!

Hope they give you a final diagnosis so that you can get treatment and not have any further strokes.

3 Likes

Thanks you for your reply. I’ve just noticed that your post was dated Jan 22. I have just joined this site and I’m still getting used to it. Do you get copies of blood tests? I applied for all of mine going back to 2005, that’s when I found things flagged out of range from 2005!! My B12 was 295 and MCH was over range for over 18 years, never been told anything by a doctor. Shocking.

2 Likes

Hi @Sparky902
You may already know this but if you’re in England there isn’t app that you can use to access all your medical records

If you’re in Scotland like me then all the technology is there for the politics doesn’t allow access to your own records :frowning:

I wonder if we band it together and list these sorts of issues whether we can encourage some change. I don’t think that those that claim to advocate on our behalf are listening to us maybe we should shout a bit louder?

Anyone else feel the same way?

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Hi Simon
I have had to apply for my medical records going back to my first stroke in 2005. We have moved from South Yorkshire to Shropshire, where we have been for the past 10 years.
All of my GP records are updating online, but my hospital records aren’t. Will have to get my hubby to see if I’m missing something. Easy to do for me.
Have you a problem with your B12?

2 Likes

Not that I know of but then maybe I’ve had blood tests with bad results not being told! :frowning:

1 Like

It’s shocking, I no longer trust everything doctors tell me. I do my own B12 jabs every other day, as recommended by the B12 society. My GP isn’t following NICE guidelines which state every other day jabs until no further improvements.
My uncle is suffering because his GP will only do a jab every 3 months, despite having Pernicious Anaemia, he is now suffering from Dementia.

Vitamin B12 and folate perform several important functions in the body, including keeping the nervous system healthy.

A deficiency in either of these vitamins can cause a wide range of problems, including:

• extreme tiredness
  • a lack of energy
  • pins and needles
  • a sore and red tongue
  • mouth ulcers
  • muscle weakness
  • problems with your vision
  • psychological problems, which can range from mild depression or anxiety to confusion and dementia
  • problems with memory, understanding and judgement

Some of these problems can also happen if you have a deficiency in vitamin B12 or folate but do not have anaemia.

Trying to get through to my Dad the importance of getting tested along with his other brothers and sister. My grandmother had Pernicious Anaemia and was never treated properly,

2 Likes