Virtual reality Headset

have tried to get hold of my docs, but they are understandably busy so thought I would ask here.
M y wife asked if I would like a VR headset ( oculus Quest) bur said is it alright to use one after a stroke. As I haven’t got a clue thought would raise it here. Any views appreciated.

I think I would try to use it. If you get troubled by the results, then set it aside until you are, say, two years post stroke then have another go.

I always try to remember that the stroke ended on day one and now it’s all about recovery.

I can not envisage your GP being well informed for that question.

Best wishes
Colin

1 Like

Hello @Al59, are you planning on using it for gaming or rehabilitation? After the stroke, I started playing video games of an evening with my youngest son, then I continued to play puzzle-adventure games without my son, and now I find not only has it helped me with coordination, memory, but also it relaxes me for an hour or two.

VR has been widely used for post-stroke rehabilitation, but I guess the main question would be, what content Oculus has for recovery purposes, and at what cost (VR headsets are not cheap). You may have to be a bit inventive as to what you use for rehabilitation, whether it is appropriate games to augment what content Oculus has for stroke rehabilitation, I know that they have the Rewellio stroke therapy app, but it didn’t have many good reviews. At the end of the day, tech of this sort always maintains a fairly good re-sale price, so if you can’t return it, you might be able to sell on for near the retail price, or pass on as a present.

However, personally, I see nothing askew with using a VR headset after stroke, in fact, I can only see benefits from my perspective. I have friends who are in their late sixties who have tried their children’s VR sets, and thought they were truly terrific. As I mentioned, VR has been widely used as a home rehabilitation alternative for stroke survivors who don’t have access or finances for expensive therapy provided by private medical establishments.

If you are not used to computers or you are not particularly tech savvy, it will be a learning curve, more so from frustration than anything else. I haven’t used one myself, but I imagine you’ll need to download the content, and navigate your way through menus &c.

1 Like

Thank you for that. It is something that we are looking at So might just go for it and see. Thanks again

I think you would be ok with it but stop if it is too unsettling after my stroke i found it hard to concentrate occ therapist suggested puzzles jigsaws crosswords etc,eventually they have helped concentrate and problem solving but I still have trouble doing kids jigsaws which my 6yr and 4yr old grand daughters find hilarious. So haveca go and see if you enjoy it :wink:

1 Like