Vision problems after stroke

does anyone have problem with eyes?   are there any new breakthroughs?

Hi Frank

Thanks for your message.

Problems with vision can happen after a stroke and you can find more information about this both in the following leaflet - https://www.stroke.org.uk/resources/visual-problems-after-stroke

Also, this part of My Stroke Guide may be useful for you in understanding more about vision problems after stroke - https://mystrokeguide.com/advice-and-information/physical/sight-after-stroke

I am unsure of any breakthroughs, maybe you could speak to your GP to see if they are aware of anything? Or look at this link - https://www.ukctg.nihr.ac.uk/

I hope this helps Frank.

Take care

Vicki 

Hello,

After my stroke, I lost about 12.5% of my vision, or half of one quarter of it. Back in 2011, that was enough for me to lose my driving licence. 

Wind forward 7 years and my last visual field test showed I had 93% vision - I can see everything but not below my chin on my left side.

It really has improved over time.

They say time, patience and nature are the three great healers.

Shortly after my stroke, I was immediately discharged by the Opthalmologists because “Nothing could be done”.

Well, far from nothing being possible, it has improved.

I was fortunate to only be slightly affected by my stroke visually. I’ve not had any form of therapy but try to live as normal a life as possible and play a lot of video games too.

You already have the ability to recover, just give it time.

Damian

1 Like

Hi I have lost part of my peripheral vision 

I am aware of some restorative therapies but they seem to offer some level of improvement and no guarantees.

See UCL website that offer some therapy sessions via your computer.

I understand your frustration as I get just as frustrated with my vision

hi i have lost my left side vision in both eyes. nobody ever mentioned about any therapies. everyone was just after my licence to be surrender. no one no one explain me anything how to carry on....i am still bumping into people. i guess one day i will learn after all those bumps.

1 Like

Hi! I had my stroke end of April 2017. My right side was affected, including vision field loss. It affected the upper quadrant of my right eye. I stayed in hospital for 6 weeks. After that it took 10 months until my consultant said I can tell DVLA. He didn't think I will be allowed to drive. He said I can try asking DVLA to medically investigate me although he doubted a positive outcome. I refused to give back my license voluntarily. I asked DVLA to investigate me first and if after their assessments they think I will not be a safe driver only then will I surrender my license.

I had no therapy but I read as much as I can and kept looking at things. It was frustrating at first but I just kept doing it. I combined it with rehabilitating my right arm. I lost my capability to write with my right hand. So initially I read motivational quotes and poems,  and copy/write them down with my left hand then eventually my right. I read, exercised my eyes by looking at as many things I can look at and tried any exercises I can find on the internet. I still have my vision loss but it has minimised (or maybe my brain retrained itself) and my vision improved. After almost two years I have been allowed to drive again. I still have dropped foot and vision loss but I can drive again using an ordinary manual car.

Keep researching about possible exercises for your eyes but make sure you keep using your eyes and your vision will eventually improve (most probably it will never be like pre-stroke but it will improve) because your brain will rewire. 

Goodluck and best wishes. 

1 Like

Dear Ruby

What a lovely and an inspirational post.

You have summed up exactly what our recovery is about...being positive and cheerful.

My eyesight was not affected (right lacuna infarct) and I have often wondered if loss of eyesight could be the same as all our other woes...its just the messaging system broken. You very much appear to be proving that point.

Driving does give independence.

You have cheered up a rather grey Monday morning

Colin

1 Like

Good morning Colin! It is good to know my post cheered up someone's day, LOL. That cheered me up in return. Have a good week despite the dreary weather. Well, we can't complain - it is autumn anyway. With my best wishes for all of us always... Ruby laugh

Hi Frank, I am nearly 3 years post stroke and have visual field loss on my left. I have been using a couple of free online therapy web sites, both have been developed by UCL and are funded by the Stroke Association.  

They are Eye Search and Read Right

I have also recently attended an appointment with Professor Leff at the National Hospital in Queens Square, London, which was very interesting. As with other problems following a stroke, it is not actually a vision problem but a problem with the messages getting to your brain but unlike other parts of your brain that can develope new pathways, the part that deals with vision is very specific and once damaged, cannot be retrained.

I can't honestly say that the therapy worked wonders but it's worth a try.  

Hope this is helpful

Regards Sue

Hi sorry your feeling like this your right about the lack of emotional support for partial visual loss . I was left with the feeling that I should just go home and stop being a nuisance what did I expect them to do.

Doctors are not taught enough about emotional support. They have being challenged and label you difficult and a nuisance.

We are constantly being made to experience conveyer belt care that doesn't always meet are specific needs, Therapies such as visual restoration that is unavailable on NHS.

But if we allow poor care to continue it may only get worse

this is very sad, yes they do make you feel like that. my gp does clearly. 

all i can say keep observing yourself. what you can or what you cannot. dont be harsh on yourself. 

1 Like

I have had a lot of eye trouble since stroke4 years ago does anyone know of any treat ment? ihave found nothing inthe leeds area

SusanJane I don't know when you replied I wonder if Federov in Germany treat eye problems FrankW

hi sue,again,i don'know when you posted I usedtolive in Ealing but amnow in Leeds I guess I am lucky really, my eyes are my only problembut I believe I could be curedgiven treatmentbut they just giveme eye drops which area waste of time sport orenergeticdancing works wonders Doctors won'tlisten to my opinion the coved doesn't help see you Frank

hi sue,again,i don'know when you posted I usedtolive in Ealing but amnow in Leeds I guess I am lucky really, my eyes are my only problembut I believe I could be curedgiven treatmentbut they just giveme eye drops which area waste of time sport orenergeticdancing works wonders Doctors won'tlisten to my opinion the coved doesn't help see you Frank