Understanding Motivation after Stroke - University of East Anglia

We are looking for stroke survivors to take part in an internet survey about motivation, mood and abilities after stroke. Anyone who is 18 or over and has ever been admitted to hospital following a stroke is very welcome to take part.

Stroke can cause a loss of motivation, interest and concern known as apathy, thought to affect as many as a quarter of stroke survivors. Apathy can be a barrier to their stroke rehabilitation, as it can make it harder for them to find the motivation to take part in treatment. It also affects everyday life, making it harder for them to look after themselves or do everyday tasks. Despite this, apathy is not always assessed after stroke and it is unclear what is the best way to understand and assess apathy after stroke.

Our research will help decide if a particular apathy questionnaire would be a useful assessment for stroke survivors, to detect and make sense of difficulties with motivation. You can decide if you want to take part in the survey or not – the research is completely voluntary and will not affect your care. All your answers will be confidential and stored in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation.

If you would like to take part, please email stroke.psyresearch@uea.ac.uk . You do not need to have problems with motivation to take part. You can also email for more information.

If you choose to take part in the study, you can choose to be entered in to a prize drawer where you could win one of five £25 Amazon Vouchers.

Members of the study team:

Pernille Myhre, Trainee Clinical Psychologist1

Supervisors: Dr Catherine Ford, Clinical Lecturer in Psychology 1
Dr Ratko Radakovic, Neuropsychology researcher1

Research Panel: Dr Fergus Gracey, Senior Research Fellow1

Collaborators: Dr Andrew Bateman2 & Dr Sara Simblett2

1Dept of Clinical and Applied Psychology, UEA, 2The Oliver Zangwill Centre for Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, Ely

i will happily fill in questionaire, but clicking on the link doesnt get me anywhere.

Plase note I am a stroke survovor and I dont think clearly due to the brain damage.