TIAs and emotionally anxious

@chrissydawn

Hi,

My loss of speech was very short-lived to be honest. And it’s all rather vivid. At 4am on 30th December I woke up and sipped water. At 6am the alarm woke me up for work and I couldn’t open my mouth! Within a short time I could say odd words, and so on and so on. Since then, I feel I got to an excellent percentage rapidly but the last couple of % of fine-tuning are taking their time. It still makes me giggle that I struggle to say “Hospital” yet I can easily say “Osteoporosis”!

And to add, I’m no medical expert but like @SimonInEdinburgh I think you have more going on. Your symptoms do seem more severe than a TIA - especially the frequency of and other elements you’ve mentioned.

Hoping you get some good answers, and soon. May I be nosey and ask what BP you get when on the cusp of an attack? My TIA day evolved going to the GP first - for my speech oddity - only to be told I’d probably had a stroke/TIA and my BP was 280 even then!

Jonty.

When i lost my speech on this recent attack my words slurred and then it went fully. At times i struggled to understand the words of others. At times ive struggled to say some words but if i practise i can eventually say them. Its more word finding issues I have for instance I could be mid senstence and cant find the word I need.

My bp wasnt as high as yours around 200 i think for the top figure. It then decreased to a 170 to a 140. This was last year on one of my attacks which ended me up in hospital for two weeks when i lost my speech and the use of both legs. Hence now the left sided weakness and limping.

My bp today was 103 top figure. As ive been quite althetic until recently my physio thinks this is the reason my body is with standing these attacks to an extent.

The nureologist also thinks some sort of underlying illnesses and requested new mri.

@chrissydawn

Hi,

There are some similarities here for sure, and no doubt you’ve already read and are aware. I too had the embarrassing slurry spell. Sounding as if you’re inebriated when completely sober wasn’t nice - and I still get signs now when I’m extremely tired. I’ve never experienced issues understanding others but I can certainly relate to word-finding mid-sentence, or, I seem to know words ahead and will swap-out before I get to that word.

I’d agree that your general state of fitness has probably helped. I didn’t need to but elected to make a few subtle changes - to help with the overall effort. It’s been mentioned the rate of my recovery has been helped by it. So do keep to all things good in general - with the odd naughty moment!

Hope a new MRI adds some value. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Jonty.

Dear Simon,

I am just curious - so you had multiple mini strokes before you had the big ischemic stroke? Am I right? Were you on medication to stop the big stroke you had? Just curious.

My mother’s stroke was a brain bleed from low platelets caused by an autoimmune blood disease (very rare). We think it was a spontaneous brain bleed, even though she seemed to have fallen out of bed. The doctors said that there would have definitely been a big bruise or bruises on her head if she had fallen on it because her platelets were very, very low. She had none, so they all said it was a spontaneous brain bleed. I suppose. We never got any straightforward answers from doctors.

1 Like