Urine Infection

I have recently managed to get a urine infection. This is the second time I have had one and I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem. Hope to hear from other stroke survivors.

2 Likes

I had one after being taken off my catheter six years ago but none since. I think in the early years of recovery we are more prone to some ailments. I had conjunctivitis too. Nowadays I just have all the ailments associated with old age.

2 Likes

I haven’t had one since my stroke but make sure you’re drinking plenty of water & if it’s not clearing up then see your GP for some antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon. Urine infections are miserable xx

2 Likes

@l_platt My sympathy to you. I hope you ‘get well soon’.
Strangely, yes, I too have some sort of infection. No idea how or why it appeared, not been catheterized or anything like that.
Had it for a week or two, unsure what it was as it started with a new tablet I have had prescribed. I originally thought maybe side effects.
The doc eventually has prescribed antibiotics, they just arrived within the hour. It is a week’s course of two tabs a day, with meals. I’ll be starting them tomorrow morning at breakfast. If you are curious they are called nitrofurantoin, specific for this sort of problem, apparently.
I hope it sorts things out. I am experiencing pain and difficulty passing water resulting in cloudy urine. Not pleasant.
I’m drinking plenty and hope it clears after treatment and that you too have a successful outcome.

The last few days I’ve been a bit low and not had the will or energy to get into anything. I hadn’t thought of why. As you say being miserable is a ‘side effect’ of an infection and of course, I should have realised, that explains my sad spirits. I feel better already understanding this. I don’t much like being ‘down in the dumps’.

3 Likes

Dear Bobbi I am sorry to hear of your problem. I don’t think I have passed it on through the forum!!! Seriously I am not too I’ll with it , just experiencing discomfort and frequent visits to the loo. Since we only have one loo, I am not very popular. My antibiotics are also two per day but I have only got three days.They are called Nitrofurantoin. Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery. Love Lilian xx

1 Like

@Bobbi I remember when I had one it made me extremely miserable. I waited ages to see GP & as soon as I did he gave me antibiotics & within a day or 2 I felt so much better.
Would never leave it so long again.
Really hope your antib’s kick in quickly & your spirits are lifted again.
Keep your clear fluid intake up. If you’re like me & like coffee that can make an infection worse.

1 Like

Hello Lilian @l_platt. I had a UTI the first time they tried to remove my catheter. I unfortunately ended up back in HDU with other complications as a result but antibiotics resolved it. I was left with some infarcts in my kidneys (I had other stuff going on which will not be a problem for you) but despite this I have had no further problems. Drink plenty and keep hydrated, it seems counter intuitive when you know you are rushing to the loo all the time, but very important. Hope you feel better soon, Julia x

2 Likes

I had the start of an infection at the beginning of the year and bought some D-Mannose capsules (an active ingredient in cranberries). It worked for me, but I caught it early. Might be worth a try. I try to avoid antibiotics wherever I can.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. I found them very encouraging and don’t feel as alone with my infection. Good to hear from so many of you. Lilian

3 Likes

I’ve taken my first tablets now, one yesterday and another this morning. It seems to have banished the pain and overall I’m feeling much more ‘pro-active’. I’ll be taking the whole weeks course prescribed by my doctor and feel quite optimistic about results.

Does anyone else read those leaflets in with the pills telling you about all the possible horrendous side effects?
‘If you slip into a coma contact your GP straight away’. So far no problem, unless this is all a dream and I actually am comatose, I’ll be trying not to worry.

I’m sending good vibes your way Lilian, you’ll soon perk up ! ! :smiley:

I’ve started to initiate a new batch of sourdough starter, today. Things must be on the rise !!

1 Like

@Bobbi so pleased to hear your spirits are higher today. I’m still trying to work out how you call for help from a coma :rofl::rofl: let’s hope no side effects for you. You need to finish the course of antib’s even if you feel loads better else it might come back.
Good to hear your baking skills are being put to use again.

1 Like

Hi Bobbi. I am glad you are feeling better. I love your comment about slipping into a coma! I am much improved and no longer have to fight with my husband for the loo. I had my first short walk in the garden. I I must confess it is a very small garden and I used my rollator… Good luck with your recovery and the sourdough. Love Lilian

3 Likes

I am so glad I found this thread! I thought I was the only one having repeated Urine infections and they make you feel so miserable. Plus they make my speech go haywire, very upsetting it is hard won as I’ve got so far. I think will ask for an emergency like someone suggested, it is dreadful if it happens over a weekend . Moira

3 Likes

I’m plugging along okay, made mam’s fruit loaf, had slices for tea. Sourdough will be for another day.
Feeling satisfyingly worn having got something done. The end of the day now time to relax, take it easy and rest.
Take care all of you, :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m pleased to report that the antibiotics seem to have cleared the symptoms and I feel much brighter. I still have a few days tablets and will continue to complete the course. I think I must have been pretty run down, a number of general aches, pains and sorenesses seemed to have left me too.

As Mahoney and others have said @l_platt I hope you are feeling much better too. That was an unpleasant patch to pass through. My best wishes go out to any others who are also undergoing this experience.

1 Like

@Bobbi good to hear you’re feeling much better & that some of your other aches & pains have eased too.
@l_platt hope you are feeling loads better too.
Have a good Sunday xx

Hi everyone. Thank you for your kind messages. I am now back to my normal self. I managed this morning to walk from the car to Costa, about two hundred yards.
with my rollator. I am really pleased with the achievement. Lilian

4 Likes

@l_platt that is good to hear :smiley:

Was also prescribed nitrofurantoin , which did not suit me. I felt terrible and was violently sick. GP gave me something else and my urine infection cleared up. Mine was post catheterisation. I seem to have been OK since. But now know that I am allergic to nitrofurantoin!

1 Like