Travel insurance recommendations, please

We had to cancel our all-in-one cruise (Christmas, New Year, 50th anniversary) on the Queen Mary 2 due to my wife’s stroke in May. We were not yet insured, but Cunard were very understanding and rolled our deposit over to cover the same cruise next near.

I won’t make that mistake again. My wife is regaining mobility and speech and I’m confident we’ll be ready in December, but I would be most grateful for recommendations on a reasonable, reliable insurance company to provide our coverage.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi @skladd - we had to cancel a fairly expensive trip to South Africa when I had my stroke four years ago. Last year we rebooked the trip (plus two other holidays) and my partner had a TIA and subsequent surgery, resulting in more cancelled holidays. For all of those we were insured by Staysure and they paid every claim, which I think is the test of an insurer.
I can recommend them but I would also recommend doing a comparison so you can see what works best for you. Obviously you will need to declare all medical conditions, even those that are minor and unrelated to the stroke.
Good luck!

@skladd i too used LV. You could also try payingtoomuch.com & medicaltravelcompared.com

I’ve heard of people using staysure too.

Just remember to declare everything & enjoy your cruise. I’m very jealous. Love cruising xx

1 Like

Many thanks@JSCAPM! I’ll take your good advice and do some comparisons.

Many thanks, Loshy
I’m going to check out all the recommendations I receive.

1 Like

Thanks you Mrs5k!
The plan will take us to New York, the Caribbean, back to NY then home. 28 days but we’re not counting any chickens yet. We’ve got a lot of rehab between us and the high seas.

2 Likes

I really hope it works out. It sounds amazing. I never count any chickens now but theres nothing wrong with a but of hope & it gives you both something great to aim for.

1 Like

Hi, my husband and I have travelled abroad 3 times since my stroke in 2017 and have always used a comparison website. You can see exactly how much you are paying and the different types of cover available. Just make sure you declare everything.

Your trip sounds amazing. Have a great time.

Regards Sue

1 Like

Hi. It’s always best to shop around (try comparison websites?). I get mine yearly via my bank. Make sure you declare everything to them. Also, check how much they’ll cover you for. Amounts vary. So far I’ve been lucky and haven’t had to make any claims since my stroke, but after we were caught in the tsunami in 2004, they had to shell out mega £££s. Even then it didn’t cover everything, but we got the rest back through the home contents insurance.

Money supermarket has an article
And
The SA page Travel insurance for stroke survivors | Stroke Association has a recommendation

Different strokes has a ‘compared’ at https://differentstrokes.co.uk/travel-insurance-after-a-stroke/

Hope that helps

That’s great. Thanks very much, Simoninedinburgh. That gives me a lot to work with!

1 Like

Thanks, Minnie. That sounds like the way to go.

Hi all,
My wife and I are looking at a holiday abroad in 2024, but wondered if anyone has firsthand experience of insurance companies and rough costs? We were looking at sightseeing abroad - 14 days max, unless these insurances last 12 months??

Thanks everyone, Bert

1 Like

@Bert i have used LV in the past. Others recommend Staysure. You could also look at www.medicalteavelcompared.co.uk

Costs will vary dependent on destination, duration & health conditions.

You can get single trip or annual policies.

Hope you manage to find something & enjoy a fab holiday when you go.

1 Like

Hi @Mrs5K, thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and thanks so much for the info, it’s really appreciated.

It’s nice to know that all of us can still get holiday insurance and travel to somewhere nice if we are fit and able to do so.

Take care, Bert.

1 Like